Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 6:49 Quote
[Quote="ThomDawson"]
MikeAzBS wrote:

I see your shock has a M/M tune, is that stock from the factory or have you changed the shock? Sorry if you've already mentioned it, I scanned back but didn't see anything ;-)

No it didn't come stock. I called RockShox and spoke to a tech about the issues I was having. Pretty much the same issues everyone else mentions. I read a few of your posts and pretty much had the exact same experience trying to get the shock just right. He recommended the Bronson version with M/M tune. So far it has been great. Still have a little bit of fine-tuning to do, but I am hundred percent satisfied and confident with the rear shock setup now. One other thing the tech mentioned was making sure I was running enough sag on my Fork. The tech brought up the 66° head tube angle and how it doesn't carry/absorb as much of the seated riding weight as a traditional 68 to 70 degree head tube angle. So in the seated position it is really tilting towards the rear even though in the attack position it's at 30% sag. So I set my fork sag at 35% and that seemed to help keep it much more level while seated. So I'm at 35% fork sag, 65 psi, and 1 token. Rear shock is at 30% sag, 245psi, 2 tuning rings. I'm 190 lbs geared up. I set my fork sag in the attack position and shock in the seated position.

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
[Quote="MikeAzBS"]
ThomDawson wrote:
MikeAzBS wrote:

I see your shock has a M/M tune, is that stock from the factory or have you changed the shock? Sorry if you've already mentioned it, I scanned back but didn't see anything ;-)

No it didn't come stock. I called RockShox and spoke to a tech about the issues I was having. Pretty much the same issues everyone else mentions. I read a few of your posts and pretty much had the exact same experience trying to get the shock just right. He recommended the Bronson version with M/M tune. So far it has been great. Still have a little bit of fine-tuning to do, but I am hundred percent satisfied and confident with the rear shock setup now. One other thing the tech mentioned was making sure I was running enough sag on my Fork. The tech brought up the 66° head tube angle and how it doesn't carry/absorb as much of the seated riding weight as a traditional 68 to 70 degree head tube angle. So in the seated position it is really tilting towards the rear even though in the attack position it's at 30% sag. So I set my fork sag at 35% and that seemed to help keep it much more level while seated. So I'm at 35% fork sag, 65 psi, and 1 token. Rear shock is at 30% sag, 245psi, 2 tuning rings. I'm 190 lbs geared up. I set my fork sag in the attack position and shock in the seated position.

Great info, thanks for that mate!

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 2:32 Quote
Scout build from frame only. Playing with bar height before getting the steerer cut.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2017 at 14:30 Quote
MikeAzBS wrote:
Yep, my daughter had a few of them laying around and I figured why not. I have shrink wrap underneath as well.
I've used shrink wrap before. But I bet those would work good for cable rub areas. Looks good.

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 23:46 Quote
I just built up a Medium Mega 290 and ran into a few issues:

1. My Fox 36 TALAS travel change lever comes into contact with the downtube when turning the bar.
2. The linkage (near the seattube) has developed a creaking/knocking sound during hard pedalling ON IT'S 2ND RIDE. Can also be heard when trying to flex the rear triangle by pulling on the rear tire and pushing on the seattube.

Any of you experienced this? It's quite frustrating because it's a bnew frame from CRC and it's definitely the most confidence inspiring bike I've ridden.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 0:12 Quote
Mounted a new shock, first ride was promising Smile

photo

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 0:26 Quote
triacontakaidigon wrote:

1. My Fox 36 TALAS travel change lever comes into contact with the downtube when turning the bar.
2. The linkage (near the seattube) has developed a creaking/knocking sound during hard pedalling ON IT'S 2ND RIDE. Can also be heard when trying to flex the rear triangle by pulling on the rear tire and pushing on the seattube.

Any of you experienced this? It's quite frustrating because it's a bnew frame from CRC and it's definitely the most confidence inspiring bike I've ridden.

Yeah I experienced the knocking bearing noise too. Mine was emanating from the main pivot link. I read about a few more cases of this too, in my case I removed each one of the linkage bolts and added a touch of blue loctite and it's solved the problem. Some have suggested that the bearings fitted from the factory are sub par and some decent Enduro Max or the like will improve things.
I would definitely drop NP some correspondence though, they must be aware that this is an issue.

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 2:59 Quote
ThomDawson wrote:
triacontakaidigon wrote:

Yeah I experienced the knocking bearing noise too. Mine was emanating from the main pivot link. I read about a few more cases of this too, in my case I removed each one of the linkage bolts and added a touch of blue loctite and it's solved the problem. Some have suggested that the bearings fitted from the factory are sub par and some decent Enduro Max or the like will improve things.
I would definitely drop NP some correspondence though, they must be aware that this is an issue.

Thom,

Sorta good to know it's not only me regarding the knocking sound. When you say main pivot, is it the one near the BB?

BTW, did you get to service the seatstay ones? The ones on mine are really tight. I don't want to force it since i feel like I'm going to round the hex key hole. They're normal rotation right (lefty loosey righty tighty)?

Messaged NP on FB and I got (still is) seenzoned.

-JR

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 3:29 Quote
triacontakaidigon wrote:
ThomDawson wrote:
triacontakaidigon wrote:

Thom,

Sorta good to know it's not only me regarding the knocking sound. When you say main pivot, is it the one near the BB?

BTW, did you get to service the seatstay ones? The ones on mine are really tight. I don't want to force it since i feel like I'm going to round the hex key hole. They're normal rotation right (lefty loosey righty tighty)?

-JR

Yup, closest to the BB was the first one so I loc tited that and later had the same from the rocker link. On my bike it was a simple case of bolts coming loose and the loc tite fixed it.

They're all regular thread, lefty loosey. If they're tight already I'd leave them but if you still have problems my best guess would be the cheapo bearings. It could be that NP are adding some loctite from the factory now after feedback and that's why yours seem so hard to remove. But im just guessing.

Hope you get it sorted!

PS, I've only had issues with my rocker link and the main pivot, I haven't touched the seatstay linkage as far as I recall.

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 18:54 Quote
ThomDawson wrote:
triacontakaidigon wrote:
ThomDawson wrote:

Thom,

-JR

Yup, closest to the BB was the first one so I loc tited that and later had the same from the rocker link. On my bike it was a simple case of bolts coming loose and the loc tite fixed it.

They're all regular thread, lefty loosey. If they're tight already I'd leave them but if you still have problems my best guess would be the cheapo bearings. It could be that NP are adding some loctite from the factory now after feedback and that's why yours seem so hard to remove. But im just guessing.

Hope you get it sorted!

PS, I've only had issues with my rocker link and the main pivot, I haven't touched the seatstay linkage as far as I recall.

Quick update on this. Brought it to the LBS as I didn't want to FUBAR the bolts. They too found that it was too tight and decided not to open the links themselves. As a last resort, they dripped a few drops of oil on the main and upper pivot. Voila, no more knocking sound. For something that was designed for UK conditions in mind, I am quite dissappointed with the mega's pivot's seals. Will take for a ride to see if that truly eliminates it.

My fork still hits the downtube though. Ugh. Sent NP a note and hopefully I get a response this time around.

Posted: Jan 31, 2017 at 5:31 Quote
triacontakaidigon wrote:
ThomDawson wrote:
triacontakaidigon wrote:

Thom,

-JR

Hope you get it sorted!

Quick update on this. Brought it to the LBS as I didn't want to FUBAR the bolts. They too found that it was too tight and decided not to open the links themselves. As a last resort, they dripped a few drops of oil on the main and upper pivot. Voila, no more knocking sound. For something that was designed for UK conditions in mind, I am quite dissappointed with the mega's pivot's seals. Will take for a ride to see if that truly eliminates it.

My fork still hits the downtube though. Ugh. Sent NP a note and hopefully I get a response this time around.

You really need to find a way to get those bolts out. It's only going to get worse over time and you'll need to get in there at some point. Or be prepared with a drill and new bolts when it comes time for servicing.

There are some companies who make spacers to go under your crown race to help with your fork issue.

Posted: Jan 31, 2017 at 6:15 Quote
Use a heat gun to loosen the locktite if that's why its too tough to undo, Can't imagine the bearings are that bad they're creaking from new, my guess is the bolts are creaking on the inner races?

Posted: Feb 1, 2017 at 17:39 Quote
To anyone interested, NP finally replied. Here's what they had to say about the 2 issues:

Fox TALAS Interference:

"Sorry for the delayed email response. The Talas is not a product that we have tried with the frame. The standard Fox 36' fit and have no clearance issues, I will ask our designer, but not sure what we can suggest."

Creaking and Tight Bolts:

"If you bought the bike form a local bike shop, return the bike to them and ask them to remove the bolt for you (as you may need a large amount of force to remove it.) We have a warranty kit to send out to dealers to replace these bolts/ bearings as a limited amount of frames left the factory with the incorrect loctite- hence the tight linkage.

This needs to be done through a Nukeproof retailer though."

They probablt used red loctite on this batch they're talking about.

Since I bought this from CRC, I was advised to contact their warranty team instead. Hope it goes well.

Here's the bike BTW:

Mega at Patiis

Posted: Feb 6, 2017 at 11:26 Quote
Some action on my Mega AM Smile

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 18:35 Quote
is a medium 16.5 scalp good for a 5'7 dwarf?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.058923
Mobile Version of Website