Automotive General discussion.

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Automotive General discussion.
Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 22:19 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
bamfbmx wrote:
Lol he thought he could get away without cutting it and put all that time in and tucked the trans as high as he could in the tunnel and was like f*ck, that's not enough. Hahaha cutting was a last resort option but it worked out. I posted a photo in the Toyota cressida group on Facebook of it all finished.

Fair enough hahah, that man has some patience to do that lol

Way more then I do, he's only 18 too haha.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 2:03 Quote
what's the difference between a coil pack and a distributor, and what benefits could you get from swapping from the second to the first?

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 8:36 Quote
jespinal wrote:
what's the difference between a coil pack and a distributor, and what benefits could you get from swapping from the second to the first?
Well a distributor distributes energy and a coil amplifies the said energy, and they work in conjunction with each other lol. Coil on plug is what you're looking for, and it just eliminates having more moving parts. All depends really, each have their strong points and weaknesses and just like anything else, there isn't a definite answer to that. Depending on the system, some setups will offer better control, higher resolution so you have a more accurate ignition at higher rpms. Main bonus of coil on plug like an ls or turbo jz is that you have greater control over the entire ignition map, not just static distributor positioning, springs, weight and vacuum like you'd find on a points distributor out of something from the 60's. At the same time, some early efi systems with coil on plug, have a shit resolution (crank trigger tooth count) so the higher they rev, the less accurate it is. That's the very very light answer to that.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 13:50 Quote
Just wait till you get your hands on a vehicle with a DIC. Wink

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 20:43 Quote
al9595 wrote:
Just wait till you get your hands on a vehicle with a DIC. Wink
It's still a coil on plug setup, just uses a different way to reference crank position

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 6:14 Quote
And to be fair if anything, changing / removing the DIC is pretty damn simple and probably the same amount of effort as plug over wire or any other system, although new NGK plug wires for my Subaru was around $70-90 I forget exactly. Whereas a DIC for the Saab is $300 +/- a bit... fingers crossed I don't have to change for the time I'm owning this car. Haha

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 6:41 Quote
I had fun with my coil pack/rail. There was a short in one of the wires to it, was hanging too close to the exhaust and the heat exposed some wire, and whoever had it before me didn't take the time to find the short, they just put in a heavier amp fuse.... I killed a couple coil packs, one when the problem first presented itself, and another after I thought it was fixed, they popped open and oozed plastic. Finally pulled apart all the wiring to find the short, covered it, put the proper fuse in, and have been golden.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
That, certainly does not sound like a good time. Props for finding the short, wiring can be a huge bitch of a task especially if the previous owner didn't say anything about it.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 8:17 Quote
Wasn't fun but extremely satisfying when done. We got it from our family friends brother in laws dealership. The short was intermittent, the bundle of wires had to bounce a few inches to get close enough to the exhaust. Somewhere along the line someone said f*ck it and stuck the bigger fuse in, either the dealership or the people before that. There were also two spark plugs that were completely the wrong plug, and they just so happened to be on the two cylinders that were misfiring...

Now my only issue is my blinkers, when I put on my left blinker, the front works fine, but both back signals operate. A bit intermittent as well, might only happen when my headlights are turned on. Yay Heep, that mopar quality.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 14:13 Quote
Does anyone know where i could snag a shifter for an r154 transmission. like just the pivot.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
Smason wrote:
Does anyone know where i could snag a shifter for an r154 transmission. like just the pivot.

Driftmotion

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 22:49 Quote
ebay, frsport, enjuku, maybe facebook groups if you're looking for a used one.

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 at 17:40 Quote
Found out the Google translate app has a picture translate feature. Helpful when a significant amount of the shit on my car is in Japanese

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 at 19:56 Quote
bordom wrote:
Found out the Google translate app has a picture translate feature. Helpful when a significant amount of the shit on my car is in Japanese
That's cool af

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 at 20:27 Quote
Bought a CAI. Rice.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022481
Mobile Version of Website