Torn labrum dislocated AC and shoulder dislocation

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Torn labrum dislocated AC and shoulder dislocation
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 13, 2012 at 23:31 Quote
my shoulder is wreaking havoc on my mountain biking. crash was in late march 2012 and i am still having big time instability/moderate pain/weakness (getting better) in the shoulder. working consistently and intensely on PT. the road is slow going. my doc insists that i continue to move forward with PT. anyone had any experience with a damaged labrum (slap tear?) what was your recuperation like? time frame? with surgery? without? moving forward... Smile

thanks for any beta!

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 6:04 Quote
I have had three shoulder surgeries to repair damage to my labrum from dislocations. My last surgery was in january of 2011, i have dislocated three times since then, the most recent being last friday. In my experience, unless you get the surgery it will keep happening, and even the surgery is not permanent. At this point with my houlder, after a five day break i was back riding after my recent dislocation.

Posted: Jul 24, 2012 at 0:08 Quote
I had a SLAP tear, a Bankart tear and several small fractures a year and a half ago. All I had to do was lean forward while jogging and my shoulder would visibly sublux. I had it repaired inside of 4 months after the initial injury, which would have been early May of last year.

The surgery wasn't really that bad, the only reason I needed painkillers was to keep the ache away while trying to sleep for the first few nights. The 6 weeks in a sling was worse, but I made sure to spend around an hour a day on the exercise bike and move the shoulder around lots with the help of my other arm. I remember the pure joy at being able to reach my head in the shower with both hands one day, haha. By the end of June I was able to roll around the street on my DH bike and roll off some curbs just to say that I could. About a month later I was able to ride XC and completely against doctors orders I started riding the bike park in my shoulder brace almost exactly 3 months after surgery, although I mostly stuck to smooth jump trails as between my restrictive brace and the potential pain of crashing wrong the gnar wasn't much fun.

Since then the repair has held strong, which is saying something as I ski competitively and have taken some hard hits, including one that broke the shoulder blade and separated my AC on the same side as the repair.

I'm still building up the muscle around the shoulder and it's not the same as it used to be, but I'm definitely glad I had the surgery. Your labrum won't heal on its own, so I'd suggest that you definitely keep up the PT, because that's huge but also consider surgery, because things may not get much better without it.

Posted: Jul 31, 2012 at 21:30 Quote
I had almost the same thing happen to me. Dislocated shoulder, torn labrum (60% torn off the bone), small tear in a tendon and a bankart fracture. Had surgery 1 month later, 6 weeks in sling with very small amount of pt during this time. After i was out of the sling I started real PT for another 9 weeks. Just finished pt with the therapist and now starting to work out on my own. No hard dh riding yet but I've ridden all mountain and easier dh trails. I still have some pain when lifting my arm above my shoulder, but every week im getting stronger.
It may be a long recovery, but having surgery sounds better than having your shoulder keep popping out all the time.

Posted: Sep 4, 2012 at 23:35 Quote
jtm12090 wrote:
I have had three shoulder surgeries to repair damage to my labrum from dislocations. My last surgery was in january of 2011, i have dislocated three times since then, the most recent being last friday. In my experience, unless you get the surgery it will keep happening, and even the surgery is not permanent. At this point with my houlder, after a five day break i was back riding after my recent dislocation.

hey just got to this. thanks for taking the time to respond. appreciated! it helps to know there are people out there enduring the craziness of the unknown with injury stuff. stick with it!

Posted: Sep 4, 2012 at 23:36 Quote
mntnbomber wrote:
I had almost the same thing happen to me. Dislocated shoulder, torn labrum (60% torn off the bone), small tear in a tendon and a bankart fracture. Had surgery 1 month later, 6 weeks in sling with very small amount of pt during this time. After i was out of the sling I started real PT for another 9 weeks. Just finished pt with the therapist and now starting to work out on my own. No hard dh riding yet but I've ridden all mountain and easier dh trails. I still have some pain when lifting my arm above my shoulder, but every week im getting stronger.
It may be a long recovery, but having surgery sounds better than having your shoulder keep popping out all the time.

holy crap helps me get after it even more getting wind of what others are deal with. thank you for responding. i appreciate it. and good luck with your recovery.

Posted: Sep 4, 2012 at 23:44 Quote
tinfoil wrote:
I had a SLAP tear, a Bankart tear and several small fractures a year and a half ago. All I had to do was lean forward while jogging and my shoulder would visibly sublux. I had it repaired inside of 4 months after the initial injury, which would have been early May of last year.

The surgery wasn't really that bad, the only reason I needed painkillers was to keep the ache away while trying to sleep for the first few nights. The 6 weeks in a sling was worse, but I made sure to spend around an hour a day on the exercise bike and move the shoulder around lots with the help of my other arm. I remember the pure joy at being able to reach my head in the shower with both hands one day, haha. By the end of June I was able to roll around the street on my DH bike and roll off some curbs just to say that I could. About a month later I was able to ride XC and completely against doctors orders I started riding the bike park in my shoulder brace almost exactly 3 months after surgery, although I mostly stuck to smooth jump trails as between my restrictive brace and the potential pain of crashing wrong the gnar wasn't much fun.

Since then the repair has held strong, which is saying something as I ski competitively and have taken some hard hits, including one that broke the shoulder blade and separated my AC on the same side as the repair.

I'm still building up the muscle around the shoulder and it's not the same as it used to be, but I'm definitely glad I had the surgery. Your labrum won't heal on its own, so I'd suggest that you definitely keep up the PT, because that's huge but also consider surgery, because things may not get much better without it.

thanks for all of your beta. i appreciate it. the psychological aspect was probably tougher than the injury for me. there's some peace of mind knowing that others are dealing with the same sh*t. i keep looking for a hard and fast answer, but with the nature of my injury, it seems dogged consistency is paramount. that's epic... the joy of raising both arms in the shower. i hope you have continued to progress! stick with it. i think it'd be sweet if we all could just stop wrecking. yah right! be well, and thanks again.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013543
Mobile Version of Website