SRAM Type-2 Derialleur - Will it work with 9 speed shifters?

PB Forum :: SRAM
SRAM Type-2 Derialleur - Will it work with 9 speed shifters?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 11, 2012 at 8:52 Quote
Hello amigos! I have been reading other threads on this discussion and never came away with a clear answer.

I am totally pumped to try out the new type-2 derailleur system. I currently have 9-speed X9 shifters. Will I need to upgrade my drivetrain to 10 speed for the type-2 system to work? Or can I just mount the 10 speed type-2 derailleur to my 9 speed drivetrain and call it good?

Posted: May 17, 2012 at 8:41 Quote
also interested in an answer to this!

I currently have all x9 9spd 3x9. I want to go 2x10 spd, hopefully by just upgrading the cranks, cassette, chain and shifters. But I am not sure if the 2010 x9 rear der will work on a 10 spd cassette and shifter.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2012 at 6:11 Quote
masoniverscass wrote:
Hello amigos! I have been reading other threads on this discussion and never came away with a clear answer.

I am totally pumped to try out the new type-2 derailleur system. I currently have 9-speed X9 shifters. Will I need to upgrade my drivetrain to 10 speed for the type-2 system to work? Or can I just mount the 10 speed type-2 derailleur to my 9 speed drivetrain and call it good?

Haven't tried it, but I'm 99% sure the 9spd cassette won't work with the type-2. The spacing between sprockets is different.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2012 at 6:15 Quote
Rally-Fast wrote:

I currently have all x9 9spd 3x9. I want to go 2x10 spd, hopefully by just upgrading the cranks, cassette, chain and shifters. But I am not sure if the 2010 x9 rear der will work on a 10 spd cassette and shifter.

your x9 9spd der. won't work on a 10spd cassette.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 18:15 Quote
Could you just run the 9 speed shifter with a 9 speed casset but with a 10 speed type 2 rear mech. Doesn't the shifter tell the derailer what to do?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 19:13 Quote
people say a 9sp sram shifter works with a 10sp shimano dérailleur, i wouldn't recommend it.

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 at 7:42 Quote
z-man wrote:
people say a 9sp sram shifter works with a 10sp shimano dérailleur, i wouldn't recommend it.

I've been riding with an SLX plus 10 speed dyna-sys rear derailleur with a sram x9 shifter and it works. the actuation ratio is not exact but very close. It can be made perfect with some washers where the cable is attached.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 6:58 Quote
masoniverscass wrote:
z-man wrote:

I've been riding with an SLX plus 10 speed dyna-sys rear derailleur with a sram x9 shifter and it works. the actuation ratio is not exact but very close. It can be made perfect with some washers where the cable is attached.

Adding washers wont change anything about the actuation rate,

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 19:45 Quote
yeti85 wrote:
Rally-Fast wrote:

your x9 9spd der. won't work on a 10spd cassette.

This isnt what the original post was about I dont think...

I'm under the impression that the OP was wanting to use a X9 Type 2 on a entire 9 speed drivetrain, exactly what I'm planning to do. I plan to swap the stock pulleys on the X9 Type 2 (pulleys made for a 10 speed chain) to 9 speed pulleys to ensure smooth operation. A Sram derailleur being operated by a Sram shifter will do what the shifter controls it to do, so I'd see no issue in using the X9 Type 2 on a 9 speed setup.

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 19:49 Quote
alted wrote:
Could you just run the 9 speed shifter with a 9 speed casset but with a 10 speed type 2 rear mech. Doesn't the shifter tell the derailer what to do?

My thoughts exactly. I've done this before, using a 9 speed derailleur on a 8 speed setup, with no issues. Dont see any conflict in the X9 Type 2 being used with a 9 speed shifter, chain, cassette, and cranks.

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 22:22 Quote
mongoosejake wrote:
alted wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I've done this before, using a 9 speed derailleur on a 8 speed setup, with no issues. Dont see any conflict in the X9 Type 2 being used with a 9 speed shifter, chain, cassette, and cranks.

Please let me know how you get on. I don't really want a 10 speed on back of the 450

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 17:58 Quote
alted wrote:
mongoosejake wrote:
alted wrote:

Please let me know how you get on. I don't really want a 10 speed on back of the 450

It'll be a little while before I do this, but when I do I'll be sure to post up on it.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 19:18 Quote
alted wrote:
mongoosejake wrote:
alted wrote:

nope ive tried this on my TR doesnt work sorry bro! everyone at the shop tried tuning it and messing with the shifter etc but it didnt work out.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 19:28 Quote
it will not work like the other guy said. there is different pull ratios between 9spd and 10spd.

as for the guy running slx 10spd with 9spd shifter, sell your x9 and get a shimano shifter, the shifting is much better

and why not go 10 spd? i like it. i can run a 30-11 cassette and have all the low gears for dh but a couple tall ones for fr/am stuff

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013893
Mobile Version of Website