Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 15:30 Quote
does anyone here have any info on how to bleed Promax Decipher hydro brakes? I'm guessing the bleed part is the usual but what bleed kit do you use? and if I fully remove the original DOT 4 fluid can I replace it with 5.1?

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 20:04 Quote
Maverick18T wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:
That's lies, srams work perfectly fine!
Shimano chains are asymmetrical to catch the upshift and down shift ramps correctly. It will work much better with a Shimano chain than anyone else's chain.

Edit: and for the guy lowering a lyrik, you can lower them as much as you want. I have mine down to 90mm on my hardtail. The old ones use travel spacers instead of a new air shaft.

Not true. Shimano was having problems with people putting asymmetrical chains on backwards and complaining about shift performance, even some companies were putting them on backwards on their complete bikes.

Since the introduction of XTR M9000 Shimano stopped using asymmetrical chains across all models. If you have a new chain at home you'll notice every other link on the chain has the logo upside down to show that it's symmetrical. Unless you bought old stock or keep chains laying around its not likely you'll find a Shimano asymmetrical chain.
What about the inside links without any branding?

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 20:45 Quote
Maverick18T wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:
That's lies, srams work perfectly fine!
Shimano chains are asymmetrical to catch the upshift and down shift ramps correctly. It will work much better with a Shimano chain than anyone else's chain.

Edit: and for the guy lowering a lyrik, you can lower them as much as you want. I have mine down to 90mm on my hardtail. The old ones use travel spacers instead of a new air shaft.

Not true. Shimano was having problems with people putting asymmetrical chains on backwards and complaining about shift performance, even some companies were putting them on backwards on their complete bikes.

Since the introduction of XTR M9000 Shimano stopped using asymmetrical chains across all models. If you have a new chain at home you'll notice every other link on the chain has the logo upside down to show that it's symmetrical. Unless you bought old stock or keep chains laying around its not likely you'll find a Shimano asymmetrical chain.
that is 100% wrong.

It's not a "top and bottom" of the chain. It's a "front and back" AKA a "left and right"

And no, they continue to do it on their 10 and 11 speed chains.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 1:34 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Maverick18T wrote:
Nobble wrote:

that is 100% wrong.

It's not a "top and bottom" of the chain. It's a "front and back" AKA a "left and right"

Correct.
The outer plates have logos on, the inner plate's are blank.
Inside and outside not forward and backward..
And when I last looked, they are still asymmetric as nobble said.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 4:24 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Maverick18T wrote:

that is 100% wrong.

Correct.

I never realised that chains were directional, how do I know which direction is correct? This could explain why my chain is constantly jumping off the front ring...

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 4:41 Quote
landscapeben wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
Nobble wrote:
that is 100% wrong.

Correct.

I never realised that chains were directional, how do I know which direction is correct? This could explain why my chain is constantly jumping off the front ring...

Only shimano chains are directional.
Logo faces outward, blank side inwards.
If it's not shimano then don't worry

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 4:48 Quote
Well shit, I either mis understood or was mis informed by the Shimano rep haha. Sorry for the mis information guys.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 4:55 Quote
Maverick18T wrote:
Well shit, I either mis understood or was mis informed by the Shimano rep haha. Sorry for the mis information guys.

Quote from shimano :

Chain uses a directional design with specifically shaped inner and outer plates to optimise shifting over the chainset and cassette.
Outer plate design has been developed to reduce the chance of chain suck.
The inner plate has been developed for better contact with gears providing smoother shifting under high load, giving efficient pedalling, increased rigidity and near silent running.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 5:34 Quote
So SRAM chains aren't supposed to work with shimano cassettes? I've been running SRAM chains on xt cassettes for years. Didn't think there was a problem?

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 6:16 Quote
They do work and are cross compatible.
The Shimano chain just has ramps to make it smoother during shifting

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 6:24 Quote
Huh, learned something new today. Maybe I should try a Shimano or KMC chain next then, see if I can improve shifting performance.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 11:57 Quote
Hi Guys.

Does anyone know if I can use a Rotor BSA30 tool to fit a Hope BSA30 BB? On the Hope website, it says you need a specific tool but it looks like the Rotor one may fit.

Any info would be good

Thanks

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 12:08 Quote
GaryOrange5 wrote:
Hi Guys.

Does anyone know if I can use a Rotor BSA30 tool to fit a Hope BSA30 BB? On the Hope website, it says you need a specific tool but it looks like the Rotor one may fit.

Any info would be good

Thanks

Nein.

Hope one is unique.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 12:47 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:
Hi Guys.

Any info would be good

Thanks

Nein.

Hope one is unique.
God damn those northern bastards! lol cheers for the info.

Posted: Oct 28, 2016 at 10:58 Quote
I want to put a non-boost rear wheel onto boost rear axle.

I know I can get adaptors to add the extra 6mm to the wheel width and an adaptor to move the Disc in line, my question relates to the derailleur and will 3mm make a massive difference as the cassette will be 3mm more away from the derailleur. if this is an issue, is there a fix?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023031
Mobile Version of Website