Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 16:10 Quote
About PC'ing the frame, make sure to tell then to use lower baking temperatures/paint. Just as a precaution, there is a possibility to weaken the frame by exposing it to the same temperatures that originally heat-treated the frame (around t6 temp).

And for the fork with the scratch, i wouldnt even worry about it. Luckily it's high up on the stanchion and a very small scratch. If you dont feel any friction that's great, but you can always get 3M 1k~1.5k (Polishing) Wet Sandpaper and go over the area to really make sure things are smoothed out. Did the same on my current fork, unfortunately previous owner was a bit careless and had two close fairly small round blemishes that were slightly rough. Wetsanded the specific area down for about 10minutes (it's very slow) and result is smooth as it can be.

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 18:00 Quote
nevi414 wrote:
Hey does anyone have a ball park idea of how much it costs to have a frame painted (2012 specialized status) and does anyone know of any good paint companies there are out there that specialize in painting frames?
it cost $250 dollars for a local automotive shop to sand blast and paint it with 2 different colors

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 18:39 Quote
Really auto shops? That sounds sweet and much less that I thought itd be..im trying to have it painted the colors of the blue/yellow demo 8 frameset. Call me crazy I know but by time ill be able to afford it theyll be long gone so have to settle for 2nd best..so would an auto shop be able to do the specialized and status logos also w the paint job?

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 19:55 Quote
nevi414 wrote:
Really auto shops? That sounds sweet and much less that I thought itd be..im trying to have it painted the colors of the blue/yellow demo 8 frameset. Call me crazy I know but by time ill be able to afford it theyll be long gone so have to settle for 2nd best..so would an auto shop be able to do the specialized and status logos also w the paint job?
get decals from specialized and yes auto shops might sound silly but they did a great job

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 21:45 Quote
ecshred wrote:
Kind of hard to justify but this is the best one I could take
photo

Don't worry about it. I've run forks that looked like prison inmates compared to that. You should be fine. Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 23:48 Quote
Does anyone know how to convert a front shifter into a dropper post remote? Answers are greatly appreciated

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 0:32 Quote
saxman2324 wrote:
Does anyone know how to convert a front shifter into a dropper post remote? Answers are greatly appreciated

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/21/hack-make-your-road-or-mountain-bike-front-shifter-activate-a-dropper-post/

google is your friend Razz Hope that helps. am looking at doing it myself actually haha.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 0:47 Quote
hambee-enchurbro wrote:
saxman2324 wrote:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/21/hack-make-your-road-or-mountain-bike-front-shifter-activate-a-dropper-post/

google is your friend Razz Hope that helps. am looking at doing it myself actually haha.

I've been tinkering with it for about an hour and I think I've got it. Just a few adjustments here and there and it should be set!

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
So I have a 2013 Vivid Air Medium Compression tune on my 2011 Giant Reign. Even when the air canister is filled to 200 PSI, I am running about 40% sag. When I let out the air from the shock at full length, and compress, the shock rebounds from full compression. Any ideas what the issue is?

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 20:13 Quote
TNFking wrote:
So I have a 2013 Vivid Air Medium Compression tune on my 2011 Giant Reign. Even when the air canister is filled to 200 PSI, I am running about 40% sag. When I let out the air from the shock at full length, and compress, the shock rebounds from full compression. Any ideas what the issue is?

How much you weigh?

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 20:18 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
TNFking wrote:

You're a fat f*ck and need to run 290 PSI?
180 at most with gear.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 20:26 Quote
TNFking wrote:
VTwintips wrote:
TNFking wrote:

180 at most with gear.

I don't actually know anything about Vidid Airs. I do know that with my DHX Air 5, I put it as high as I can without getting too close to the max. (so like 25 psi from max on both main and propedal spots.) Maybe its the same for you?

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 20:36 Quote
Pretty sure max psi on the vivid air is 275 psi, so you can keep going if you are only at 200.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 21:23 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
TNFking wrote:
VTwintips wrote:

180 at most with gear.

I don't actually know anything about Vidid Airs. I do know that with my DHX Air 5, I put it as high as I can without getting too close to the max. (so like 25 psi from max on both main and propedal spots.) Maybe its the same for you?

First off make certain that the tune is correct. Second remember that the Max PSI has an industry fail safe within it. you can push over the max PSI I have heard up to 1/3 over. If they sent out every shock with an actual say 200 max PSI and everyone used 200 they would have a bunch of failures its more like 300...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033706
Mobile Version of Website