Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 13:52 Quote
ThomDawson wrote:
kes2903 wrote:
Why was the filing necessary? I want to fit a coil on mine but not if I have to file the frame!!

Not all shocks will fit in the frame. The way the front shock mounts were designed doesn't leave much clearance for the 'shoulder' of some shocks. Afaik all cane creeks are ok, most air can shocks but not Fox or Rockshox coils. There are a lot of shocks that fit but only upside down or reversed which is no biggy but The RC4 will only fit the usual way due to the large piggy back res. The guys at Nukeproof will be able to let you know whether or not most shocks fit and most others have been tried by somebody somewhere in the shadows of the web.
In theory a coil or very coil-like air shock should work best with the leverage curve of the 290 (probs 275 too) so I think it's a good idea but I will confirm in a week or two when I've properly tuned and tested it. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to get the file out, had serious doubts myself.

For anyone interested in using different shocks Nukeproof just let me know that Sam Hill's mechanic got the vivid coil working by filing the shock itself rather than the frame mounts.
Just to reiterate I'm not reccomending filing anything ;-) unless you're happy to say goodbye to your warranty of course.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 3:45 Quote
I tried an older 2013 Monarch + and it's so much better, 2014 onwards Monarch have digressive compression and it just feels harsh on the Mega.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 4:05 Quote
Think I'm gonna get a kage rc or van rc and run it back to front/upside down

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 4:33 Quote
Some pics of the adjustments I've made to my Mega 290 frame. This is after preliminary filing, I will tidy it up and repaint next week and post more pics for anyone who cares.
photo
photo
photo

As I said previously I have used offset bushings (both oriented the same way so as not to alter geometry) to minimise the amount of material I had to remove. Still seems to be plenty of material left, I went and dropped an 11 set to flat and purposely landed hard and nothing broke so fingers crossed it'll be fine.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 6:43 Quote
That's a lot of filing. Running the shock upside down would have fitted nicely

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 7:47 Quote
Lurch-ECD wrote:
That's a lot of filing. Running the shock upside down would have fitted nicely

Urgh....no it wouldn't. Once again thanks for your input but if you had read any of my previous comments you'd know I've already stated it doesn't fit any other way.
If you must spew random comments without reading previous posts then please refrain from assuming I haven't already considered every option before settling on the best.

I didn't file a hole in my frame just for shits and giggles.

Something a little more constructive while I'm here though - Adam Wight off of Factory Jackson tried a Float X in his and said it was superior and more tuneable than the Monarch and that one will fit upside down without any mods.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 8:46 Quote
Just fitted a DVO Jade in my 2016 mega 275 without any filling! Unfortunately it is upside down but it's off for a test ride tomorrow! Cool Drool

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 20:02 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
Just fitted a DVO Jade in my 2016 mega 275 without any filling! Unfortunately it is upside down but it's off for a test ride tomorrow! Cool Drool

Let us know how does it rides.
I'm itching for a Dvo Topaz but unsure whether will it be any better than my current monarch+

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 23:55 Quote
Not sure who's this is but for anyone not following NP on insta -
https://instagram.com/p/BPDk1DoDpuJ/

Looks as though the Fox Float X2 fits nicely and looks rad!

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 12:38 Quote
TKPooP wrote:
Hi y'all! I own a 2014 Nukeproof Mega AM 27.5 bike which I bought two years ago. I've been dealing with a lot of chain slap on the chainstay and was wondering if those of you who own sort of the same bike had been dealing with this also.

I run a 1X10 setup with a 32T NW chainring on the front + a bashguard. On the rear there's an 11-36 cassette and a sram GX 2.1 rear derailleur.

Is it possible the chain length should be setup in a different way than the common method, as in shorten it more than I should? Will a chainguide eliminate the chain slap?

Thanks!

I run with same setup on my Mega AM 1x10, 32T on front and 11-36 cassette and i also have some doubts about chain length, i noticed to much chain slap and recently i removed one link, some photos:

36T
photo

11T
photo

In the majority of cases i use this cog for descend.
photo

The link i have removed
photo

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 5:20 Quote
Hey luisferreira, interesting that you experience the same issue with your Shimano Zee which is a small cage derailleur. My sram gx is a medium cage derailleur so I thought using a small cage might help... so maybe not. I'm not sure.

How many links do you have on your chain currently? Mine has 56 links at the moment. I haven't taken out more links yet... My chain is at the correct length currently so I'm a bit afraid to try shortening it although the rear derailleur cage has more space to move when in the largest cog and when the bike is fully compressed so I believe it should be fine and I don't ride downhill on the largest cog anyway...

Are these photos taken when the bike is fully compressed?

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 6:34 Quote
TKPooP wrote:
Hey luisferreira, interesting that you experience the same issue with your Shimano Zee which is a small cage derailleur. My sram gx is a medium cage derailleur so I thought using a small cage might help... so maybe not. I'm not sure.

How many links do you have on your chain currently? Mine has 56 links at the moment. I haven't taken out more links yet... My chain is at the correct length currently so I'm a bit afraid to try shortening it although the rear derailleur cage has more space to move when in the largest cog and when the bike is fully compressed so I believe it should be fine and I don't ride downhill on the largest cog anyway...

Are these photos taken when the bike is fully compressed?

Hi TKPoop,
in my Shimano Zee i switched the short cage for a medium cage from oneup components the Radr Cage, you can see in the pictures.
photo

When i take these photos the chain had 54 links but at the moment i've added the link i removed previously now i have 56 links on my chain like you because i remove all air from rear shock and i realized the derailleur gets too tight in the largest cog when the bike is fully compressed.

I thought exactly the same thing i will never ride downhill on the largest cog and i believe i will never will compressing all the travel on the largest cog but perhaps it is better that way to avoid any problem.

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 7:13 Quote
So did you get rid off the slaps? also, do you have a chain guide? and what chain ring do you run on the front? Maybe it could be a chainline issue...

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 11:45 Quote
TKPooP wrote:
So did you get rid off the slaps? also, do you have a chain guide? and what chain ring do you run on the front? Maybe it could be a chainline issue...

With 56 links i feel chain slap as before, no i don't have a chain guide, my chain ring is from OneUp a Narrow Wide M8000 with 32t, about chainline i will try to put this shims to correct the chainline, anyway next week i will reiceive a new bundle from CRC (cassette SLX HG81 11-36 + Chain XT HG95) and with this shims on chainring maybe can help, my current cassette already have some time..

photo

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 19:07 Quote
I had heavy chainslaps on my old Mega TR 26.
Try installing a Bionicon C Guide. It will fix your problem.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015264
Mobile Version of Website