Need a new headset, any suggestions?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Need a new headset, any suggestions?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 13:50 Quote
The headset on my Marin Bobcat Trail has to be replaced.
From factory there was an 'FSA ZST No.10, Internal Headset Steel Cup Plastic Top Cover, Black, 1 1/8" Threadless' headset installed, which has now been removed.

I would ideally like an upgrade from this headset as it has struggled to last two years!
Price wise I would rather not spend much above £30.
Any suggestions on what type of headset to buy would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Chris

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 16:25 Quote
if you can get your hands on a FSA DH Pig Pro, you can't go wrong for the price.

I have one, its seen 9-10 different frames over the last 8 years. Never replaced the bearings, never serviced the bearings. I don't think i even grease them that often. Works wonders, very smooth.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 3:03 Quote
knobzy wrote:
if you can get your hands on a FSA DH Pig Pro, you can't go wrong for the price.

I have one, its seen 9-10 different frames over the last 8 years. Never replaced the bearings, never serviced the bearings. I don't think i even grease them that often. Works wonders, very smooth.

I have seen the fsa dh pig on chain reaction cycles, not sure if it will work on my bike though. Needs to
Be internal/ integrated!
Must be riding pretty hard to have 10 different frames in 8 years!

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 3:08 Quote
Hope headsets are the best IMO

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 3:27 Quote
CaptainLip wrote:
Hope headsets are the best IMO
dabomb headsets are really good

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 3:47 Quote
the superstar ones work a treat for me, ive not a had a problem with mine (cheap and reliable Smile )

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 7:25 Quote
gibsonc wrote:
knobzy wrote:
if you can get your hands on a FSA DH Pig Pro, you can't go wrong for the price.

I have one, its seen 9-10 different frames over the last 8 years. Never replaced the bearings, never serviced the bearings. I don't think i even grease them that often. Works wonders, very smooth.

I have seen the fsa dh pig on chain reaction cycles, not sure if it will work on my bike though. Needs to
Be internal/ integrated!
Must be riding pretty hard to have 10 different frames in 8 years!

not hard, just bored. i used to change my frames quite often. not because they break.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 8:13 Quote
Ok thanks have had a look on CRC and the da bomb ones have a decent price and reviews, hope headsets do look good but are more than I want to spend!
Any opinion on FSA? I know I have had one break on me but I have found one that will fit and at a decent price!

Noob question but if I had an internal headset do I have to put a internal headset back on? Could I replace it with a crank brothers Opium for example?

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 8:59 Quote
gibsonc wrote:
Ok thanks have had a look on CRC and the da bomb ones have a decent price and reviews, hope headsets do look good but are more than I want to spend!
Any opinion on FSA? I know I have had one break on me but I have found one that will fit and at a decent price!

Noob question but if I had an internal headset do I have to put a internal headset back on? Could I replace it with a crank brothers Opium for example?

It depends what you mean by internal. Internal ones are generally found on bmx's and jump bikes, where-as integrated or semi-intergrated are more common on mountain bikes (just to make sure you get the right one)
normally if its a frame built for semi-integrated for instance then thats all yuo can put back in though

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 11:49 Quote
the-wylie-man wrote:
gibsonc wrote:
Ok thanks have had a look on CRC and the da bomb ones have a decent price and reviews, hope headsets do look good but are more than I want to spend!
Any opinion on FSA? I know I have had one break on me but I have found one that will fit and at a decent price!

Noob question but if I had an internal headset do I have to put a internal headset back on? Could I replace it with a crank brothers Opium for example?

It depends what you mean by internal. Internal ones are generally found on bmx's and jump bikes, where-as integrated or semi-intergrated are more common on mountain bikes (just to make sure you get the right one)
normally if its a frame built for semi-integrated for instance then thats all yuo can put back in though

Thanks, its not an internal headset. It is a low stack, semi integrated headset that was in there. What I mean is could I change the low stack integrated headset to a Crank Brothers directset headset?

This is by far the most confusing part of bikes, they really need to get some decent naming sorted out that is consistent. Some FAQs refer to a integrated headset as an internal headset!!! :/

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 12:40 Quote
gibsonc wrote:
the-wylie-man wrote:
gibsonc wrote:
Ok thanks have had a look on CRC and the da bomb ones have a decent price and reviews, hope headsets do look good but are more than I want to spend!
Any opinion on FSA? I know I have had one break on me but I have found one that will fit and at a decent price!

Noob question but if I had an internal headset do I have to put a internal headset back on? Could I replace it with a crank brothers Opium for example?

It depends what you mean by internal. Internal ones are generally found on bmx's and jump bikes, where-as integrated or semi-intergrated are more common on mountain bikes (just to make sure you get the right one)
normally if its a frame built for semi-integrated for instance then thats all yuo can put back in though

Thanks, its not an internal headset. It is a low stack, semi integrated headset that was in there. What I mean is could I change the low stack integrated headset to a Crank Brothers directset headset?

This is by far the most confusing part of bikes, they really need to get some decent naming sorted out that is consistent. Some FAQs refer to a integrated headset as an internal headset!!! :/

I wouldnt have thought so mate no, the directset looks like a normal headtube mounted system where as the semi-integrated ones dont really have the cups and just sit in the headtube. ive just bought the exact same type one from superstar for my little kona, easy to fit and works a treat (only £26 as wel!)

Posted: Oct 15, 2012 at 10:15 Quote
Wat headset did u go for in the end mate my marin northside headset is knackered and need a new 1, it came with the same urs did? Need 1 asap lol

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 11:44 Quote
Chris king, last forevveerrrr!!!!

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.015457
Mobile Version of Website