Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 5:20 Quote
A new Air Shaft is like £30 to reduce the travel of Pikes.

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 5:34 Quote
peter413 wrote:
A new Air Shaft is like £30 to reduce the travel of Pikes.
rrrrr really I had no idea you could reduce the pikes . Bonus thanks . I'll be very happy if I can get them to 150 it will stop my stering wondering all over the shop when climbing tho some guy said it was becouse I'm useing a 60mm stem so it makes stering wonder when climbing mmmm then I was told it was forks being 160 way to go to confuse me lol .

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 21:08 Quote
Ive been told that Nukeproof frames run pretty big, is this true? I'm coming off a 17" norco frame that is much too small for me (6 feet tall), would a 20" Mega TR frame be too big do you think? Thanks Smile

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 21:56 Quote
I'd say the new ones run true to size. The older Mega's were way too small.

At your height you could run the L or XL but the XL might feel a little big after your Norco.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 5:38 Quote
peter413 wrote:

At your height you could run the L or XL but the XL might feel a little big after your Norco.
Hmm, okay thank you Smile I would prefer a large but I'm ordering off of crc and they only offer s, m, and xl because I assume they sold out of larges (2013 frame) so I guess I'll just get used to the big frame, thanks a lot Smile

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:10 Quote
FWIW I'm 5'11" and ride the large with a 45mm stem and find it great but I seem to like longer bikes. Something else to check is that you can actually get the seat low enough. I know it would be touch and go for me on the XL frame if I could fit my Thomson Dropper or not.

If it wasn't for the seat height issue I'd love to have a try of an XL with a super short stem. Yet another thing to keep in mind is the wheelbase. It's already pretty big on the large. It's only. 20mm shorter than the wheelbase was on my Flatline.

When I said you could run either at your height that was taking into account personal preference of longer or shorter bikes. Usually you'd go for the large at 6'. I'd be pretty worried about the XL being too big unless you know you like longer bikes. The large felt huge coming from my 17.5" Marin which was also too small for me.

If you're sure the sizing is ok though then go for it, they're great bikes before you even consider they're so much cheaper than other bikes.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:18 Quote
peter413 wrote:
FWIW I'm 5'11" and ride the large with a 45mm stem and find it great but I seem to like longer bikes. Something else to check is that you can actually get the seat low enough. I know it would be touch and go for me on the XL frame if I could fit my Thomson Dropper or not.

If it wasn't for the seat height issue I'd love to have a try of an XL with a super short stem. Yet another thing to keep in mind is the wheelbase. It's already pretty big on the large. It's only. 20mm shorter than the wheelbase was on my Flatline.

When I said you could run either at your height that was taking into account personal preference of longer or shorter bikes. Usually you'd go for the large at 6'. I'd be pretty worried about the XL being too big unless you know you like longer bikes. The large felt huge coming from my 17.5" Marin which was also too small for me.

If you're sure the sizing is ok though then go for it, they're great bikes before you even consider they're so much cheaper than other bikes.
Do you think a medium Mega would be much bigger than my Norco? For the record the norco feels so small that I feel silly riding it sitting down...also I currently run a 35mm stem which I plan on transferring (all parts except shock/fork) onto a TR. I really appreciate the help, thankyou

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:24 Quote
With that small a stem I'd think it would be too small. Compare the geometry charts though, especially the reach and wheelbase. If you've got a longer stem you can try on your Norco I would. Switching from a 40mm to a 60mm on my Marin made a huge difference and might give you a better idea of what sort of size you're looking for.

The most important thing I would say though is if you don't think it will fit then don't buy it. It doesn't matter how good a bike is, if it doesn't fit then it doesn't fit.

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:29 Quote
peter413 wrote:

The old Megas have the same seat tube length and reach measurements as the new style 26in Mega AM. The 650b Mega AMs are only 3mm longer than the old Mega, with the size small actually being shorter. Not much difference at all.

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:35 Quote
dingus wrote:
peter413 wrote:

The old Megas have the same seat tube length and reach measurements as the new style 26in Mega. The 650b Megas are only 3mm longer than the old Mega, with the size small actually being shorter. Not much difference at all.

Not the one I actually rode, the medium fitted more like a small. IIRC the 26 TR has the longest reach of all the Mega's. I always ignore the height of the bike. The length is what's important and then I check if I will fit the seat tube height.

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:41 Quote
johnpierro13 wrote:
Ive been told that Nukeproof frames run pretty big, is this true? I'm coming off a 17" norco frame that is much too small for me (6 feet tall), would a 20" Mega TR frame be too big do you think? Thanks Smile

Is it the 26in or 27.5in model you are looking at? The 27.5 is a bit shorter. I'm 6ft and my large Mega is just big enough with a 50mm stem, an XL would probably be a bit more comfortable for shredding the gnar though. With a 35mm stem I reckon you'd be fine on an XL (reach wise anyway), a medium would be too short for sure.

As peter said, just check that you can get the seat low enough, you can roughly check that on your existing frame. I have my Reverb almost at the minimum insertion line on my Mega, so I'd probably manage a 20in frame.

Again, as peter said, the wheelbase on an XL is going to be pretty hefty, so if you ride a lot of tight, twisty trails then maybe consider something with a shorter rear end that's going to be a bit more nimble.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:54 Quote
dingus wrote:
johnpierro13 wrote:

Is it the 26in or 27.5in model you are looking at? The 27.5 is a bit shorter. I'm 6ft and my large Mega is just big enough with a 50mm stem, an XL would probably be a bit more comfortable for shredding the gnar though. With a 35mm stem I reckon you'd be fine on an XL (reach wise anyway), a medium would be too short for sure.

As peter said, just check that you can get the seat low enough, you can roughly check that on your existing frame. I have my Reverb almost at the minimum insertion line on my Mega, so I'd probably manage a 20in frame.

Again, as peter said, the wheelbase on an XL is going to be pretty hefty, so if you ride a lot of tight, twisty trails then maybe consider something with a shorter rear end that's going to be a bit more nimble.
Thanks Smile I compared the geo numbers between my bike and the XL, the effective TT length is only 30mm longer on the XL, the only major difference is the 3" difference of the seat post height. I will check later to see roughly if that would really effect my riding at all. Thanks again Smile

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:57 Quote
johnpierro13 wrote:
dingus wrote:
johnpierro13 wrote:

Thanks Smile I compared the geo numbers between my bike and the XL, the effective TT length is only 30mm longer on the XL, the only major difference is the 3" difference of the seat post height. I will check later to see roughly if that would really effect my riding at all. Thanks again Smile

What about the reach? That's the one that really matters as the ETT is only relevant for when you're sitting and I found the ETT on the TR is smaller than the reach compared to other bikes.

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 7:02 Quote
The seat tube on the Mega is at a pretty steep angle, so it probably doesn't slope as far away from the headtube as it does on your norco, which means whilst the effective top tube isn't going to be much longer, the reach measurement (BB to headtube measured horizontally) is probably substantially longer (could be 50mm+ longer).

Reach is a more important than ETT as a measurement as that's gives you an indication of the length standing on the bike, i.e. when riding technical stuff and jumps etc.

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 10:48 Quote
I'm 6ft4 and on a 2012 Mega XL (627.6mm ETT, 460mm reach) with a 35mm stem. I'm used to bikes that are too short for me, but even after two years it still feels a little long so my next frame will be shorter. A friend of mine is about 6ft1 and rides an XL 2013 Mega AM and likes it. Read into that what you will, but if you're undecided I'd recommend sizing down.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017523
Mobile Version of Website