Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 11:57 Quote
Yeah definitely state you are a mountain biker and don't be afraid of that but do emphasise knowledge of road and hybrids

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 12:36 Quote
Also remember that open ended questions are KEY. It's all about getting them to talk about what they need, regardless of whether you're on the floor or doing write ups.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 13:14 Quote
Just try and get on well with the guys talking to you. You could be the best mech in the world but if you're a twat they aren't going to hire you. Be a nice guy. If they ask you what you can do with a bike be honest or learn quick lol . About it really.

Oh and if they give you a days trial or summat sweep like a bitch.

Got my Saturday job back in June and couldn't be happier

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 15:36 Quote
Offer to make them a coffee after ir during the interview and show off your barista skills.
They'll probably cancel the next interview if your coffee is good.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 15:38 Quote
dont suck up to them , just ask what they are looking for. and listen

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 15:43 Quote
Hey all.
Have a basic 29er that I'm upgrading.
Wanting to go to SLX brakes/levers (M-675) due to the performance/price point combo.
The bike is running Shimano M395 brakes and levers.
Can I use the current levers and purchase just the new calipers?
Or will I have to purchase the levers as well?

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 15:51 Quote
arcatern wrote:
Hey all.
Have a basic 29er that I'm upgrading.
Wanting to go to SLX brakes/levers (M-675) due to the performance/price point combo.
The bike is running Shimano M395 brakes and levers.
Can I use the current levers and purchase just the new calipers?
Or will I have to purchase the levers as well?

The new callipers alone will work fine with the old lever.

It's probably worth swapping both though. The SLX lever feels just as good a the higher end models, whereas the M395s are a bit long and wierd for getting a nice setup out of.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 16:03 Quote
Awesome.
Will I need to change rotors if I stay at the same size (160mm)?

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 18:20 Quote
iffy wrote:
Just be chill, definitely wear jeans unless it's a road shop (if it is wear full lycra kit and bring your own expresso machine)

Just answer their questions and be outgoing and stuff. For sales people they are looking for a good personality and selling bikes isn't exactly the most intellectually demanding thing.

Mechanicking ( Wink ) is a little different, at our shop they have you build a bike to see how comfortable you are working on them, and they look for detail oriented things, like taking off derailleur stickers, pre stretching cables, neatly cutting all cables and crimping the ends on, wheels should be trued... Etc.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 18:44 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
iffy wrote:
Just be chill, definitely wear jeans unless it's a road shop (if it is wear full lycra kit and bring your own expresso machine)

Just answer their questions and be outgoing and stuff. For sales people they are looking for a good personality and selling bikes isn't exactly the most intellectually demanding thing.

Mechanicking ( Wink ) is a little different, at our shop they have you build a bike to see how comfortable you are working on them, and they look for detail oriented things, like taking off derailleur stickers, pre stretching cables, neatly cutting all cables and crimping the ends on, wheels should be trued... Etc.

Thanks for all the help guys! The interview went super well and I was just myself and stressed my love for bikes to them and willingness to learn and I think I've got the job in a bag! I'm going back to talk schedules with the shop manager and I should know if I've got the job soon! Stoked to have a job where I can do nothing but talk and think bikes all day. Haha

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 7:11 Quote
Okay dropper question:

I've just ordered a Reverb bleed kit, and found out that they are back-ordered for like 2 weeks. I do, however, have an un-used SRAM brake bleed kit. So far as I can tell, the bleed ports are the same. The post needs a bleed, but also my brake hoses need to be shortened. Parts in question are a Reverb Stealth and Guide RSCs. So here's my question:

Is it going to fubar something if I use the brake bleed kit on the seatpost (with the proper reverb fluid), clean the hell out of the kit with ipa, and then use the same kit to bleed the brakes?

For the record, this is a one-off and I've ordered the proper kit for long-term use.

Also, some early research indicates that reverb oil is basically just 2.5wt suspension fluid. Hoping that's true?

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 9:55 Quote
sopro13 wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:
iffy wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys! The interview went super well and I was just myself and stressed my love for bikes to them and willingness to learn and I think I've got the job in a bag! I'm going back to talk schedules with the shop manager and I should know if I've got the job soon! Stoked to have a job where I can do nothing but talk and think bikes all day. Haha

dude, if you're going back to talk schedules, I think there's a good chance you might have the job. but don't let it go to your head, just revel in this moment...

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 12:50 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Okay dropper question:

I've just ordered a Reverb bleed kit, and found out that they are back-ordered for like 2 weeks. I do, however, have an un-used SRAM brake bleed kit. So far as I can tell, the bleed ports are the same. The post needs a bleed, but also my brake hoses need to be shortened. Parts in question are a Reverb Stealth and Guide RSCs. So here's my question:

Is it going to fubar something if I use the brake bleed kit on the seatpost (with the proper reverb fluid), clean the hell out of the kit with ipa, and then use the same kit to bleed the brakes?

For the record, this is a one-off and I've ordered the proper kit for long-term use.

Also, some early research indicates that reverb oil is basically just 2.5wt suspension fluid. Hoping that's true?

i wouldn't: the seal bungs in the syringes are different between DOT and oil applications. you run the risk of killing the syringes.
you could always get a couple of generic syringes for a one-off, just make sure you get them with luer locks to hold the bleed fittings and clean them with brake cleaner after.
yes, reverb fluid is just fork oil: i think it's 3wt but 2.5 works fine (i put motorex 2.5 in my reverb service jobs)

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 12:51 Quote
What is the best bmx brake gyro setup?

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 14:38 Quote
For those of you who have sent out forks for service via mail what shipping service did you use?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.036408
Mobile Version of Website