Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?
Posted: May 13, 2014 at 23:02 Quote
sbrdude1 wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Have yet to ride these due to work so will report back when i've tested them
photo
What was the actual weight of your rotors? Killer build!

Will put a rotor on the scales for you when i get home on the 16th Salute

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 4:24 Quote
delfrmboulder wrote:
photo
New wheels are Trick! Very noticeable difference compared with OEM wheelset. Obviously, much lighter, dropped approx 440 grams. Carbon wheelset weighed in at 1566 grams. Faster due to improved hubs(Hope Pro 2 40T). Best of all, near effortless to turnover. Couldn't be happier.

Couple other mods included in this build. Running tubeless now. Converted rear 5X135 to a 12X142 TA.

BTW, LB shipped a replacement rim free of charge.
Glad to know that they fixed you up with a new rim. Killer looking rig and 440g is almost a pound and it was in the best place to loose it! I dropped about 250g when I dumped my Easton EA70 XCT wheels for my custom LB set and I have only gained posetives from them. I don't really care much for Easton wheels.

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 4:30 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
sbrdude1 wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Have yet to ride these due to work so will report back when i've tested them
photo
What was the actual weight of your rotors? Killer build!

Will put a rotor on the scales for you when i get home on the 16th Salute
Rock on! I have been looking at some Clarks rotors on fleabay but haven't been able to get real world weights. I'm trying to keep things light for my race wheel set but still be durable for regular riding. My wheels are at 1500g with the new 142x12 caps on DT 350 hubs. 32 Spim CX-Rays with their Polyax nipps, 1 layer of Stan's tape, and Speed Evolution valve stems. The build cost me a fair bit but still was under a grand so with the added ride quality I say it was worth it.

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 4:38 Quote
My whole build as pictured was around £430.
From my goldfish-like memory i think the Clarks were a few grams more than the Hope Saw but as i said i will confirm that. I'm not going for lightness though i will be abusing these so got heavy spokes etc..

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 6:11 Quote
£430? How did you manage that?

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 7:38 Quote
dusse123 wrote:
£430? How did you manage that?

Bargain hunting on internetz. All new parts too

Edit: excluding the pimp cassette

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 10:29 Quote
The hopes discs are heavy as shit, waaay more than a plain one piece disc. That's why I stuck with avid rotors on my LB wheels.

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 10:50 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
The hopes discs are heavy as shit, waaay more than a plain one piece disc. That's why I stuck with avid rotors on my LB wheels.

Agree with you on the weight (and i'm not that much of a weight weenie anyway) but aren't the Hopes less likely to warp after repeated heat/cooling cycles because of the semi floating aspect with the alloy bell/spider?

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 11:19 Quote
My 33mm dh hoops should be here next week, was the erd measurement of the hoops close to the advertised 518? What size nipples did you use on the build?

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 11:21 Quote
marshallvintage wrote:
My 33mm dh hoops should be here next week, was the erd measurement of the hoops close to the advertised 518? What size nipples did you use on the build?

34DD :Cool :

Posted: May 15, 2014 at 7:06 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
sq225917 wrote:

Agree with you on the weight (and i'm not that much of a weight weenie anyway) but aren't the Hopes less likely to warp after repeated heat/cooling cycles because of the semi floating aspect with the alloy bell/spider?

That's the theory, I've never ridden anything long enough to put it to the test. The other annoying thing is that they don't line up exactly the same as a plain rotor, so i have to adjust my front brake when i swap wheel to compensate for the different offset. It's only maybe 0.5-1mm but enough to rub like shit as I run em tight.

Posted: May 15, 2014 at 7:38 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:
sq225917 wrote:

That's the theory, I've never ridden anything long enough to put it to the test. The other annoying thing is that they don't line up exactly the same as a plain rotor, so i have to adjust my front brake when i swap wheel to compensate for the different offset. It's only maybe 0.5-1mm but enough to rub like shit as I run em tight.

Yep I've had to play with shims when changing between Clarks and Hope too.

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 13:42 Quote
Looking into buying the new 33mm wide AM rims. Anyone know what size spokes they'll take if using Hope Pro hubs? Thx.

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 13:50 Quote
I just built the same wheels. Hope pro evo 2's? Those hoops I found were pretty much dead on with a ERD of the advertised 518.

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 14:04 Quote
Thanks alot. Have you been able to weigh the set?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015199
Mobile Version of Website