Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 15:31 Quote
Dynex wrote:
For those of you who have sent out forks for service via mail what shipping service did you use?
Canada post (USPS for you)
Purolator
UPS
FEDEX

Will use whoever the service centers account is with OR the least expensive option if there is not an account.

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 19:40 Quote
Hey I was wondering if you should put degreaser on your bike?? Because my drivetrain isn't running as well as it should be. Thanks

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 20:25 Quote
Not really. I use WD40 bike foaming degreaser to clean my cassette, but other than that I don't. I'd probably get new cables and housing first.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 0:22 Quote
I don't tend too use degreaser, I don't let my bikes get that dirty, I just use much off cleaner

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 1:49 Quote
Quick question, would MTB V brakes fit onto a BMX bike? I am buying a 2011ish WeThePeople BMX bike off a mate for $40, but it does need a lot of work. One thing it doesn't have is brakes, so as my question says about will MTB V brakes fit a BMX or are they different?

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 1:55 Quote
Depends on if they are v brake mounts (race frame) or 990 mounts (freestyle frame).
WTP frame so should be 990 mounts, so short answer: No. V brakes won't fit.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 5:14 Quote
Recently serviced my boxxers. All new fluids o rings, washers and seals. Before I serviced, the compression knob would turn but nothing would happen. After putting it all back together, I found that the service didn't help at all. Anyone else had or heard of a problem like this before?

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 6:39 Quote
DHJunkie91 wrote:
Recently serviced my boxxers. All new fluids o rings, washers and seals. Before I serviced, the compression knob would turn but nothing would happen. After putting it all back together, I found that the service didn't help at all. Anyone else had or heard of a problem like this before?

service the compression damper, or check oil level...

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 8:17 Quote
DHJunkie91 wrote:

What boxxers? The damper in RC's is significantly different to the charger damper...

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 9:39 Quote
I recently had my Manitou Mattoc fork out for a ride in -3c temperatures and the fork got supper sluggish.

Is this normal?
Is there a spec for temperature the fork can handle?
Is these something I can do to fix it like changing fork suspension oil weight?

Thanks.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 10:47 Quote
JeffV wrote:
I recently had my Manitou Mattoc fork out for a ride in -3c temperatures and the fork got supper sluggish.

Is this normal?
Is there a spec for temperature the fork can handle?
Is these something I can do to fix it like changing fork suspension oil weight?

Thanks.
Cold has a huge impact on suspension damping.

Completely normal but someone with more knowledges than I should be able to go into more detail.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 10:57 Quote
This is probably a dumb question.... If you are working with a Lyrik 170 which has 170/180 written on it...would I be correct to assume you can't sneak a 160mm air shaft in it to drop it to 160?

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 11:06 Quote
pdon wrote:
This is probably a dumb question.... If you are working with a Lyrik 170 which has 170/180 written on it...would I be correct to assume you can't sneak a 160mm air shaft in it to drop it to 160?
Nope, you could lower it to 160 if you want.

Not 100 percent sure but I think you could even go like 120 or 130 with a yari air shaft.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 11:11 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
pdon wrote:
Nope, you could lower it to 160 if you want.

Not 100 percent sure but I think you could even go like 120 or 130 with a yari air shaft.
A yari air shaft is the same as a lyrik one. the only difference between the two forks is the damper.
I can't see why a 160mm air shaft from either wouldn't work

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 11:23 Quote
neorider wrote:
DHJunkie91 wrote:

service the compression damper, or check oil level...
If its an RC the damper is likely broken (theres a plastic clip that fails and prevents the damper from turning or adjusting.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.045182
Mobile Version of Website