Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 8:40 Quote
OakRider19 wrote:
hey guys, so im considering buying a raceface n/w chainring and ditching the chainguide altogether on my dh bike. any thoughts on this? any imput is appreciated Smile

I know two people that took their guides off and they were fine at pretty gnarly mountains.

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 8:48 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
OakRider19 wrote:
hey guys, so im considering buying a raceface n/w chainring and ditching the chainguide altogether on my dh bike. any thoughts on this? any imput is appreciated Smile

I know two people that took their guides off and they were fine at pretty gnarly mountains.

They work fine, just the chainring seems to wear out a little faster than a straight ring, leading to dropped chains when badly worn.

Ps
@ mtbrider71
I'm glad you notice the difference too! You obviously ride real Dh trails too

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 8:49 Quote
Anyone could 'technically' get away just with N/W ring, clutch derder for DH stuff. But imo its just a bit silly and redundant. Causes more risk with no clear benefits. Why not hold onto the few extra grams of weight of the chainguide, no N/W ring, and never worry about that one time you wished you had a taco/chainguide, or the potential chain drops at a bad timing.

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 8:54 Quote
It looks cool though!

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 8:57 Quote
Yeah definitely. But i think a standard RF chainring looks more than good as well!

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 9:04 Quote
Guys, just wanted to come back and say sorry for being a little bitch yesterday. I was very pissed off, and shouldn't have posted anything in that state of mind. But I think the problem is just the stiffness differential. I rode the bike more and got more use to the way the bike handles. So, to some up, sorry for being a little pissant to you all.

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 0:59 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:

Dual crown is positively more stiff and you will notice the difference. Don't know how anyone who has ridden both would say different.

Put your e-dicks away.

+1 you wil notice the stiffness but it also depends what you come from. Some SC will be stiffer than others and some duals will be less stiff so depending what you come from and go to you may or may not notice it as much.

Whether you feel the change or not its there. fox just made their forks more compliant because they were too stiff. Boxxer when from the 32 chassis to the 35. Stiffness is a big factor and while the difference between a SC and DC fork might be small than that of a stanchion change it is still there.

Now lets move on.

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 20:42 Quote
Ok, feelin a little frustrated lately; I bought my DH bike a year ago and it's been fun to ride, but I keep wondering if I bought the right size. I bought a large but Im not sure if I made the best choice. I'm 5' 11" so I could go either way. Is it better to have a larger frame or is a medium better? It's very mentally draining to keep thinking if you made a bad choice or not spending all that money on the wrong thing. Can anyone give some of their own thoughts about my situation?

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 20:43 Quote
JW9-23 wrote:
Ok, feelin a little frustrated lately; I bought my DH bike a year ago and it's been fun to ride, but I keep wondering if I bought the right size. I bought a large but Im not sure if I made the best choice. I'm 5' 11" so I could go either way. Is it better to have a larger frame or is a medium better? It's very mentally draining to keep thinking if you made a bad choice or not spending all that money on the wrong thing. Can anyone give some of their own thoughts about my situation?
In the same boat. I bought the large because a longer bike is more stabile at speed

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 20:48 Quote
Does the bike not work for you or are you getting inside your own head too much? If you're having fun with it it that's what counts. If you're having doubts and you've had it for a year then go ahead and trade or sell it for another bike. You're going to want a new bike eventually anyway. Keep it and ride it or switch it up, either one works, just don't think so dang much.

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 21:07 Quote
JW9-23 wrote:

You aren't the only one who has been in this situation. I was (wrongly) sold a glory size small as the shop owner stated to me that you want a smaller sized frame. After about 6 months of riding on this, I finally saved the money to upgrade to a Norco Aurum 6.1 (large frame size). All in all worked out well as I have got the bike upgrade I wanted and it feels much much better riding the correct size.

That being said, I'm your height and a large feels great for me. As another poster said, if you are having fun & it feels comfortable then try not get into your head so much - just ride Smile

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 21:16 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
Does the bike not work for you or are you getting inside your own head too much? If you're having fun with it it that's what counts. If you're having doubts and you've had it for a year then go ahead and trade or sell it for another bike. You're going to want a new bike eventually anyway. Keep it and ride it or switch it up, either one works, just don't think so dang much.
Yeah, that's my problem, I'm a horrible perfectionist. My real problem is I'm not sure if it works for me or not because it my first DH bike. I do enjoy riding it, but sometimes I wonder if it's giving me issues in tight corners, or if it's just me not know how to ride properly Smile . But your right, I probably just need to stop thinking too hard about it.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 21:17 Quote
JW9-23 wrote:
mrgonzo wrote:
Yeah, that's my problem, I'm a horrible perfectionist. My real problem is I'm not sure if it works for me or not because it my first DH bike. I do enjoy riding it, but sometimes I wonder if it's giving me issues in tight corners, or if it's just me not know how to ride properly Smile . But your right, I probably just need to stop thinking too hard about it.

Go to a riding camp

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 21:22 Quote
twood92 wrote:
JW9-23 wrote:

You aren't the only one who has been in this situation. I was (wrongly) sold a glory size small as the shop owner stated to me that you want a smaller sized frame. After about 6 months of riding on this, I finally saved the money to upgrade to a Norco Aurum 6.1 (large frame size). All in all worked out well as I have got the bike upgrade I wanted and it feels much much better riding the correct size.

That being said, I'm your height and a large feels great for me. As another poster said, if you are having fun & it feels comfortable then try not get into your head so much - just ride Smile
Thanks for the feedback! It really does help to hear from people who are about your size who have dealt with the same situation. I'm probably fighting my O.C.D Smile thanks!

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 21:28 Quote
airmiller44 wrote:
JW9-23 wrote:
mrgonzo wrote:

Go to a riding camp
Ha, ha, yeah totally. I actually do want to someday Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017379
Mobile Version of Website