ReignX vs. Reign frame differences

PB Forum :: Giant
ReignX vs. Reign frame differences
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2012 at 13:21 Quote
Does anybody know the differences between these frames? Now I am riding 2011 reign with front and rear 170mm travel. It gives me (probably) 66.5 head angle. I think to buy 2012 ReignX frame to get more durable frame for riding in parks. Now, my bike is very capable for uphill as well and I dont want to lost it.

I know these differences now:
- geometry/angles
- rear travel
- ISCG
- rear axle
- weight?

I am not sure what is more different on the ReignX frame. Any ideas? Does it worth to change it?
thx

Posted: Aug 31, 2012 at 9:50 Quote
Either you're already riding a reign x or you're mistaken about your rear travel, the regular reign has 150mm of rear travel, the x has 170

Posted: Dec 15, 2013 at 17:43 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
Either you're already riding a reign x or you're mistaken about your rear travel, the regular reign has 150mm of rear travel, the x has 170

Chances are he changed the shock bro! a reigns linkage will accept a 6.7 inch travel shock, the same exact size that the reign x uses...there is almost no difference in stiffness of the frame..reign x will likely have removable dropouts allowing you to but a 12mm thru axle in the rear, which would increase stiffness by a lot! but for the most part you have essentially take a reign frame and built it into a reign x....other than the bb type and tabs the reign x linkage is virtually the same, and it essentially is an equally stiff frame.

Posted: Dec 15, 2013 at 18:42 Quote
PraisedaMTBgods wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

Chances are he changed the shock bro! a reigns linkage will accept a 6.7 inch travel shock, the same exact size that the reign x uses...there is almost no difference in stiffness of the frame..reign x will likely have removable dropouts allowing you to but a 12mm thru axle in the rear, which would increase stiffness by a lot! but for the most part you have essentially take a reign frame and built it into a reign x....other than the bb type and tabs the reign x linkage is virtually the same, and it essentially is an equally stiff frame.
No. I tried (out of curiosity) removing my shock on my Reign and expanding the linkage to take a bigger shock and it didn't even give me 5 more mm to fit a bigger shock in. The frames are very different, as is the linkage.

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 at 9:16 Quote
That's not true buddy!

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 at 9:19 Quote
It's not a matter of fitting a bigger shock....you run a different stroke but the same eye to eye size....it allows you to run more sag...it has effects on the leverage ratios but that's up to the rider if they like it or not.... It can do be done and the frames are nearly identical minus a few gussets.

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 at 9:21 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
PraisedaMTBgods wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

No. I tried (out of curiosity) removing my shock on my Reign and expanding the linkage to take a bigger shock and it didn't even give me 5 more mm to fit a bigger shock in. The frames are very different, as is the linkage.

Not claiming to know a ton but it sounds like you don't really know how a full suspension frame works.

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 at 15:14 Quote
No, it sounds like you don't. If you run a larger stroke shock you're just going to have your tire bottoming out on your frame instead of being limited by the shock stroke...

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
Well in the case of a Reign you'll have your rear triangle make physical contact with your front triangle. Basically you'll end up destroying your frame

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 at 12:04 Quote
Are the rear triangles interchangeable? I have an 09reign with brnt triangle. £200 from giant uk. If a reign x is same but with dropouts i would consider paying for it.

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 at 19:32 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
Well in the case of a Reign you'll have your rear triangle make physical contact with your front triangle. Basically you'll end up destroying your frame

That's not true at all. I bet you've never even messed around with swapping the shock on a reign. I don't feel the need to argue about this.

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 at 19:38 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
PraisedaMTBgods wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

You absolutely 100% can swap a reign x shock onto a reign without annnyyyy problems. So many people have done it that it's crazy that you are battling it. The shock size is 7.875x2.25. That's what a reign X shock is. A reign shock is 7.875x2.0. It will change the leverage curve but it absolutely will not damage your frame. Unless for some reason the shock doesnt fit. I.e. a piggy back reservoir is coming into contact with your frame. Some shock designs like the fox dhx will 100% work.

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 at 20:18 Quote
No, you are wrong. Very wrong

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 at 20:33 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
No, you are wrong. Very wrong

LOL alright buddy.

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 at 20:35 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
PraisedaMTBgods wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:

You claim you need to "expand" the linkage to accept a diff size shock. This tells me two things. 1. You didn't have a shock that was 7.875x2.25 to put on it and 2. It makes clear that you don't understand the changes that happen when you put a different stroke shock on a bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013260
Mobile Version of Website