Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 19:34 Quote
Leedle-Leedle-Lee wrote:
Second hand RCT?

SouthernNW wrote:
..What's the best lube to use for my nipples..

Where's jesp at?

Couldn't help but notice that...

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 22:45 Quote
Not sure if this is the right place but.. I took my 888s in to get serviced this week and they came back with this foam ring which looks suspiciously like part of the seal. The mechanic is a bit of a smart ass and he said "they all have them now". So, what is it and why is it there? Curious as i've never seen it before and I get the feeling the mech's just trying to save coin by not having to remove it. Cheers
photo

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 22:48 Quote
the foam ring keeps oil in the top of the fork, it should sit under the top dustwiper

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 22:52 Quote
Nobble wrote:
the foam ring keeps oil in the top of the fork, it should sit under the top dustwiper

Which is exactly why i'm confused about why it's between the seal and crown?

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 22:58 Quote
Thoughts on NS Surge Evo 2014 with Manitou Circus Expert 130mm Fork for trail riding, DJ, tiny bit of downhill and commuting? This seem like a decent idea? Or recommend a better fork under $500 that can withstand some big dirtjumps yet be decent on regular trails?

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 23:22 Quote
Ollie-J wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place but.. I took my 888s in to get serviced this week and they came back with this foam ring which looks suspiciously like part of the seal. The mechanic is a bit of a smart ass and he said "they all have them now". So, what is it and why is it there? Curious as i've never seen it before and I get the feeling the mech's just trying to save coin by not having to remove it. Cheers
photo

Pretty stupid. Not that he left it there so much, but failed to explain or give reassurance that everything beneath the wiper seals, aka the foam ring is in the right place. Could even eventually wear down that side over time.

Honestly, you need to open it up and take off the lowers. It's super easy to do and very straightforward. It's the only way you'll know 100% that the foam ring is in the right place and the service 'mechanic' did his job right.. Plus, you'll know how to do basic Lower's oil change in the future and replace seals/foam ring instead on relying on smartass who you can't completely trust. Open up the fork, check, and if it's not there, call that shithead up again and see if he lies, go with it for a minute, then lay your wrath on him.

Hell if it does turn out he completely left out the foam oil ring, and that he wasnt trying to be all cute by adding an old foam ring as if it was a standard stanchion o-ring..I would want to know what else he messed up inside lol.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
EMERGENCY:
I'm racing tomorrow, all bike shops are closed.
Are there any household items that can be used to lube up cables? rear der. cable is sticking a little. normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I just moved to school, and don't have most of my stuff. Anyone use chain lube before?

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 19:44 Quote
trailblitz wrote:
EMERGENCY:
I'm racing tomorrow, all bike shops are closed.
Are there any household items that can be used to lube up cables? rear der. cable is sticking a little. normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I just moved to school, and don't have most of my stuff. Anyone use chain lube before?

Chain lube should be fine.

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 20:02 Quote
Chain lube, fork oil, motor oil just suck it up the housing and get the cable in

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 20:54 Quote
thanks guys, chain lube worked great

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 21:26 Quote
I'm not sure what you would use if you didn't use chain lube.

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 21:28 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
I was thinking that after I made my post

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 23:26 Quote
VTwintips wrote:

Special 800$ gear cable lube. But yeah, I can't think of much else you would use instead of chain lube.

Posted: Aug 24, 2014 at 2:09 Quote
GT85. Always works for me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022800
Mobile Version of Website