Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 18:35 Quote
angry-sasquatch wrote:
What so you mean by failure? They will wear out of course

Pad coming detached from backing plate.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 19:10 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Ulysees wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:

False. I ran short cage x9 with a 32t nw ring and wolftooth 42t on my slayer with no issues other than some sluggish downshifting. Everything has to be adjusted perfectly but in no way will it not work

Having inconsistent shifting does sound like something which will not work.

a short cage wont cover an 11-36 cassette on most single pivots without being seriously overstretched on the large cog at full bottom out or seriously slack on the small cog with the suspension fully extended. it may look like it works when you are setting the bike up with no weight on it but you are going to wear the springs out on the mech extremely fast and suffer major chainslap and serious stress on the mechs pivots which often leads to sluggish shifting. this problem is only going to be magnified with an 11-42 cassette to the point that it will be dodgy even on a hardtail. a med cage mech will keep much better control of the chain over the full range of gears, shift much more efficiently and last a whole lot longer.

Yeah I am running a med cage on my SX Trail. I was hoping for a good flow with a short on my HT. But decided today I'm sticking with the 1x9 on it since I really cant justify needing the extra granny on something that pedals so well.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 19:54 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Ulysees wrote:

Having inconsistent shifting does sound like something which will not work.

a short cage wont cover an 11-36 cassette on most single pivots without being seriously overstretched on the large cog at full bottom out or seriously slack on the small cog with the suspension fully extended. it may look like it works when you are setting the bike up with no weight on it but you are going to wear the springs out on the mech extremely fast and suffer major chainslap and serious stress on the mechs pivots which often leads to sluggish shifting. this problem is only going to be magnified with an 11-42 cassette to the point that it will be dodgy even on a hardtail. a med cage mec will keep much better control of the chain over the full range of gears, shift much more efficiently and last a whole lot longer.

Yeah I am running a med cage on my SX Trail. I was hoping for a good flow with a short on my HT. But decided today I'm sticking with the 1x9 on it since I really cant justify needing the extra granny on something that pedals so well.
I have been running a shirt cage on my flatline which is a single pivot

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 21:42 Quote
not sure what you mean about the air valve..[/Quote]

Well.. On the picture you posted there's a stancion and thin rod which I call air shaft. On the bottom of this shaft there's some shraedder valve. It looks like one that I linked before.
If you disasemble your fork I'm sure you will find it ( if you have RS rev).

EDIT:

here's a link so u know what I'm talking about

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2012-13-rockshox-sid-solo-air-negative-air-valve-908933.html

In that forum one says that this is release valve for negative air chamber. So where excesive air goes through that valve? in lowers maybe?

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 2:58 Quote
ridgidframe wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

a short cage wont cover an 11-36 cassette on most single pivots without being seriously overstretched on the large cog at full bottom out or seriously slack on the small cog with the suspension fully extended. it may look like it works when you are setting the bike up with no weight on it but you are going to wear the springs out on the mech extremely fast and suffer major chainslap and serious stress on the mechs pivots which often leads to sluggish shifting. this problem is only going to be magnified with an 11-42 cassette to the point that it will be dodgy even on a hardtail. a med cage mec will keep much better control of the chain over the full range of gears, shift much more efficiently and last a whole lot longer.

I use a short x0 on 34x 11-36 with no problems at all for over a year.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 5:20 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
ridgidframe wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Originally it was a 42T cog and the short cage. Just go medium cage -- no burps or hiccups.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 6:11 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
ridgidframe wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Hardtail or full sus?
Pics of this setup in highest and lowest gear please?

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 9:56 Quote
trzalica wrote:
not sure what you mean about the air valve..

Well.. On the picture you posted there's a stancion and thin rod which I call air shaft. On the bottom of this shaft there's some shraedder valve. It looks like one that I linked before.
If you disasemble your fork I'm sure you will find it ( if you have RS rev).

EDIT:

here's a link so u know what I'm talking about

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2012-13-rockshox-sid-solo-air-negative-air-valve-908933.html

In that forum one says that this is release valve for negative air chamber. So where excesive air goes through that valve? in lowers maybe?[/Quote]

it seems they use common parts on both the solo and dual air, but it is redundant and makes no difference to how the solo air will work.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 11:09 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
ridgidframe wrote:

Hardtail or full sus?
Pics of this setup in highest and lowest gear please?

Just took some pictures in 10th and 1st with full extension and full compression, just can't upload from my phone, so pics will be later...
The mech does however get a bit tight in 1st at full compression, but still has about an inch of swing left.
I never noticed any slack shifts up or down in the year I've ridden it.
Oh yes and its a nukeproof mega am 2012

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 17:15 Quote
I have a rear shock on my DH bike that uses a Manitou 450 x 2.75 spring.

If I wanted a softer ride what would I look for - not sure what 450 x 2.75 means.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 17:19 Quote
fiftyfour-46 wrote:

If I wanted a softer ride what would I look for - not sure what 450 x 2.75 means.

Thanks in advance.

450 is the spring's weight and 2.75 is the diameter. If you want to go lighter, you'd go to a 425 or 400. staying with 2.75.But it's rider specific usually, so if you can, try out different spring weight to see what suits you best.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 20:37 Quote
debonis wrote:
fiftyfour-46 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

450 is the spring's weight and 2.75 is the diameter. If you want to go lighter, you'd go to a 425 or 400. staying with 2.75.But it's rider specific usually, so if you can, try out different spring weight to see what suits you best.
umm no....

it's the shock stroke.

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 7:00 Quote
Hey guys, I have a 2012 Norco Havoc and my friend wants to sell me a fork with 110mm of travel, even tbough my bike is only rated for 100mm, but what im thinking is that considering the fork is soft warm butter, that it would ride at 100mm from my weight (90lbs) any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 7:07 Quote
110 will probably make no difference to the geometry and barely stress the headtube anymore anyway. I've used a 140 fork on a frame built around a 120 and it had no troubles. You should be ok.

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 7:08 Quote
As Ryan said, it will be fine Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022654
Mobile Version of Website