Hub sizing confusion; 135x 10mm, 9mm ?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hub sizing confusion; 135x 10mm, 9mm ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 5, 2012 at 8:28 Quote
Hey!

I'd like to get explanation on rear hubs; I'm confused about the sizing for standard quick release and most of my search results were contradictive. Standard quick release use 9mm or 10mm axle ? Some manufacturers, like easton, advertise their havoc wheels as available in 135x10mm QR, with a possibility to use a replacement 10mm Bolt-On axle. If it's standard quick release, how come I see 9mm and 10mm used in the nomenclature of this type of axle ?

Second question;

Is the only thing separating thru axle from QR, is the way it attach to the drop outs ? Thru axle means it passes from one end of the hub to the other, and secure itself in place on the drop outs, whereas for a QR type of hub, a skewer is used to attach the wheel, passing through the axle that remains on the interior of the hub ?

Thanks !

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 at 8:49 Quote
Front QR dropouts are 9mm and rear QR dropouts are 10mm. So you can use the 10mm bolt through axle in your standard QR rear dropouts.

With a QR hub, it's the hub axle thats 9mm and thats what slots in the dropout, the QR just provides tension to keep the wheel in the dropout. A through axle is one piece that goes through the hub and both dropouts and is clamped. Yeah the internal hub axle just has a larger hole to accept the bolt through axle and the internal axle does not protrude from the ends like a QR hub.

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 at 9:00 Quote
Alright thanks for the explanation !

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 8:15 Quote
Hey guys, I'm also a bit confused.

Just wondering if 135 X 10 and 135 X 9 qr hubs can be used interchangeably?

I want to use 135 x 9 qr hubs for a dj bike, but does the bike need to have specific drop outs to accomodate this?

any help would be great, thanks!

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 8:35 Quote
Leafs1 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm also a bit confused.

Just wondering if 135 X 10 and 135 X 9 qr hubs can be used interchangeably?

I want to use 135 x 9 qr hubs for a dj bike, but does the bike need to have specific drop outs to accomodate this?

any help would be great, thanks!

Well, rear QR axles are 10mm and front QR axles are 9mm. If its a rear hub that says either 9 or 10mm then it will fit in your standard QR dropouts no problem

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 8:44 Quote
Thanks man, very helpful! cheers.

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 5:31 Quote
Im confused too, seen a dmr rear hub listed as 9mm rear qr too and a frame I want is listed 135x10mm, if I pair these together will there be play in the back end?

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 7:36 Quote
Need help! My frame(octane one zircus) 2022 takes 135mm hubs and the width of my current axle is 10mm if I was to use a 135x9mm axle would this be bad or can I use it?

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 23:04 Quote
'Need help! My frame(octane one zircus) 2022 takes 135mm hubs and the width of my current axle is 10mm if I was to use a 135x9mm axle would this be bad or can I use it?'

The information in this old thread is still accurate and relevant. Quick release is standard. Front quick release axles will be 9mm diameter.

Rear quick release axles are obviously longer and are 10mm diameter to be a bit thicker/stronger compared to front axles.

Both front and rear quick release skewers are 5mm diameter and just different lengths to match dropout spacing.

Any 135 quick release rear hub will have a 10mm diameter axle to fit properly into rear 10mm dropout slots.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011250
Mobile Version of Website