Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 16:13 Quote
mfbeast12 wrote:
Hey guys,

I picked up an XT triple crank this week and one of the four bolts that holds the two bigger rings onto the spider is stripped (I'm removing all the rings because I have a narrow wide to throw on there). It is a T25 star type bolt, and the other three all came off easily.

Not a big deal to have to take it into the shop and have them get it out but wondering if anyone has any good hassle-free tips for freeing stripped bolts.
Those bolts are cheese; I tapped a slightly bigger torque bit in, until it caught, and removed like usual.

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 16:26 Quote
riggadon wrote:
Tubeless question

I'm buying a Schwalbe Vigilante tire that uses Schwalbe's TCS (Tubeless Compatible System). I'm using a non UST rim, just a Nukeproof generator DH rim. Will this tire seal on the rim when using stans sealant and rim strip? Anyone have experience with Scwalbe TCS?
Dont you mean WTB Vigilante?

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 16:43 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
nicknjegac wrote:
Alex-Mtl wrote:

Yes that would work perfectly. OneUp sells their cogs (40 or 42) with an extra 16 tooth cog, so your idea is perfect. I wouldn't be surprised either that it works even better then OneUp's since you're actually gonna be using a cog coming from an XT cassette.

edit: I know 2 guys who find that the 16 tooth from the OneUp works but is far from the shifting performance of the regular cog.
Keen on the hope cog since its silver and 'blends in' more than the one up. I found that there are plenty of shops online where I can find that cog, so hopefully the lbs can order one it as well(they look cheaper than the one up as well)
Keeping on topic does anyone know well how these work with 9 speed?

Wondering how that would work also!

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
Georgy-Lowe wrote:
riggadon wrote:
Tubeless question

I'm buying a Schwalbe Vigilante tire that uses Schwalbe's TCS (Tubeless Compatible System). I'm using a non UST rim, just a Nukeproof generator DH rim. Will this tire seal on the rim when using stans sealant and rim strip? Anyone have experience with Scwalbe TCS?
it will seal up just fine Schwalbe's are the best on the market for ease of sealing

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 21:01 Quote
riding a 2014 giant trance 3 and it currently has the sektor silver. looking to upgrade my fork. Friend is willing to sell me his revelation rc3 from his stumpy. well the trance has overdrive 2 so it looks like i need a new head set.

do I just need an upper or do I need to replace both? and for some more stupid questions is the headset I'm looking for threadless semi etc?

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 21:21 Quote
Tinga wrote:
riding a 2014 giant trance 3 and it currently has the sektor silver. looking to upgrade my fork. Friend is willing to sell me his revelation rc3 from his stumpy. well the trance has overdrive 2 so it looks like i need a new head set.

do I just need an upper or do I need to replace both? and for some more stupid questions is the headset I'm looking for threadless semi etc?

The Trance 3 has overdrive, not overdrive 2. The difference is that it has the same headtube, but a normal steertube, so there is no need to change anything on the headset.

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 21:34 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
nicknjegac wrote:

Keen on the hope cog since its silver and 'blends in' more than the one up. I found that there are plenty of shops online where I can find that cog, so hopefully the lbs can order one it as well(they look cheaper than the one up as well)
Keeping on topic does anyone know well how these work with 9 speed?

Wondering how that would work also!
Not well as the spacing is different between the gears, you end up with "ghost" shifting.

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 21:52 Quote
Georgy-Lowe wrote:
riggadon wrote:
Tubeless question

yep. WTB Vigilante my bad

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 0:51 Quote
Hi there help needed does anyone have a link showing how to bleed saint m810 brakes please...!!
Thanks in advance people

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 2:16 Quote
Shimano tech docs.

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 3:28 Quote
i have a RS monarch, upgrading to CC DB, will i need new mounting kit? if yes, which?

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 4:34 Quote
RyanWensley wrote:
Shimano tech docs.
Cheers buddy job done...!!!

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 4:41 Quote
Colgate81 wrote:
RyanWensley wrote:
Shimano tech docs.
Cheers buddy job done...!!!
No probs.

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 6:06 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
i have a RS monarch, upgrading to CC DB, will i need new mounting kit? if yes, which?

Possibly, depends on the width and size of the eyelets on your current shock, If they're exactly the same the most likely not. Otherwise here is a link that might be of some help. I normally use a caliper to take my measurements, it's the only way to be exact imo.

http://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/db-air/fit-finder

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 10:46 Quote
Can a shimano xt 10 speed dynasys chain fits sram chainrings and cassette?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029472
Mobile Version of Website