Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 23:44 Quote
skibabird wrote:
Drivetrain question: Shimano Saint or Sram XO DH?
saint hands down

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 0:07 Quote
mate1998 wrote:
skibabird wrote:
saint hands down
ok. saint it is!

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 0:20 Quote
skibabird wrote:
mate1998 wrote:
skibabird wrote:
saint hands down
ok. saint it is!
Good choice. Faced the same decision after my 9sp cassette got worn out and I decided I wanted a clutch derailleur. Almost went SRAM, but then I looked into my box of broken Sram derailleurs (honestly, I service a lot of friends' bikes in Whistler/Van), and took the saint. Works amazing, and it's RIDICULOUSLY easy to set up well. I literally mounted it, set the top and low stroke adjustment screws and that was it, didn't even need to touch the cable.

Also, the dual release feature is about the second best thing to happen to shifting (only topped by the clutch) recently.

/shimano fanboi!

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 0:34 Quote
i agree with the double shifting feature.

i have never really run sram stuff out of choice, it has always come stock on my bikes and then i eventually upgrade it out. although my dad's 650b HDR has XO1, so we'll see how long that lasts lol.

im running a type 2 sram X9 setup now on my DH bike and the clutch f*cking knocks when my rear suspenion compresses. thats why im upgrading.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 0:49 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
+1 on the trail thing!
also, what's more gay is when a guy turns up at the smooth trails still wearing all the neck brace and shizz, and don't even ride like they mean it!

Its wrong to be protected when you could literally break your neck on any fall?

I don't understand why people take issue with someone been safe or expect them to ride better because they have better or more gear on. Who cares if the guy rocks up in medieval armor and wants to ride, your not the one riding in it.Ride the bike have fun and let him do the same.

Arnoodles wrote:
goldhecklerswag wrote:
what characteristics make a downhill bike stable in the air?
It's more important that it fits you properly than that the bike is inherently stable in the air. A longer bike is probably gonna be more stable in the air, but I won't worry about that if you're building it up. As far as components I'd say the same as for a frame: make sure it fits you and you're comfortable.

Could go the other way, a over sized bike would create an unbalanced launch and lots of bike to move in the air maybe too much. As noted get the bike that fits.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 0:56 Quote
slidways wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
+1 on the trail thing!
also, what's more gay is when a guy turns up at the smooth trails still wearing all the neck brace and shizz, and don't even ride like they mean it!

its gay to be protected when you could literally break your neck on any fall.
I think its gay that people judge someone for been safe or expect them to ride better because they have better or more gear on.

Yeah ok I'm gay too then....
Dude seriously you should come ride over here....
You'd laugh HARD at them too if you were here.

You know the sort, all the gear, no idea! Or All show and no go! Or even my favorite, All the kit, don't know $hit!
The UK is full of them........

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 1:41 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
slidways wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
+1 on the trail thing!

its wrong to be protected when you could literally break your neck on any fall?

I don't understand why people take issue with someone been safe or expect them to ride better because they have better or more gear on. Who cares if the guy rocks up in medieval armor and wants to ride, your not the one riding in it.Ride the bike have fun and let him do the same.

You know the sort, all the gear, no idea! Or All show and no go! Or even my favorite, All the kit, don't know $hit!

ah you quoted me before I edited it. your too damn quick.

I know the type and I get it but does it really matter?
For the sake of keeping cycling a good community we need to be welcoming and accepting of newbies. They clearly don't feel as confident on the trail as others and feel better with the gear so let them do so. Or maybe they have a legitimate reason where they cant afford getting injured. Better off encouraging them than pulling them down.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 1:42 Quote
Well 9/10 people with a Porsche can't drive worth a shit, but who cares. It's their money.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 1:45 Quote
SWenduro wrote:
Well 9/10 people with a Porsche can't drive worth a shit, but who cares. It's their money.

So true!!

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 4:06 Quote
I know a guy climbing up a paved path gear slipped whent over bars with helmet and died.be safe

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 4:11 Quote
You mean knew a guy?

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 4:31 Quote
slidways wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
slidways wrote:

its wrong to be protected when you could literally break your neck on any fall?

For the sake of keeping cycling a good community we need to be welcoming and accepting of newbies. They clearly don't feel as confident on the trail as others and feel better with the gear so let them do so. Or maybe they have a legitimate reason where they cant afford getting injured. Better off encouraging them than pulling them down.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 4:53 Quote
iffy wrote:
slidways wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:

Plus one. there is always going to be someone better, faster, more skilled, bigger balls. Go on take the piss out of others that are not as skilled as you, guess who looks like the jerk. everyone has to start somewhere. encourage not discourage.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 5:41 Quote
I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to dig it up using the search thread function.

I recently broke one of my cheap Gusset Slim Jim LB pedals and am now in the market for something new. Suggestions on quality low end DH pedals?

Also (and unrelated). I've been having some issues with my back tire sliding out on turns from time to time. Any tips on better cornering when this happens? I try to keep good form (elbows and knees bent, weight centered on bike, outside foot down and heel down)

Thanks all.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 6:26 Quote
sbomb wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to dig it up using the search thread function.

I recently broke one of my cheap Gusset Slim Jim LB pedals and am now in the market for something new. Suggestions on quality low end DH pedals?

Also (and unrelated). I've been having some issues with my back tire sliding out on turns from time to time. Any tips on better cornering when this happens? I try to keep good form (elbows and knees bent, weight centered on bike, outside foot down and heel down)

Thanks all.
For flats I've really fallen in love with my crampon ultimate. Only real fault it's that they use grub screws add noble will point out.... BUT they have heads on both sides so if you do rip the top off one it can still be replaced easily. I know they aren't exactly entry level but they are likely the lady pedals you will ever buy. Spank spikes also get great reviews and are a little more budget friendly

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018852
Mobile Version of Website