Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 28, 2016 at 11:01 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
I want to put a non-boost rear wheel onto boost rear axle.

I know I can get adaptors to add the extra 6mm to the wheel width and an adaptor to move the Disc in line, my question relates to the derailleur and will 3mm make a massive difference as the cassette will be 3mm more away from the derailleur. if this is an issue, is there a fix?
properly set your limits & indexing and you will have no issues.

Posted: Oct 28, 2016 at 12:21 Quote
Hello. I have a 2012 Camber comp 26 with a 1-1/8" upper and lower head tube. I would like to install a tapered fork 1-1/8" top and 1.5 bottom. What type of conversion kit would work in this case. I'm guessing that i only need the bottom cup replacement. I did a bit of research and i see some material on Cane Creek 40 series. Not sure what the real answer will be here.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2016 at 17:49 Quote
Will my 2015 cannondale Jekyll take a regular sram pf30 bb or do I have to get the cannondale brand press in type bb30? May seem like an obvious question but just want to make sure

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 at 1:21 Quote
Gandubas wrote:
Hello. I have a 2012 Camber comp 26 with a 1-1/8" upper and lower head tube. I would like to install a tapered fork 1-1/8" top and 1.5 bottom. What type of conversion kit would work in this case. I'm guessing that i only need the bottom cup replacement. I did a bit of research and i see some material on Cane Creek 40 series. Not sure what the real answer will be here.

No.

Only if you have an updated 44mm diameter headtube.

You'd have to stick with a 1 1/8 straight steerer fork or buy a new frame.

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 at 7:16 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
Gandubas wrote:

No.

How would I know if I have an updated one?

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 at 8:50 Quote
Gandubas wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Gandubas wrote:

No.

Measure the inside diameter of the headtube after removing the lower cup. Its probably an integrated headset as it's a specialized.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 7:08 Quote
Building up a Yeti DJ and I am in need of a sanity check. Installed the shimano zee crank and bb52 on it, the information that each item comes with is less than helpful...I have a 73mm bb so i installed one spacer on the right (drive side) and its sittin pretty, i installed the mrp g3 steel guide/bash on it now and it doesnt align at all, any tips or advice getting that bad boy sorted out?

advice on wheelsets or gearing for a 4x/dj i would appreciate it-never built one before.

any advice or corrections let me know.

happy spinnin'

cheers

reignman

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 10:38 Quote
reignman317 wrote:
Building up a Yeti DJ and I am in need of a sanity check. Installed the shimano zee crank and bb52 on it, the information that each item comes with is less than helpful...I have a 73mm bb so i installed one spacer on the right (drive side) and its sittin pretty, i installed the mrp g3 steel guide/bash on it now and it doesnt align at all, any tips or advice getting that bad boy sorted out?

advice on wheelsets or gearing for a 4x/dj i would appreciate it-never built one before.

happy spinnin'

cheers

reignman

Is the G3 ISCG? If so try some spacers between the mounts and the iscg mounts

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 13:09 Quote
reignman317 wrote:

happy spinnin'

cheers

reignman

How much out of alignment is it?..usually you are expected to use spacers or washers, same things, on the bolts between the iscg face and the guide. I found some from a company called M:Part and also Hope sell some caliper bolt shims. The M:Part shims had a better fit than the Hope shims which were a little tiny bit loose on the bolts if you get me...But!..the Hope shims were cheap at 99p a pack and come in different thicknesses. The M:Part shims came with a few different sizes in the pack. But you could use any brand or type of washers or shims you like.

Sometimes you get spacers included with the guide but are often big fat ones and don't offer enough fine adjustment like you can get by using the thinner shims. You don't get much room to play with inside the chain guide usually so it can be important to space it perfectly to stop the chain from rubbing. I found with my Gamut Trail SCX guide running 10sp it was just about possible to set it up without the chain rubbing when at either end of the cassette...

That's if it is iscg mounted and not bb mounted!!!

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 13:14 Quote
Gandubas wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Gandubas wrote:

No.

If the headtube measures 44mm across the inside diameter.

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 13:31 Quote
Doing a lower leg service on my 2015 Revelation soon. RS recommend 15w oil in the lower legs, but I weigh 125lb so I reckon I should go with a lower weight to make the fork feel better. Thoughts?

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 13:33 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Doing a lower leg service on my 2015 Revelation soon. RS recommend 15w oil in the lower legs, but I weigh 125lb so I reckon I should go with a lower weight to make the fork feel better. Thoughts?

Buy some food instead lol

Just kidding.. Smile

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 13:50 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:

Bath oil wont effect the damping so it will not feel any different. Use the recommended oil as its what the seals are designed to be lubricated with.

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 14:00 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Not for the lowers, that would work in the damper though

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 at 0:22 Quote
Hey Guys

Can a Sram X01 1x11 fit on a Standard Freehub? Looking at ordering a new wheel with Hope Pro 4's except not XD freehubs left in stock.

Cheers
Finn

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033720
Mobile Version of Website