Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 10:22 Quote
Dynex wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
the GX 11spd group shifts sooooo damn nice for how cheap it is.
I have both and an NX der with GX shifter shifts and feels the same as Both GX.

Just use the GX Rear Mech that will work with any 11sp sram cassette and the pull ratios from an 11sp NX shifter should be the same as a GX shifter. If you're mixing and matching you might as well use the GX rear mech was my suggestion. And while it may just be me but I didnt notice the weight reduction when I upgraded my cassette I personally think cassette weight is stupid.
NX will work with any 11 speed mountain cassette Facepalm

the whole point of getting nx is to save money as there is almost no weight savings and it shifts the same, plus it has a 3rd Gen clutch. And you'll save like 20 bucks.

All Shimano 11 speed mountain and Sram 11 speed mountain is cross compatible, no matter the model. So cassettes and cranks from both brands work with others. You can't mix and match shifters between brands.

You won't feel the difference from just a lighter cassette but it adds to the total weight of your bike and is a great place to save weight.plus they usually shift better.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 11:10 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Our shop has one.

But then we deal whyte which usually need it.

lol that's pretty shitty!

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 13:58 Quote
Hey guys my bike is creaking and I suspect it to be the crank bolts and or the bb. My question is fairly simple, how do I stop these things from creaking? Should I grease crank bolts and bb? Or is greasing crank bolts a bad idea

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 14:15 Quote
Well, most creaks are not simple to solve, check all bolts and wear on bearings and yes grease will help on these bolts but less is more... If this doesn't help your cranks may be damaged but it could well be something completely different echoed down the hollow tubes

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 14:20 Quote
creaks could really be anything. my banshee used to creak standing and pedalling, but it went away completely when I raised my seat an inch. go figure.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 14:26 Quote
Yeah a lot of creaks come from seats and posts but I did have one where my rf cranks had decided they didn't want to hold themselves together and slowly pulled themselves apart even though I used the correct torque and also lock tight and grease on the appropriate bolts!

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 15:52 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Dynex wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:

I have both and an NX der with GX shifter shifts and feels the same as Both GX.

Just use the GX Rear Mech that will work with any 11sp sram cassette and the pull ratios from an 11sp NX shifter should be the same as a GX shifter. If you're mixing and matching you might as well use the GX rear mech was my suggestion. And while it may just be me but I didnt notice the weight reduction when I upgraded my cassette I personally think cassette weight is stupid.
NX will work with any 11 speed mountain cassette Facepalm

the whole point of getting nx is to save money as there is almost no weight savings and it shifts the same, plus it has a 3rd Gen clutch. And you'll save like 20 bucks.

All Shimano 11 speed mountain and Sram 11 speed mountain is cross compatible, no matter the model. So cassettes and cranks from both brands work with others. You can't mix and match shifters between brands.

You won't feel the difference from just a lighter cassette but it adds to the total weight of your bike and is a great place to save weight.plus they usually shift better.

Thanks for that. The trance is already a really light bike (considering i used to own a Big Hit 1 FSR) so i don't really mind about the weight, but it would be good to save weight.

I think ill just get the XT M8000 cassette, then the NX mech, NX shifter and the 11 speed chain. $317 posted to me from Jenson.

Could you confirm that this looks right please and that it will all work right together?
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14082010/

My other option is to buy a full groupset that i will also get cranks with for $300aud posted, except it's used.

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 16:23 Quote
riish wrote:
creaks could really be anything. my banshee used to creak standing and pedalling, but it went away completely when I raised my seat an inch. go figure.

Wow, that's weird as hell. I'm going to be thinking about that for at least a week.

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 16:41 Quote
crs-one wrote:
riish wrote:

Wow, that's weird as hell. I'm going to be thinking about that for at least a week.
Frame is cracked, and moving the post allowed or restricted movement causing the creak to disappear Wink

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 18:18 Quote
We used it regularly, on frame up builds. Even just taking the paint down makes everything look clean and line up nice. Faced a lot bb's too ( on road bikes). You can get away without it, but it's just part of the attention to detail

(Or so we tell the customers)

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 18:36 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
crs-one wrote:
riish wrote:

Frame is cracked, and moving the post allowed or restricted movement causing the creak to disappear Wink

this was when it was a month old, it wasn't cracked (not yet, anyway)

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 1:33 Quote
sopro13 wrote:
Hey guys my bike is creaking and I suspect it to be the crank bolts and or the bb. My question is fairly simple, how do I stop these things from creaking? Should I grease crank bolts and bb? Or is greasing crank bolts a bad idea

Same here, my bike creaks hardcore as well. Only when im sitting like i send it and it doesn't make a sound except chain slap. Unsure what it is...I feel as if its the seat.

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 2:05 Quote
melias24 wrote:
sopro13 wrote:

Same here, my bike creaks hardcore as well. Only when im sitting like i send it and it doesn't make a sound except chain slap. Unsure what it is...I feel as if its the seat.

Probably the rails of your saddle in contact with the clamp, thin line of grease on the rail and torque it correctly

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 2:47 Quote
radatabs wrote:
melias24 wrote:
sopro13 wrote:

Probably the rails of your saddle in contact with the clamp, thin line of grease on the rail and torque it correctly

Thanks heaps will try that then report back.

Also, just a final question on the drivetrain will i need to change to a Sram pressed BB if i want to run NX crankest? Or will NX crankest fit my current shimano BB?

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 5:44 Quote
Running "formula the one" disc brake on front with a 203mm rotor and keep getting this awful metallic scraping noise like a pad is drifting over and just scraping the surface of the disc right after a jump or drop off. It's intermittent not constant. Any ideas? Driving me nuts!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032421
Mobile Version of Website