HR zones drifting down... a sign of higher fitness... or over-training?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
HR zones drifting down... a sign of higher fitness... or over-training?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2012 at 15:22 Quote
Back in April when my training season started in preparation of a series of XC races for the fall, after some measurements I established my HR training zones into 5 levels, according the Joe Friel's program - this is BTW, my second year of training and racing.

Early in my training (base phase), when I was doing my anaerobic interval sessions (5 reps of 5 minutes duration in low Zone 5), within the first few minutes I could get my heart rate up right into zone 5 without too much trouble.

Currently I am in the last week of the Build II phase, after which comes the Peak and Race phases, and I have noticed something strange... I can't get my heart rate into zone 5 in any of my interval session, even as I push myself to the point of agony. Today I even tried to the interval on a 8% uphill grade, and the most I could get my heart rate was about zone 4.8, and it stayed there for the last half of the intervals. I simply was unable to reach Zone 5, and I was giving it the same level of perceived exertion typical of my previous interval training.

It wasn't exactly my best day, but I overall feel ok. Still, I'm worried that this inability to achieve my previous HR zones could be sign of over-training. However, is it also possible that after all these months of consistent training, by HR zones have changed? Perhaps now that my fitness is peaking, all of my HR thresholds have drifted downwards and I should remeasure... is this possible within a season's worth of training? Anyone else experience something similar?

Posted: Sep 1, 2012 at 16:50 Quote
Your fitness levels have increased. If the same amount of work is not getting your heart rate up to the same levels it was before it means you are more fit. Its time to up the intensity of your workouts so that you can reach that Zone 5 again.

If you were overtraining you would likely feel sick and fatigued because you are not giving your body that adequate amount of time to recover.

Posted: Sep 2, 2012 at 20:49 Quote
Sounds logical... thanks

Posted: Sep 7, 2012 at 10:43 Quote
if you're worried about over training, i'd suggest keeping track of your resting heart rate. if it starts climbing maybe its time to back off. as said before, also look out for feeling sick, and sluggish. i've been there before, no fun.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010202
Mobile Version of Website