Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 6:16 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Hey guys,

Weird question.
Just rebuilt my Fox Van RC. It feels extra, "springy" and a tad soft. I'm not sure if maybe I just forgot what a newly built shock feels like (this one was probably overdue when I rebuilt it) or if I could have done something wrong. Any ideas?

FYI - I rebuilt it with 10wt oil, recharged the resi to 200psi.
It's probably going to feel "different" sincee you rebuilt it. Give it some time amd ride it see if it goes back to normal soon after its been ridden.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 7:41 Quote
Just re-fitted an slx rear brake, bled it properly I think... and changed the pads.I pushed the calipers back towards the body of the brake to fit the new pads.

The bite point is now way out (i have to basically pull the level back to the handle bar) the bite point does improve to an acceptable level after consecutively pumping the lever going downhill but then returns to the original bite point of having to pull it back to the handle bar..

Is this a bleeding issue or the fact that I pushed the caliper in to the body and its not re-adjusted properly??

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 8:29 Quote
If pumping improves it, you still haver air in the system I'm afraid.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 10:45 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
If pumping improves it, you still haver air in the system I'm afraid.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 11:11 Quote
th3bik3man wrote:
Does anyone know what alxe a kona dawgma has?

First find out what year it is.
Then type into google "Kona xxxx" ('xxxx' being the year of your bike).
One of the first finds should be the catalog of that year.
In that catalog you should be able to find the axle size (probably in the spec list).

I do think it should be 135x10 though, but to be sure I recommend to have a look.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 12:30 Quote
alight. So fitted my new tires today. WTB Bronson and Vigilante to WTB i25 rims...and they're being a total bitch to seat.Any tips on getting them to seat into the bead of the rim?

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 13:02 Quote
debonis wrote:
alight. So fitted my new tires today. WTB Bronson and Vigilante to WTB i25 rims...and they're being a total bitch to seat.Any tips on getting them to seat into the bead of the rim?

Tubeless? I Just fitted a Vigilante and a Trail Boss, they're ridiculously tight but dropped right into the bead (tubeless, Easton EA70XL rims)

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 14:50 Quote
debonis wrote:

Good rim choice. I have the I25 KOM and its lasted much better than I thought.

See the deep centre groove, squeeze the rest of the tyre into there and it should give you some room to play with.

Apologies if you've already tried that haha.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 15:02 Quote
debonis wrote:
Have the valve at the top of the wheel facing south, and push the center of the tyre onto the valve and inflate with a compressor.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 16:19 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
debonis wrote:

See the deep centre groove, squeeze the rest of the tyre into there and it should give you some room to play with.

You said seat, not fit. Sorry!

I had to use the compressor, the pump wouldn't work.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 16:34 Quote
debonis wrote:

get them up with a tube and leave overnight.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 16:46 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
debonis wrote:

Yea, I used a compressor too, the Vigi popped into place just fine with it, but popped the tube in the process...so I'll have to patch it and do it all over again. The Bronson I used a compressor too, but it didn't fully seat...I even tried grabbing the tire and manually pulling the tire into the bead seat.

I would go Tubeless, but the cost of valves + tape + Sealant is just too much atm.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 17:31 Quote
debonis wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:

Yea, I used a compressor too, the Vigi popped into place just fine with it, but popped the tube in the process...so I'll have to patch it and do it all over again. The Bronson I used a compressor too, but it didn't fully seat...I even tried grabbing the tire and manually pulling the tire into the bead seat.

I would go Tubeless, but the cost of valves + tape + Sealant is just too much atm.

Valves+tape+sealant:

Valves cut from an old inner tube
Duct Tape. 2 layers if you are feeling fancy
And for sealant, you can find homebrew recipes online, but it is probably easier to just buy some.

Thats how mine is set up and it doesnt lose any pressure between rides, even if they are a week apart.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 18:58 Quote
I have a 2012 (might be 2011) boxxer world cup fork on my aurum and it has been in my basement all winter. but when i hung it in my garage this week the fork started leaking oil out of the right stanchion (at the very top). Any idea whats wrong?

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 19:03 Quote
possible that the oring on top of the MiCo damper has failed in the cold. If you take out the damper and take that oring to a bearing supply shop, they should be able to get you a replacement.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021886
Mobile Version of Website