Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 14:01 Quote
You really needn't do anything, the pressure will not vary enough to have any effect

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 14:36 Quote
Hi, I have a stripped stem bolt on my raceface respond stem. It wasn't me who did it but the previous owner. I want to remove the bolt to do basic cleaning easier and to swap forks. Any idea how to get it out? It is semi recessed so I can't really use vice grips.
Thanks

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 14:59 Quote
OK thanks I will look into that

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 15:00 Quote
xXTinnTinnXx wrote:
Hi, I have a stripped stem bolt on my raceface respond stem. It wasn't me who did it but the previous owner. I want to remove the bolt to do basic cleaning easier and to swap forks. Any idea how to get it out? It is semi recessed so I can't really use vice grips.
Thanks

You mean the allen head is rounded or the threads have stripped?

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 16:11 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
You really needn't do anything, the pressure will not vary enough to have any effect

Ive personally gone top of the main mountain (most popular?/jung) of the Alps, and even little more thab halfway up there a lot of people starts to get sleepy due to change of pressure. With that said, there is enough difference to change suspension (fork mostly) and tires around. Like within the fork, pressure will build up hence the introduction of air bleed valves. It wont be the most drastic thing of course. But im sure i would personally change my settings to compensate for the slight changes.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 16:42 Quote
bigburd wrote:
xXTinnTinnXx wrote:
Thanks

^ This, if its just the head thats stripped some type of "easy out" tool should be able to get it.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 17:01 Quote
bigburd wrote:
xXTinnTinnXx wrote:
Thanks

The allen key was rounded out but I managed to tap it out with a screwdriver and a hammer

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 15:02 Quote
any tips for stopping valve stems getting torn off by slipping tyres?

cheers

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 15:06 Quote
Buy tubes with the fully threaded valve, not they cheapo ones where the rubber extends up half the valve. Keep the little nut thing tight against the rim

Failing that use superglue to keep the tyre from slipping

Disclaimer, last suggestion wasn't serious

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 15:13 Quote
tried schwalbe tube with threaded valve, died as well, have actually considered spray on glue... will probably change tyre Blank Stare

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 15:15 Quote
Conti tubes are good in my experience, though they're probably no different to anything else
Maybe glue isn't such a bad idea...
what tyre/rim combo causes the problem?

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 15:18 Quote
retro swami matrix rim and old bonty xr4 team issue (not tlr)

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
If you're running the same tyres front and rear it might make a difference to swap them over, chances are there will be a little variation between the rims and/or tyres.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.086688
Mobile Version of Website