Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 12:55 Quote
Gonna call BS on that, if you're running a 180 on pikes you'll need a +20 post mount adapter. I serviced a set yesterday running a 200 up front which had a +40 mount bolted on... plus I set up a set for a buddy two weeks ago, same deal. Zees and a 180, needed an adapter

Shimano ones are all of ten quid from your LBS, and will work with the guides

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 12:56 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
cscott16 wrote:
Hi chaps,

Anybody had issues with SRAM Guide RS brakes after bleed? My rear lever is fine straight after bleeding but after a couple of hours it goes again and you have to pull it back almost to the bar for it to engage. Local bike shop has had a go bleeding too but same issue. Is it knackered? Or a common issue?

Cheers
I had a similar issue with a Shimano XT lever before, the piston in the lever kept pulling air into the system every time I pulled the brake. LBS said I needed a new lever. Not sure if this is the case for yours but it sounds similar.

Cheers mate, that's what i was thinking. Going to try another 'mini bleed' tomorrow and just try to gently pump the air of of the lever if i can

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 13:15 Quote
el-booto wrote:
Gonna call BS on that, if you're running a 180 on pikes you'll need a +20 post mount adapter. I serviced a set yesterday running a 200 up front which had a +40 mount bolted on... plus I set up a set for a buddy two weeks ago, same deal. Zees and a 180, needed an adapter

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 13:32 Quote
Probably doesn't belong in this thread but between a Maxxis tire with the Maxx Grip compound and a Schwalbe with the Trailstar compound, which out of the two would wear slower than the other? (Say the compounds belonged to a Minion DHF and a Magic Mary)

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 14:35 Quote
ariginal wrote:
everything is clean. I sprayed some of this https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Biodegradable-Cleaner-32-Ounce/dp/B000YDMPQA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 on it, washed it off, then sprayed some simple green bike degreaser on it and washed that off. do you think it might be the white lightning because of the "shine" factor?
samael wrote:
ariginal wrote:
stupid question, but when i washed my bike with bike wash and then rinsed it off with water i put the lube on too quickly without drying the chain good enough. Now the chain doesn't feel as smooth through the gears. I ran the chain through a chain cleaner with citrus cleaner, let it dry, then put the lube on and i can still hear noises that the chain is making. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Do you ride in sandy/dry conditions? Did you clean the grit out of the gears and derailleur before/after cleaning the chain as well? Might be simple as dirty gears.

"I sprayed it with xxx and washed it off" is not cleaning your chain.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 15:04 Quote
Sticky pistons on SLX m615.

Best lube?
I'm sure Jesps would work but I don't have any on hand.

I'm betting that Shimano oil will suffice but anyone use something like slick honey.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 15:09 Quote
I would just use brake fluid.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 15:16 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Sticky pistons on SLX m615.

Best lube?
I'm sure Jesps would work but I don't have any on hand.

I'm betting that Shimano oil will suffice but anyone use something like slick honey.

You nailed it. Use their mineral oil.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 15:19 Quote
el-booto wrote:

Bingo. Only fork with a direct mount for 180mm rotors is the newest gen Fox 36. It was discussed in the development of the new Lyrik but ultimately dismissed.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 16:04 Quote
Will do, thanks guys.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 16:04 Quote
DavidSA wrote:
el-booto wrote:

Bingo. Only fork with a direct mount for 180mm rotors is the newest gen Fox 36. It was discussed in the development of the new Lyrik but ultimately dismissed.

The Metric is 180mm without an adapter. So was the 2014 Slant as well.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 16:06 Quote
el-booto wrote:

Thanks..Big Grin tup

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 16:19 Quote
dingus wrote:
Given the choice, would you guys opt for 12mm, 14mm or 16mm spoke nipples?

12mm. The only reason to run longer nipples is if something about the design of the rim (profile/wall thickness) stops a spoke key properly engaging on the nipple flats. So basically 12mm is best 99.9% of the time.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 16:30 Quote
mgolder wrote:
DavidSA wrote:
el-booto wrote:

The Metric is 180mm without an adapter. So was the 2014 Slant as well.

I stand corrected. Those are some superb (and underrated) forks.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 18:49 Quote
My bike has started making a clicking noise intermittently when I peddle. It seems to happen more when I am peddling uphill. I can't get it to do it when I have it in the shop and I am not on it. It doesn't appear to be a linkage noise as it will only do it when I peddle. Any ideas on how to figure out what is making the noise?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028978
Mobile Version of Website