Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 11:08 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
millpill wrote:
The last time I checked there derailleur knuckles are made from a piece of cnc'd or forged alloy, but if you insist so, the the pivots can be repressed, but I checked with sram for the x0 derailleur, and they told me to get a new main body thing (I think its called a parallelogram?). Shimano on the other hand, you can find salvage derailleurs and steal parts off of those. Whats the problem? for a shimano shadow+, take it apart and re grease, wash and replace the little seals. It's then brand new again.

The knuckle is where the derailleur attaches to the cage, right?
Its a non-clutch Shimano and I want to reposition the spring to increase chain tension
i don't think it works like that.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 11:10 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
Can I use Hope brake mounts for my Zee brakes with Shimano rt-76 203mm rotors front and rear?.

The mounts are: Hope 'C' front post to post 203mm, 'G' rear IS to post 203mm.

I mean will Hope mounts fit?. I was told the 160 and 180mm mounts work but they wasn't sure about the 203mm mounts. Anyone tried the Hope 203mm mounts with Shimano Zee brakes and 203mm Shimano rotors?

Thanks.

Best stick to the same brand of rotor/adapter/brake. Small size differences in adapters can lead to the brake only grabbing 2/3 of the rotor. Happened to me when I used a shimano adapter on a Avid rotor.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 11:15 Quote
Hope adapters will work with Shimano brakes but for the price of them you might as well play it safe and get Shimano ones.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 11:19 Quote
iffy wrote:
enduro86 wrote:
Been trying to set up my tires tubeless today. Tested the tire and rim without sealant and tube got it inflated. Put sealant in tried to inflate it wouldnt inflate. Used tons of soapy water etc. Any tips anyone has that might help?

sometimes pressing lightly in the area of the valve stem can help, it is often where the air leaks from.

you can also try pulling the tyre out of the well and up onto the edges as much as possible.

I find it helpful to hang the wheel up on something as I pump it up so the tyre is not deformed and pushed up as it sits on the floor.
Thanks will give this a shot.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 13:24 Quote
riggadon wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Can I use Hope brake mounts for my Zee brakes with Shimano rt-76 203mm rotors front and rear?.

I mean will Hope mounts fit?. I was told the 160 and 180mm mounts work but they wasn't sure about the 203mm mounts. Anyone tried the Hope 203mm mounts with Shimano Zee brakes and 203mm Shimano rotors?

Thanks.

Best stick to the same brand of rotor/adapter/brake. Small size differences in adapters can lead to the brake only grabbing 2/3 of the rotor. Happened to me when I used a shimano adapter on a Avid rotor.

You should use the same company for rotor and adapter. Doesn't have to match the caliper though, they are all the same. My thinking is that if all calipers fit a 160mm rotor off a post mount with no spacers, shouldn't they all be the same spacing?

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 13:28 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
riggadon wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:

Thanks.
You should use the same company for rotor and adapter. Doesn't have to match the caliper though, they are all the same. My thinking is that if all calipers fit a 160mm rotor off a post mount with no spacers, shouldn't they all be the same spacing?

Ok I hear you. But its too late because I've ordered them. Just wanted to try and find before they arrive. I suppose if they don't fit I could buy the correct brakes to fit the new mounts..Confused

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 14:16 Quote
Nobble wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
millpill wrote:
The last time I checked there derailleur knuckles are made from a piece of cnc'd or forged alloy, but if you insist so, the the pivots can be repressed, but I checked with sram for the x0 derailleur, and they told me to get a new main body thing (I think its called a parallelogram?). Shimano on the other hand, you can find salvage derailleurs and steal parts off of those. Whats the problem? for a shimano shadow+, take it apart and re grease, wash and replace the little seals. It's then brand new again.

The knuckle is where the derailleur attaches to the cage, right?
Its a non-clutch Shimano and I want to reposition the spring to increase chain tension
It's in the Zinn and Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 14:55 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Nobble wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

It's in the Zinn and Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
Increasing the spring tension (popping the end of the spring into a different hole) will keep the chain tighter, or looser depending on which setting you put it at. Apparently it'll make your shifting a bit less smooth though if you have it a lot tighter.
Good book too, I have a copy.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 15:16 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:

Thanks.

I have Saint M820 calipers which are the same mounts as Zee.

On the front I use Hope C adapter for my Boxxer and 203mm RT86 rotor and Hope G at the back for also an RT86 203mm rotor on an old GT DHi frame. They are perfect.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 15:52 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I Think it's a 49mm zero stack, but take it to a shop and get a headset and get them to install it.

The last thing you want to do is f*ck up the headtube by walking it in.

I can do it myself. It's not the first time I would remove/install a Headset !!!

Is there anybody else that can confirm that it is a 49mm ?

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 16:05 Quote
Vole wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:

Thanks.

I have Saint M820 calipers which are the same mounts as Zee.

On the front I use Hope C adapter for my Boxxer and 203mm RT86 rotor and Hope G at the back for also an RT86 203mm rotor on an old GT DHi frame. They are perfect.

Ah buzzin mate, yeas you are correct thats basically the same set-up I'm asking about. Thanks very much..tup

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 16:06 Quote
I am looking to upgrade my crankset and bb on my trek fuel ex 8 and don't know size or any of that. From what I could find is that it's a press fit and its 95mm? No idea if that's right or not. I want to buy a hope tech bb and crankset. Hope has press fit and just regular I guess you could say? I don't know the difference. Does my bike need a press fit? What's does that mean? Can someone tell me what hope bb will work with my frame? Thank you.

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 3:36 Quote
how often should you have your suspension serviced its a RockShox Recon Silver TK, and I have a x-fusion air can rear shock .

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 4:19 Quote
cannondalemale wrote:
how often should you have your suspension serviced its a RockShox Recon Silver TK, and I have a x-fusion air can rear shock .

Read the manuals! Most are listed in 'riding hours', but once every 12/18 months is usually the norm for most.

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 6:11 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:

Read the manuals! Most are listed in 'riding hours', but once every 12/18 months is usually the norm for most.
12 months?? haha. Fork oil change --- twice a year. Fork lowers cleaning --- every second or third month. Rear shock oil change once or twice in a year.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023841
Mobile Version of Website