Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 6:34 Quote
Replacing the front tyre by something that is 0,5" wider would also lift the front end 10mm and give some extra cushioning.

But obviously this is not what he wants Razz

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 10:50 Quote
minus8 wrote:
drinktothat421 wrote:
I have a 2013 34 talas ctd 150mm for a 26 wheel. What do i need to make it 160mm?

A new fork. Typically, modern Fox forks can only be decreased in travel, not increased.

Im also assuming that fox does not make 2 completely different talas forks one that only is 150mm and one that is 160mm that can be reduced to 150mm and lower? Im assuming that is might be a 160mm fork that was OEM reduced to 150mm.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 14:27 Quote
Going to be a basic rebuild on my boxxer following the Boxxer TLC guide here on PB. Replacing the oil in the lowers and going to re-lube/grease my seals. I have a couple of questions though. On SRAMS website, it says to put 40ml in the rebound side of the fork and 10ml in the damper side. On the TLC guide, it says 10ml per leg. Which should I go with? Also the grease I have is Parktool PPL-1, which says is poly-urea based. Would this be bad to use to grease my wiper/seals? It says to use teflon/PTFE based lube but I don't have any of that, so will what I have do or should I skip out on the extra grease or get the right stuff?

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 14:41 Quote
debonis wrote:
alight. So fitted my new tires today. WTB Bronson and Vigilante to WTB i25 rims...and they're being a total bitch to seat.Any tips on getting them to seat into the bead of the rim?

use some soapy water on the tire bead.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 15:30 Quote
I just opened my chain yesterday for the first time, and when I place the pin back, the link is much stiffer than the others, is there any way to fix this? Or can I just leave it as it is?

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 16:29 Quote
RforRyan wrote:
I just opened my chain yesterday for the first time, and when I place the pin back, the link is much stiffer than the others, is there any way to fix this? Or can I just leave it as it is?

grab the chain around the stiff link and bend it laterally until it frees up a bit.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 16:41 Quote
riish wrote:
RforRyan wrote:

grab the chain around the stiff link and bend it laterally until it frees up a bit.

Like bend sideways or up and down?

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 16:42 Quote
Flex the chain with the stiff links under your thumb so it goes side to side, not I'm the direction that it is deisfned to flex this works the plates apart.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 16:44 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
Flex the chain with the stiff links under your thumb so it goes side to side, not I'm the direction that it is deisfned to flex this works the plates apart.
n

Will try!

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 17:04 Quote
rclugnut wrote:

yeah this.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 17:53 Quote
there's a tool for fixing stiff links, it's on any decent chain tool.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 19:33 Quote
william4269 wrote:
debonis wrote:
alight. So fitted my new tires today. WTB Bronson and Vigilante to WTB i25 rims...and they're being a total bitch to seat.Any tips on getting them to seat into the bead of the rim?

use some soapy water on the tire bead.

If all else fails, borrow a compressor and just deflate, rotate, and reinflate until you're satisfied

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 19:46 Quote
Take the valve core out.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 21:00 Quote
I have a triple compact crank set and I was wondering if I could replace it with a double standard crank for my road bike. Can I do this without having issue/s with my front derailleur? Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no issue in me using my triple brifter with the double standard crank set.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 23:12 Quote
knucklehead179 wrote:
I have a triple compact crank set and I was wondering if I could replace it with a double standard crank for my road bike. Can I do this without having issue/s with my front derailleur? Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no issue in me using my triple brifter with the double standard crank set.

Yeah, it should work, just use the limit screws to line it up right

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019860
Mobile Version of Website