Norco Aurum owners

PB Forum :: Downhill
Norco Aurum owners
Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 9:06 Quote
That is the top of the BB shelf isn't it?

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 9:15 Quote
It's on the weld of the lower shock mount. And I just notice it when I was cleaning once. Don't know how long it had been there but norco replaced it quickly and I've heard of others doing the same. I had just been doing some 40-50 foot tables and a 17ft drop though and had a few cases on the jumps so that may have weakened it. I don't think that's pushing the bike though. As in I've seen them done on carbon enduro bikes.

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 17:48 Quote
lukachadwick wrote:
jskiff wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:

I think just the 2012 ones cracked?

And the warranty is only for the first owners I believe.

Now that's worrying, I've just bought a 2012 Aurum 2 :-( and I'm 15st - 6'2".

The forums & reviews I read never reflected that, is this a commonly held belief? If anything I was given the impression that they were considered to be quite bomb proof. The PB review of the Aurum 2 2012 was really quite glowing.

Oddly, I was going to but a Nukeproof Scalp, I only went off that idea because they seemed to have a habit of snapping.

Cheers,
John.

This was quite a common issue http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/11303152/

Photo from mine.

mine did the same thing

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 12:18 Quote
That's all a bit worrying!

Oh well got it now, not a great deal I can do!

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 12:55 Quote
The shocks not great anyway. Fox van rc is cheap and a lot better.

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 13:29 Quote
Jacob001 wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:
jskiff wrote:

Now that's worrying, I've just bought a 2012 Aurum 2 :-( and I'm 15st - 6'2".

The forums & reviews I read never reflected that, is this a commonly held belief? If anything I was given the impression that they were considered to be quite bomb proof. The PB review of the Aurum 2 2012 was really quite glowing.

Oddly, I was going to but a Nukeproof Scalp, I only went off that idea because they seemed to have a habit of snapping.

Cheers,
John.

Photo from mine.

mine did the same thing

What year are all your bikes?

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 13:51 Quote
2012 Frown

The one i just bought 2nd hand haha

Fingers crossed I'll be lucky enough to have one does have a defect or whatever it is that causes the cracking!

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 17:08 Quote
lukachadwick wrote:

I disagree, after having ridden both shocks, on my aurum can say the x-fusion is tons better than a van rc.
This despite the fact that the reservoir came loose and had to be sent it to be tightened under warranty.
I can feel a difference with just one click on either rebound, or compression, minimal stiction .
has held up great after a season at whistler. just my 2 cents

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 17:17 Quote
mikecawsey wrote:
qman11 wrote:
mikecawsey wrote:

Bumpers: http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=aurum&x=0&y=0

Axle: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/syntace-x-12-steckachse-150-157mm-76371
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/syntace-x-12-thread-insert-539/wg_id-1310

Pretty sure they both ship internationally.

Does anyone know where I can buy a "Aurum Linkarm Upper Shock Pivot Bolt Kit" http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/2013-aurum-linkarm-upper-shock-pivot-bolt-kit-ec055259? Mine has become worn and developed some play, hasn't lasted very long.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://images.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/6cd/f80/aa6/114108/product_page/norco-2013-aurum-linkarm-upper-shock-pivot-bolt-kit.jpg
I road my Aurum for 2 seasons and the shock only started getting play this year, I would try changing the DU bushing on the shock first as that's generally what causes play in the shock area or you may be feeling play from a worn out bearing .

That's what I thought when it developed some play, so I swapped out the upper bushing for a TFTuned heavy duty one, although now I can see there was nothing wrong with the old/stock bushing, which was the 2013 onwards Fox polymer bushing, much better than DU btw.

I wonder if some grit got trapped in there rubbing about or something? Anyway, no worries and thanks guys, I have sent an e-mail to Evans Cycle special orders for the part.
Pic:
photo

One thing to try first is grind/file the end of the axle that the bolt threads into down a mm or 2. I've seen a lot of them stretch/wear out just enough that you can't get the bolt tight enough as it buts up against the axle.

Also you can use a standard M8 bolt and and nut in a pinch. It wont damage anything just doesn't look as good.

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 19:34 Quote
NorwegianBackcountry wrote:
Jacob001 wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:

Photo from mine.

mine did the same thing

What year are all your bikes?

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 0:03 Quote
goytay wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:

I disagree, after having ridden both shocks, on my aurum can say the x-fusion is tons better than a van rc.
This despite the fact that the reservoir came loose and had to be sent it to be tightened under warranty.
I can feel a difference with just one click on either rebound, or compression, minimal stiction .

After replacing the x fusion with another and ten 3 months later it doing the same thing, norco replaced it with a van Rc and I was a bit annoyed as id heard the vector was the best thing around for the price but instantly the fox felt far more progressive and far more supportive. I don't know if I'd failed to get the vector set up properly though

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 8:25 Quote
lukachadwick wrote:
goytay wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:

After replacing the x fusion with another and ten 3 months later it doing the same thing, norco replaced it with a van Rc and I was a bit annoyed as id heard the vector was the best thing around for the price but instantly the fox felt far more progressive and far more supportive. I don't know if I'd failed to get the vector set up properly though

sounds like you may have has a rubbish vector,which can happen to any brand.If your happy with your shock,and are pumped to ride,that's all that counts.

Cheers
Brian

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 8:56 Quote
goytay wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:
goytay wrote:

sounds like you may have has a rubbish vector,which can happen to any brand.If your happy with your shock,and are pumped to ride,that's all that counts.

Cheers
Brian

I must admit I'm quite happy with the Vector, needs a heavier spring (waiting for stock), however it tracks really well and I feel fairly planted for a low end shock.

At least it feels that way to me, I ride a lot more trail than DH so I'm not the best person to make comparisons. But from the bikes I've rode with DHX, RC4, etc... I don't feel that it's any less capable.

Time will tell and if it blows up or whatever then I may have a whinge, but for now it feels spot on :-)

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 9:35 Quote
jskiff wrote:
goytay wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:

Cheers
Brian

I must admit I'm quite happy with the Vector, needs a heavier spring (waiting for stock), however it tracks really well and I feel fairly planted for a low end shock.

At least it feels that way to me, I ride a lot more trail than DH so I'm not the best person to make comparisons. But from the bikes I've rode with DHX, RC4, etc... I don't feel that it's any less capable.

Time will tell and if it blows up or whatever then I may have a whinge, but for now it feels spot on :-)

The vector isn't bad - I just struggled with reliability and the fox just feels better for me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017983
Mobile Version of Website