Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 4:19 Quote
minus8 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Oh you said rims, didn't spot that.

Thatll be special nipples that screw into the rim and mount onto the head of a 5mm thick spoke. yeah its doable but you will probably be making those nipples yourself.

Fair enough- I haven't encountered a set, didn't realise there was any difference. I tend to stay away from companies that make things as awkward as that!

Yeah, although they are f*cking amazing wheels.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 4:53 Quote
Mavic make Nipple cups for normal nipples. The Crossmax uses the same system as the 8 series mavic rims. Easy peasy to build on any hub.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
So a couple of weeks ago my chain snapped mid trail, I removed the broken links and re attached it as a get me home. Anyway I haven't ridden since, got a new chain and finally today when to put it on. It appears the derailleur has bent, the lowest jockey wheel doesn't spin. Is it a case of a whole new derailleur? or is there a simple fix?
photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 7:45 Quote
I'd try taking the bottom jockey wheel off and straightening the cage as best you can first. As long as the pulley bolt's not bent you should be ok. If not ask your lbs orfriends if they have and old sram mech you can rob for spares.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 11:21 Quote
Thought I had it now this, is it time for a new rear mech?
photo

photo

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 11:28 Quote
It looks like its riding up on to the inner cage plate or you have a stiff link in the chain. I'd check that the mech hanger isn't bent as well. It's difficult to tell without seeing it in action can you post a video?

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
In one picture your pulley wheels look way worn. in another pic the chain looks to be routed incorrectly. I'd replace that derailleur though that thing looks like it's seen it's fair share of use

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 11:45 Quote
the chain is routed properly.

does the upper jockey wheel spin fine? could be that or a stiff link

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 11:49 Quote
Initially I thought the cage was bent so took it apart straightened it and the jockey wheels still wouldn't spin. I took them out and found the bearing has seized up, I replaced them with ones off another bike, different rear mech but still 9 spd. they work fine now. Ok went to take a video and found routed the chain like an idiot and missed a loop (Never work in the dark) Sorted that but the front jockey on the chain device is slipping -_- can I just take it off, while I wait for a new wheel to come?

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 12:02 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Is that how you route your chains? I hope you don't work on people's bikes lol

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 12:15 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Is that how you route your chains? I hope you don't work on people's bikes lol

ahahah I shouldn't of tried in the dark, simple error :/

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 12:39 Quote
haha that was @jamieridesbikes. he spoke on your behalf telling me the chain is correctly routed. it's no big deal. Just a goof

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 13:12 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
In one picture your pulley wheels look way worn. in another pic the chain looks to be routed incorrectly. I'd replace that derailleur though that thing looks like it's seen it's fair share of use

if you are thinking of a new mech a shimano 10 speed will work with your SRAM 9sp shifter, Zee is cheap and reliable Wink

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 13:42 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sicklines.com/review/sram_x9/2008_sram_x9_rear_derailleur2s.jpgI've overlooked the sticky out bit of metal underneath the date stamp, sorry. Couldn't see it from that angle.

plz forgive

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 13:48 Quote
Four givens. Is all gravy

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.037350
Mobile Version of Website