Giant Maestro Vs. Specialized 4 Bar Suspension

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant Maestro Vs. Specialized 4 Bar Suspension
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 12:20 Quote
Hi i wanted to know if anyone has experience with both Giant, and Specialized suspensions. Which has a better feel, and which has better pedalling efficiency, which do you think is better? Right now i have a Giant Trance X and im interested in getting a more capable bike that can handle fair sized drops, jumps, and really rough terrain. The new Specialized Stumpjumper Evo and the Enduro got me interested, or should i go with Giant again and get the Reign X?

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 16:48 Quote
People really like the enduro. The reign is also a good bike. Do you have a favorite LBS? Buy what ever they sell. Personally I like dual link better the 4 bar . Less bob less break chatter . But whatever both are good. Get the one you get the best price on

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 16:52 Quote
I have experience with both -- Giant Anthem X and Specialized Enduro. These are obviously not directly comparable as one is a cross country bike with 4" of travel and the other is all-mountain with 6". Weight is a big difference too as my Anthem X weighs 23lbs and my Enduro 29lbs. That being said I've also ridden the Giant Trance (5") and the qualities are about the same. To the point, the Maestro pedals better in terms of efficiency -- it just feels like it translates all power into a forward motion and it doesn't need to be placed into Pro-Pedal ever, imo. It doesn't track the ground under power or heavy climbing over rough sections as well as the Enduro but that may due to overall travel differences between the different type of bikes. The Enduro is a little more soft and needs some pedal-platform in the shock (which it has when you select pro-pedal) for steep climbing -- even more so when standing. However, I don't feel like it is that big of a difference really. Overall I can climb the mountain just as well with either bike, just takes some getting used to. Descending? No comparison, the Enduro kills (which isn't a fair comparison at all) but I just like the feel of a plush rear suspension which is the FSR design's strong-point. Hope that helps a little...

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 19:21 Quote
Thanks guys, your input was a big help. Now I'm thinking of leaning towards the enduro, i like the fact that its a strong descender, but to bad that it isn't as efficient as a giant. Ill see if i can try both, hopefully it doesn't have that much more pedal bob.

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 11:31 Quote
+1
Either the Enduro or Reign/ReignX will do the job, mainly comes down to personal preference and maybe local availability. I had an '07 Reign X1, which was an excellent mini-DH bike, but also climbed very well, for its weight.
I also had an '01 Stumpy FSRXC, and its one weakness was suspension squat (while climbing, cornering, or in compressions) and it would bang its pedals, and/or lift the front wheel.

Some people get lost in the marketing noise of "wheel path giving better bump absorption" etc, but IMO - anti-squat - is the main advantage of virtual-pivot designs over FSR. For some people that translates to "pedal feedback" and they just prefer the plushness of FSR.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.017229
Mobile Version of Website