curved wallride

PB Forum :: Trail Building
curved wallride
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 17:30 Quote
Just thought i would post what i plan on building in the spring in my backyard. (all that will be built is the wallride, all the other stuff is there)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/coltonlake/curvedwallride.jpg

Just thought i would show all you other trail builders what i plan to make in my backyard. So far, i have a 10 foot roll in, to a 5.5' tall table top with about a 6 to 7 foot "gap", to a P.O.S. berm, which is going to be replaced by what i have above (the curved wall ride) which will turn you around 180 degrees. Then you pedal your anus off to a roller which sends you down into the ground and off about a 4 foot kicker to a nice "soft" pile of dirt.

But anyway, what do you think of the design for the curved wall ride thing? Do any of you have experience building anything like it? Any input is appreciated. I will get pics of the entire setup in the spring, because right now, there is about a foot of snow on the ground.

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 17:39 Quote
That looks well nice, you will need about the same distance behind, as it is tall, to make supoports right at the back as it may try and fold. looks sweet thoug.
Pics of the proposed site, with existing bits too?

PS what are the radius and hight of the wall?

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 17:43 Quote
I've never built anything like that but I would think that it should be a bit less curved... it seems like quite the tight curve

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 19:54 Quote
well fromt the very bottom of the wallride to the very top will be about 7'6". The radius will be in between 6'6" and 7' so it seems like that is tight enough to make you stick to the wall and have traction, but not be slamming you into the wall.

And like said in the original post, there is tons of snow on the ground nowThumbs Down , so it will have to wait until spring, or until it all melts.Madder

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 2:42 Quote
yeah sketchup. that looks sweet be fun to ride. but make sure you do brace it enough.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 14:08 Quote
pretty good idea, but i wouldn't make it straight up, it will be a bit difficult to get on, and at high speeds you might mess up and grind your face off the wall.

i suggest putting it back about 10 degrees so that its still a wallride, but it will be easier to get on, and you will ride longer then a straight up wall. also i wouldn't use plywood, i would probably dig the shape of the wall out first about 4 feet into the ground (it will be super sturdy) then use 2x4's and put them in and form the shape of the wall, then put dirt in, or cement if you have/ can afford it, and put a few supports at the back.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 17:11 Quote
odin333 wrote:
pretty good idea, but i wouldn't make it straight up, it will be a bit difficult to get on, and at high speeds you might mess up and grind your face off the wall.

i suggest putting it back about 10 degrees so that its still a wallride, but it will be easier to get on, and you will ride longer then a straight up wall. also i wouldn't use plywood, i would probably dig the shape of the wall out first about 4 feet into the ground (it will be super sturdy) then use 2x4's and put them in and form the shape of the wall, then put dirt in, or cement if you have/ can afford it, and put a few supports at the back.

I am going for price efficiency, so building it strictly out of 2X4's is out of the question. So since i am building it out of plywood, there is no logical way to lean it back without wasting wood/time/making it less smooth. And yes i have thought of making it not so vertical, but if anyone has a way to do this, yet not was a lot of wood, i am open to opinions. I would be angling it between 10* and 20*. thanks

Posted: Dec 22, 2007 at 16:11 Quote
Any thoughts of a way to angle this thing?

Because if it is vertical, i can just take plywood and place it horizontal on the posts. But if i were to just angle it with the curved section designed as above, the ends would be 1-2' higher than the middle of the wall ride. But maybe this is desirable. So input on if i should build it like this with the 1-2' difference of height from the ends and middle.

It would be much easier and economical to build the wallride vertical without having to use more cement, more wood, and much more time and thought, but maybe this would make it nearly impossible to ride, so thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the novel

Posted: Dec 22, 2007 at 16:16 Quote
dirtjumprider1 wrote:
well fromt the very bottom of the wallride to the very top will be about 7'6". The radius will be in between 6'6" and 7' so it seems like that is tight enough to make you stick to the wall and have traction, but not be slamming you into the wall.

And like said in the original post, there is tons of snow on the ground nowThumbs Down , so it will have to wait until spring, or until it all melts.Madder

WAY too tight. You need about a 10' Radius for a mountain bike.

Posted: Dec 22, 2007 at 16:32 Quote
dirtjumprider1 wrote:
what about a bmx?

Still pretty tight. Even on a BMX I wouldn't build it with a radius tighter than 8'.

Posted: Dec 23, 2007 at 9:29 Quote
allright, thanks. i will probably try to make the transition in between 8' and 8'6"

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.017803
Mobile Version of Website