Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 11:54 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
So my derailleur hanger and hanger bolt snapped. I already got a replacement hanger but does anyone know where the best place to get a replacement bolt would be?
What bolt type is it?

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 11:59 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:
So my derailleur hanger and hanger bolt snapped. I already got a replacement hanger but does anyone know where the best place to get a replacement bolt would be?
What bolt type is it?

M3 if i just measured correctly.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 12:07 Quote
photo

Its 10mm long, 5mm wide

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 12:37 Quote
Also, has anyone ever ridden without a hanger bolt? Seems to me as though once you actually install the rear wheel the hanger isn't going anywhere unless it snaps (bolt or not)

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 13:21 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
Also, has anyone ever ridden without a hanger bolt? Seems to me as though once you actually install the rear wheel the hanger isn't going anywhere unless it snaps (bolt or not)
Definitely recommend having it. On one of my old bikes the hanger snapped and it broke the frame too, where one of the bolts screws into. I thought the same as you and figured the wheel would hold it , but under the forces of shifting it moves a bit a screws the shifting up.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 13:43 Quote
scblurnz wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:
Definitely recommend having it. On one of my old bikes the hanger snapped and it broke the frame too, where one of the bolts screws into. I thought the same as you and figured the wheel would hold it , but under the forces of shifting it moves a bit a screws the shifting up.

I was thinking that might happen but I was hitting mine with a hammer a few minutes ago and it did not budge at all. Looking at the design on my particular frame/hanger and considering the weight of the bolt I broke I'm highly confident it's only real purpose is to keep the hanger in place while you install the wheel/axle, after which essentially no stress is being absorbed by the bolt and even if the bolt did break while riding it wouldn't matter.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 14:23 Quote
For that you will either have to modify an existing bolt or order a new replacement from the dealer.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 14:38 Quote
Isn't the hanger bolt just a chainring bolt? On any bike I've had, that's all it's been.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 14:44 Quote
debonis wrote:
Isn't the hanger bolt just a chainring bolt? On any bike I've had, that's all it's been.
On most bikes yes. But on some they are not. Example Marin quake used 3 M6 bolts.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 16:47 Quote
debonis wrote:
worth noting this if your frame has one, if you break a hanger you win a free spare chainring bolt. I was on three before i realised my frame was bent. not quite a full set...

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
Hi there, first post -
I just picked up an old Specialized FSR in a pawn shop ($225, did I do good or bad?)

It had a Hayes hydraulic on the front, and I wanted to stop it rubbing - since I don't know what I'm doing, I took the whole thing apart (as in bolts out, 2 halves laid open) to get the pads out to get to the pistons. I pumped the lever a few times while it was out before I decided maybe I shouldn't. Got it all back together, brake doesn't work, no resistance in the lever whatsoever.

I plan to take it to the LBS first chance I get, but wanted to get a feeling for how deep I'm in - could it just need a bleed/fill or am I in trouble?

Best,
DB

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 17:55 Quote
BadLlama wrote:
Hi there, first post -
I just picked up an old Specialized FSR in a pawn shop ($225, did I do good or bad?)

It had a Hayes hydraulic on the front, and I wanted to stop it rubbing - since I don't know what I'm doing, I took the whole thing apart (as in bolts out, 2 halves laid open) to get the pads out to get to the pistons. I pumped the lever a few times while it was out before I decided maybe I shouldn't. Got it all back together, brake doesn't work, no resistance in the lever whatsoever.

I plan to take it to the LBS first chance I get, but wanted to get a feeling for how deep I'm in - could it just need a bleed/fill or am I in trouble?

Best,
DB
Slot of those Hayes brakes won't take bleeds as the rubber inside is to deteriorated to seal well

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 17:58 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
BadLlama wrote:
Hi there, first post -

Best,
DB
Slot of those Hayes brakes won't take bleeds as the rubber inside is to deteriorated to seal well

so am I in trouble then?

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 18:05 Quote
BadLlama wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
BadLlama wrote:
Hi there, first post -

Best,
DB

so am I in trouble then?
If you can't upgrade then yes, I would suggest shimano m445 brakes they are really cheap and reliable for the while you save for something better

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 18:15 Quote
CRChris wrote:
BadLlama wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

so am I in trouble then?
If you can't upgrade then yes, I would suggest shimano m445 brakes they are really cheap and reliable for the while you save for something better

thanks, I'll look into it. I was really hoping I hadn't ruined it...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.067508
Mobile Version of Website