Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 10:51 Quote
Should i go clear gorilla tape or just go with stans from local shop for my tubeless rim tape?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 10:56 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:
Should i go clear gorilla tape or just go with stans from local shop for my tubeless rim tape?
black gorilla tape works well, stans yellow works good too, but you have to inflate it with a tube overnight to cure the adhesive.

I like the black gorilla tape best personally.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:01 Quote
Nobble wrote:
THE-GUNT wrote:
black gorilla tape works well, stans yellow works good too, but you have to inflate it with a tube overnight to cure the adhesive.

I like the black gorilla tape best personally.

I like the gorilla tape too, sticks good, and can buy in 1" wide rolls which is better than cutting 2" roll down.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:21 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
cheeverbrent wrote:

I bought the fork brand new and have about 5 hrs on it. I know new forks take time to bed in but this seems worse from what I've read..
most new forks don't have enough oil in them from the factory.

i just took apart my roughly 10 hour old fork. Massive stiction problems from the very beginning, and like you I figured it would bed in over time. It never did. I know I shoulda taken it apart earlier, but I didn't for one reason or another. Checked oil levels in the lowers but didnt open the damper till yesterday.

Finally took it apart yesterday and the oil in the damper was BLACK. Not just a bit cloudy, full on black. On further investigation it turns out the lower legs weren't machined straight and have been causing massive wear. Warranty dept seemed happy to replace all the worn/misaligned parts, so I'm sending them off tomorrow. Smile Id pull yours apart and have a look inside. On a 5 hr old fork the fluid should still be very clean. Any sign of cloudyness and I'd get on the phone to rockshox.

Hey thanks for everyone's input. I'll probably take it in to the bike shop and tell them what's going on, hopefully its an oil level issue.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:48 Quote
david-lemieux wrote:
Not sure about the lyric, but the boxxer uses these big burly rubber internal seals, which cause a ton of friction on the stanchions. Pike seals just use foam inner rings which create way less friction, again, not sure about the lyric though.
Do you think it would be worth it to swap my boxxers stock seals out for pike seals for the reduced friction? I don't mind having to service and clean it out more often, gives me something to do.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:43 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
david-lemieux wrote:
Not sure about the lyric, but the boxxer uses these big burly rubber internal seals, which cause a ton of friction on the stanchions. Pike seals just use foam inner rings which create way less friction, again, not sure about the lyric though.
Do you think it would be worth it to swap my boxxers stock seals out for pike seals for the reduced friction? I don't mind having to service and clean it out more often, gives me something to do.

I wouldn`t.
Btw my Boxxer R2C2 is absolutely smooth.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 13:16 Quote
Vole wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
david-lemieux wrote:

I wouldn`t.
Btw my Boxxer R2C2 is absolutely smooth.

my mates done it. his forks feel f*cking sweet!
However he has done a few other things to them too; faced the bottoms of the inside and outside of the lowers, drilled and sleeved the holes in the bottom so they are actually straight, sized his bushings and fitted an avy cart, so couldnt comment on exactly how much of a difference the seals alone made.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 13:19 Quote
or send to push/tf tuned and they do that, actually properly measured and all

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:09 Quote
I have an 80's nishiki olympic steel bike and I want to change my threaded headset into a campy. Would anyone know if the thread for the campy will have an issue with my fork?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:14 Quote
thisguyalex wrote:
or send to push/tf tuned and they do that, actually properly measured and all

they do what?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:39 Quote
knucklehead179 wrote:
I have an 80's nishiki olympic steel bike and I want to change my threaded headset into a campy. Would anyone know if the thread for the campy will have an issue with my fork?

No, they are the same thread.

The crown race on some Campagnolo headsets are a bit small, so you may have to file down the fork streerer a bit.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:43 Quote
hey guys is it normal to hear an air type hissing sound when the boxxer rc fork is compressed to mid travel and further? seems normal to me, but I'm not sure, thanks!

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 17:03 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
cheeverbrent wrote:
I have a lyrik rc2dh solo air and have heard of people putting pike seals in the lyrik. I'm a noob and was just wondering if the seals are similar enough to get the right fit or if this would even be beneficial. Thanks

Yeah I've read of people doing this, the Pike seals are slightly different but apparently do fit.
If you want better seals try PUSH seals for about £25 a set I think they are from tftuned in the UK or from PUSH in the US although I doubt you'd really notice much difference unless your old seals are buggered and need replacing.

big difference in feel, they fit fine. There's photos on my profile of them in a lyrik.works fine on a boxxer too, it's well worth doing.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 18:01 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
david-lemieux wrote:

If the money isn't an issue, go for it, my fork went from good to great and I'd say the seals made a bigger difference than the charger damper. Talked with Curtis Robinson and Pike seals are what the blackbox guys run in their forks.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 18:30 Quote
pike seals are far cheaper too Wink Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021162
Mobile Version of Website