Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 13:06 Quote
The-Catalan-Rider wrote:
Got that same aswer from a scotish dude last time... Is Dartmoor the only one to make a headset for this standard?

you can probably find more if you have a look around, what is wrong with their one?

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 15:07 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Wait hold the bus, what year is the frame? 2013 has a ~34mm upper cup
Haha it's a 2014 so IS42/IS52 but I'm gonna give the blink headset a go as I can't find any other that does it. Thank all of you for your help Big Grin

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 15:20 Quote
thisguyalex wrote:
my elka came that way too, you have co compress the spring a little to change them, I used 2 pairs of vise grips
I used vise grips too, but only had one so it was a real struggle. I guess it's kinda normal then and it won't be my problem anyway as I'm selling the shock. Just got a little confused cause I haven't had that problem with any other shock so far.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 6:37 Quote
Hi all

First post hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I have a question firstly mixed in with the problem, and that is i have chain slip or so it seems.

1, My cassette teeth are ok none bent, missing, or odd ware
2, chain its self seems good no bent individuals or twists apart from the normal movement,
3, It slips when i first start off or stand to put power into the pedal
4, I have taken the back bike wheel off and if i manually grab the cassette and turn it clockwise/anti a few times in a wrist movement at some point the cassette goes round without the wheel/rim like it skips past something

Question what is causing the slips,? im thinking poss bearings or something to do with the hub, i used de-greeser to clean my bike like a idiot could this have got into the hub and bearings.

I am on a really tight budget at the moment and all bike work i have to do my self im a quick learner but im limited to you tube vids for my how to.

Any further info required let me know and all help much appreciated.

Another question to be honest it seems everything is going wrong at once i replaced my back tire and where the rim meets the tire i am getting tares is this solely to do with pressure i feel like putting more than 30 in it like it will explode. My original tire tore open and i thought it was the new tram lines and my back wheel got caught in between them. When i sent for another it happened pretty much all around it on both sides, whats the best solution to stop this happening.?

If you know of any good links reading or vids please point me to them.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 6:58 Quote
Time for a new free hub by the sounds of it , you may be lucky and it just needs a clean and grease but it's likely the pawls or teeth are worn or the return springs have snapped or lost memory.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 7:20 Quote
Flint78 wrote:
Hi all

First post hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I have a question firstly mixed in with the problem, and that is i have chain slip or so it seems.

2, chain its self seems good no bent individuals or twists apart from the normal movement,
4, I have taken the back bike wheel off and if i manually grab the cassette and turn it clockwise/anti a few times in a wrist movement at some point the cassette goes round without the wheel/rim like it skips past something

Question what is causing the slips,? im thinking poss bearings or something to do with the hub, i used de-greeser to clean my bike like a idiot could this have got into the hub and bearings.

I am on a really tight budget at the moment and all bike work i have to do my self im a quick learner but im limited to you tube vids for my how to.

Another question to be honest it seems everything is going wrong at once i replaced my back tire and where the rim meets the tire i am getting tares is this solely to do with pressure i feel like putting more than 30 in it like it will explode. My original tire tore open and i thought it was the new tram lines and my back wheel got caught in between them. When i sent for another it happened pretty much all around it on both sides, whats the best solution to stop this happening.?

yeah bigburd is on it with the free hub. take it apart and clean and inspect it. As far as the tire shredding apart take it off and inspect the rim. Any burrs should be taken down with a file or sand paper. may be that someone took the tire off with a screw driver at some point???? Who knows check for cracks in the rim as well.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 7:22 Quote
Flint78 wrote:
Hi all

parktools has a nice section as does arts cyclery

have a go at srvicing the freehub, you may bring it back to life, but bear in mind the freewheel letting go when you are giving it your all on the peadals will more often than not end in tears. Attention

and as you said yourself degreasers are not friendly with many things, soapy water is enough most of the time!

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 10:14 Quote
Flint78 wrote:
Hi all

As stated above, it is your freehub that is at fault. What brand/model of hub are you using? Some (eg Hope) you can just pull the freehub off with no tools, and access the pawls and springs. Give em a good clean and re-lube with oil/light grease and hopefully this will solve the problem. If not try new pawls and springs. Other hubs require tools to get in there, and in some cases the freehub is non serviceable and you will simply have to buy a new freehub (usually not eye wateringly expensive) and fit it.

As for the tyre, this is a long shot, but are you running rim brakes? If so, check the pads are not hitting the tyre at any point. They can move up or down as you pull the brake lever so check all possible positions, and make sure there are no flat spots in your rim allowing the tyre to dip down onto the brake pads. If you are using disc or other hub based brakes, then refer to the advice given above by sterlingmagnum. If you are running pressures under 30psi, this can lead to a sort of cross hatching effect on the tyre sidewall, but this is not a major issue. Post Pics?

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 10:42 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Time for a new free hub by the sounds of it , you may be lucky and it just needs a clean and grease but it's likely the pawls or teeth are worn or the return springs have snapped or lost memory.

Cheers BB, If, an SM for the quick responses,

Freehub?????? taking apart can this be done with out having to true the wheel when i put it back. I take it the freehub is a hub the thingy magigy that holds the spokes. I will google for a vid on cleaning the rear hub thanks dudes. the first time it let go slipped yeah my shin got a slight helloooooooooooooooooo Cry Facepalm

I only ever use plastic when changing a tire learn t that one many years ago lol

regarding the tire and rim rub i was thinking about using an old innertube cutting it down the middle, placing it on the rim put the innertube and tire on inflate leaving a flap either side of the rim and then like triming off the edges as to give the tire like a little extra rubber inbetween the tire fold and the rim. What do you guys think. I saw this done on a you tube vid but it was used to make tubeless tires but i think it could have a multi use.????

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 11:30 Quote
Flint78 wrote:
bigburd wrote:

Cheers BB, If, an SM for the quick responses,

Freehub?????? taking apart can this be done with out having to true the wheel when i put it back. I take it the freehub is a hub the thingy magigy that holds the spokes. I will google for a vid on cleaning the rear hub thanks dudes. the first time it let go slipped yeah my shin got a slight helloooooooooooooooooo Cry Facepalm

I only ever use plastic when changing a tire learn t that one many years ago lol

regarding the tire and rim rub i was thinking about using an old innertube cutting it down the middle, placing it on the rim put the innertube and tire on inflate leaving a flap either side of the rim and then like triming off the edges as to give the tire like a little extra rubber inbetween the tire fold and the rim. What do you guys think. I saw this done on a you tube vid but it was used to make tubeless tires but i think it could have a multi use.????
The freehub is the part of the hub that the cassette fits to. The bit that clicks when you're free wheeling. You won't need to touch the spokes/true the wheel from working on your freehub. What brand is it?
I take it you have rim tape on the rim? And decent quality tubes and tyres?

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 11:41 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

As stated above, it is your freehub that is at fault. What brand/model of hub are you using? Some (eg Hope) you can just pull the freehub off with no tools, and access the pawls and springs. Give em a good clean and re-lube with oil/light grease and hopefully this will solve the problem. If not try new pawls and springs. Other hubs require tools to get in there, and in some cases the freehub is non serviceable and you will simply have to buy a new freehub (usually not eye wateringly expensive) and fit it.

As for the tyre, this is a long shot, but are you running rim brakes? If so, check the pads are not hitting the tyre at any point. They can move up or down as you pull the brake lever so check all possible positions, and make sure there are no flat spots in your rim allowing the tyre to dip down onto the brake pads. If you are using disc or other hub based brakes, then refer to the advice given above by sterlingmagnum. If you are running pressures under 30psi, this can lead to a sort of cross hatching effect on the tyre sidewall, but this is not a major issue. Post Pics?[/Quote]

Hub is (shimano FH-RM30) any ideas ??

Cheeky story with the tire so my first one is the one in the pics, I then bought a new one Kenda and it happened to that one but really bad, as i only had it less than a month i sent it back to the Manufacturer not the online shop i bought it from i never bother with the retailer if i can help it when returning something due to fault damage breakage ect because the Manufacture bendover backwards and ask if you want your toe nails clipping while there down there, thus i got a brand new tire RETURNED BACK TO ME. OHHH YEAHH. Unfortunately i dont have a pic of the damage to that one. I worked sales and tech support dealing with Manufacturers and believe me the retailer might bew fussy about accepting a return but i had Screen/monitor and after 4 years i got intouch the next day a man arrived picked it up and delivered me a new one the day after but with a special SN: to identify it as Manufacturer replacement but hay still a new one.

As for the brakes standard rim Jobie. so to speak. they may have caused the other damage but i have checked them this time, so there is no rub.
I understand tire pressure is a whole major kettle of fish on its own and a lot of personal preference involved, however my Kenda says 30-80 PSI is it ok to say run at 40 is really seems like it want to explode can the inner tube and rim take it also im a big lad 16st so would you say high PSI or a low PSI.??? oh no as i just checked my new tire i can see the rubber near the fold starting to stretch and tare like the other one any chance this could work from my other post, as i doubt i will get another one free.

"regarding the tire and rim rub i was thinking about using an old inner-tube cutting it down the middle, placing it on the rim put the inner-tube and tire on inflate leaving a flap either side of the rim and then like triming off the edges as to give the tire like a little extra rubber in-between the tire fold and the rim. What do you guys think. I saw this done on a you tube vid but it was used to make tubeless tires but i think it could have a multi use.???? "

Pics links Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://photos3.virginmedia.com/virginmedia/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=13470507006/a=5492253006_5492253006/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=virginmedia/

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 12:16 Quote
GaryOrange5 wrote:

The freehub is the part of the hub that the cassette fits to. The bit that clicks when you're free wheeling. You won't need to touch the spokes/true the wheel from working on your freehub. What brand is it?
I take it you have rim tape on the rim? And decent quality tubes and tyres?[/Quote]

yep i have rim tape

My new rear tire is Kenda Nevegal 26x1.95 K1010 (ETRTO 50-559) 550+/- 25g Folding Bead 30-80 psi -120 TPI are these ok.

My needs are general on road poss 30-50 miles a week off road around the waterpark and some horse trails/bike trails in Manchester poss 20-40 miles a week. Trying to get back in shape basically so i thought that tire would suit my needs whats your thoughts.
My other thoughts on the rim rub is that i should get a wider tire see images, now the front one sits neatly on the tire fold where it is horizontally lined like double folded i think they call it you can see the rim sits nice and neat.
Now although the bike tire is off at the moment (kenda) i held it in place and took a pic of how it looks all the way round the tire the folded bit moves and does not sit neatly like image 1462 sorry for the other 2 blurry ones hopefully my description gives you enough info to understand my issue.

Images Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://photos3.virginmedia.com/virginmedia/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=13470507006/a=5492253006_5492253006/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=virginmedia/

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 12:31 Quote
Flint78 wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:

yep i have rim tape

My new rear tire is Kenda Nevegal 26x1.95 K1010 (ETRTO 50-559) 550+/- 25g Folding Bead 30-80 psi -120 TPI are these ok.

My needs are general on road poss 30-50 miles a week off road around the waterpark and some horse trails/bike trails in Manchester poss 20-40 miles a week. Trying to get back in shape basically so i thought that tire would suit my needs whats your thoughts.
My other thoughts on the rim rub is that i should get a wider tire see images, now the front one sits neatly on the tire fold where it is horizontally lined like double folded i think they call it you can see the rim sits nice and neat.
Now although the bike tire is off at the moment (kenda) i held it in place and took a pic of how it looks all the way round the tire the folded bit moves and does not sit neatly like image 1462 sorry for the other 2 blurry ones hopefully my description gives you enough info to understand my issue.

Images Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://photos3.virginmedia.com/virginmedia/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=13470507006/a=5492253006_5492253006/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=virginmedia/[/Quote]

Hard to see but it dosent look like that tire is set try lower pressure and hand folding the tire where the bead looks like it is still in the rim to see if you can get the thing to evenly seat...

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 12:35 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Flint78 wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:

yep i have rim tape

Images Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://photos3.virginmedia.com/virginmedia/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=13470507006/a=5492253006_5492253006/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=virginmedia/

Hard to see but it dosent look like that tire is set try lower pressure and hand folding the tire where the bead looks like it is still in the rim to see if you can get the thing to evenly seat...[/Quote]

I spent hour and hours trying the first time to get it to sit i will put it back together and vid it and put link up and you can see how it sits that might help you to diagnose the problem. 5 mins

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 12:54 Quote
Flint78 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Flint78 wrote:

yep i have rim tape

Hard to see but it dosent look like that tire is set try lower pressure and hand folding the tire where the bead looks like it is still in the rim to see if you can get the thing to evenly seat...

I spent hour and hours trying the first time to get it to sit i will put it back together and vid it and put link up and you can see how it sits that might help you to diagnose the problem. 5 mins[/Quote]

See link below i aslo have access to another rear rim a decent one i was told its the silver hub one only issue is spoke are lose and rim will deffo need truing

http://photos3.virginmedia.com/virginmedia/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=13470774006/a=5492253006_5492253006/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=virginmedia/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.048260
Mobile Version of Website