Coil Vengeance help (from Big Hit?)

PB Forum :: Specialized
Coil Vengeance help (from Big Hit?)
Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 13:23 Quote
loydabmx wrote:
Now I got a yellow spring which is for over 90 kg will be testing this next week.

Hi loydabmx, how does it work with the yellow spring?

I'm running the stock spring (guess it's the green one) with 78kg on a Norco Range, and I feel the fork smooth, only 1 time bottomed (one month using it) and riding hard I use normally about 85-90% of travel, with small drops (max 1 meter high).

I wonder if I should swap the green stock for the blue spring...

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2013 at 14:52 Quote
Just for clarification to anyone looking at this forum and trying to decide on a spring. The "yellow" spring discussed here is really the orange spring. Yellow is extra soft for riders less than 50 kg or 110 pounds. The orange is the extra firm spring for riders over 190 lbs or 86 kg.

http://www.xfusionshox.com/images/pdf/Air_Coil_Spring_Chart.pdf

I should be riding an orange but I have a blue with the HLR dampener. The dampener really helps with the dive and on bigger drops while maintaining the plush-ness of the smaller quicker bumps. This fork is awesome once you get it dialed.

Posted: Nov 29, 2013 at 5:28 Quote
Hi all,

I found this thread as I wanted to know what the air valve did on the bottom of my Vengeance coils (from a Big Hit).

Well I've completely dismantled the damper assembly and it's actually quite interesting:

At the bottom end of the damper is an internal air piston that creates an air chamber (which the valve fills). At the other end of the air piston is the damper fluid (which isn't able to get past).

It seems that the at the end of the compression stroke this 'air chamber' gets compressed and creates a force which ramps up at the end. I experimented a bit (with the main coil spring removed) and it does make a difference at the very end of the stroke.

So I guess this is a feature that specialized specced on the fork to give it less of a linear feel and stop it bottoming out as much? (specialized have been know in the past to modify fork and shock components for use on their bikes).

I've left it at 50psi but thought some people may find this interesting.

Posted: Dec 21, 2013 at 5:35 Quote
Petch wrote:
Hi all,

I found this thread as I wanted to know what the air valve did on the bottom of my Vengeance coils (from a Big Hit).

Well I've completely dismantled the damper assembly and it's actually quite interesting:

At the bottom end of the damper is an internal air piston that creates an air chamber (which the valve fills). At the other end of the air piston is the damper fluid (which isn't able to get past).

It seems that the at the end of the compression stroke this 'air chamber' gets compressed and creates a force which ramps up at the end. I experimented a bit (with the main coil spring removed) and it does make a difference at the very end of the stroke.

So I guess this is a feature that specialized specced on the fork to give it less of a linear feel and stop it bottoming out as much? (specialized have been know in the past to modify fork and shock components for use on their bikes).

I've left it at 50psi but thought some people may find this interesting.

After googling several days for the answer(I bought this fork at May and got no answer by then), I reached exactly the same conclusion with you when i overhauled whole damper. it's interesting there's a air piston at the oppsite side of damping piston head. and when it's filled with air, the damper tend to extend by it self when lower's removed. still it's a mystery since no official conclusion.

Posted: Jan 1, 2014 at 3:01 Quote
HotttSauce wrote:
loydabmx wrote:
Now I got a yellow spring which is for over 90 kg will be testing this next week.

Hi loydabmx, how does it work with the yellow spring?

I'm running the stock spring (guess it's the green one) with 78kg on a Norco Range, and I feel the fork smooth, only 1 time bottomed (one month using it) and riding hard I use normally about 85-90% of travel, with small drops (max 1 meter high).

I wonder if I should swap the green stock for the blue spring...

Sorry coil is Orange extra firm with this spring I don't have anymore issues for bottom out but the fork is now very stiff and lost the plush feel on small bumps as I'm 78kg.I removed the rebound knob and opened the damper and there is no oil inside I find this very strange.For example a rock shox domain fork has one side coil and oil in the damper side then it has oil in the lowers for lubrication.Anyone knows if the damper side on vengeance r should have oil and what weight and volume as maybe this is the problem

Posted: Jan 5, 2014 at 17:42 Quote
amigos, no encuentro en ningún lado como realizarle la mantencion a ni xfusion vengeace que tiene mi status 1

Posted: Jan 10, 2014 at 4:06 Quote
Hello guys, i recently took a Vengeance Air R.
From what everybody says, the vengeance R was only coil from some specialized bikes?
How did i manage to find a Vengeance Air R?
I do have the air valve on the bottom of the damper side.

And i do have a significant issue, i have it at 40psi! ( instead of 70 psi for my weight 175lbrs)
And i still can't manage to use the whole travel (maybe 130 out of 170mm).

I dissasembled the fork 5 times and put some fresh Torco rsf mediums, i am waiting some slick honey to grease the whole assembly better in case this is the problem...!

Any input would be valuable! if there is anyone else with a Vengeance Air R

Posted: Jan 27, 2014 at 13:42 Quote
I also need this answer!!! I got my vengeance r second hand. There was no warning sticker & i decided to check the pressure. I pressed it to release the air & a fair bit of oil came out. I got it back in using a syringe but haven't added any air. I noticed that on repeated small hits the fork basically stops working. Something is a miss and help is hard to find!
this thread has more info than the rest of the web!!

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 at 7:19 Quote
My vengeance had a problematic right stanchion.
I found it after disassembling the fork and sliding each stanchion independently into the lowers.
Right one wasn't sliding at all. It was bigger in diameter and the stinction was huge. Fork couldn't operate.
Working on the bushings solved the problem and now the fork is operating well.

Bear in mind that the damper is not the expensive one. Although still good tuned.
Also it has to be at 50 psi (damper valve) to operate right.

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
Ok 50 psi is my next port of call...

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
What is this shit!?? I buy a 2 grand bike with 600 Pound forks on it and they bottom out 170mm of travel on Blue trails!!!
Somethings gotta give?? My 80mm seized manitou forks didnt bottom out as violently!

Wheres the bit i can shove a pump in to get some more balls to it?? from what i read there isnt one

VERY VERY dissapointed in my dream bike purchases forks.

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 19:58 Quote
jwilliamwatson wrote:
Ok 50 psi is my next port of call...

How are you doing that, i mean wheere? The bottom of the fork says not the tamper with it :/ ugh

Posted: Mar 23, 2014 at 7:00 Quote
After taking a deep breath, you need a stiffer spring.

Posted: Mar 23, 2014 at 15:34 Quote
cheers bud, i thought as much, in the mean time bottoming it out wont destroy it will it?? I mean id strongly presume this fork wont break from stock settings?? can i not just pump it up?

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2014 at 10:43 Quote
I had the regular spring and bought a stiffer one. But, and sorry about this, it didn't help at all with the bottoming out. After talking to some guys at X Fusion, I decided that I needed to upgrade the dampener. So I bit the bullet and got the HLR dampener. The difference is unreal. The Vengeance R is a heavy hunk of shit. But the HLR dampener literally makes it feel like a new fork. Sorry for the bad news, but if your luck is anything like mine you'll be bottoming out until you bet the new dampener.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018388
Mobile Version of Website