Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 8:17 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
No.

Deeper travel does not equate to higher shaft velocities.
Higher shaft velocities do not equate to deeper travel use.

Shim stacks just aren't position sensitive. I don't know what else I can say.

the velocity of my shaft slows down the deeper i stack it....

Haha! Redface

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 8:41 Quote
elkinfa19 wrote:
Hello. I have a question about headsets, specifically about crown races. I got a new bike and send it to the mechanic to be built because I don't have all the tools nor the agility/knowledge. The bike is ok, but when I saw the headset and fork crown, I noticed that a blue thing sticked out over the fork crown, I tought that it was grease or something like that, but unfortunately I realised that it was the blue rubber of the crown race (Cane Creek), which in some part was splitted, looks like it was very stretch and damaged during the installation. Should I change it? Would it allow water get into and damage the bearing? or is it harmless?

It's a fu***ng big concern, because I had to buy it via amazon, I live in Colombia and it's a shit to wait for those parts -and pay their price-, but I want everything working OK.

Greetings to everyone.

Its not the end of the world, but your headset wont be as well sealed as it was. I'd try and get the shop that damaged it to replace it, but if you leave it as it is you wont really do any damage. If you ride in the wet a lot your headset will need more regular servicing. Thats about it.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 8:46 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
elkinfa19 wrote:
Hello. I have a question about headsets, specifically about crown races. I got a new bike and send it to the mechanic to be built because I don't have all the tools nor the agility/knowledge. The bike is ok, but when I saw the headset and fork crown, I noticed that a blue thing sticked out over the fork crown, I tought that it was grease or something like that, but unfortunately I realised that it was the blue rubber of the crown race (Cane Creek), which in some part was splitted, looks like it was very stretch and damaged during the installation. Should I change it? Would it allow water get into and damage the bearing? or is it harmless?

It's a fu***ng big concern, because I had to buy it via amazon, I live in Colombia and it's a shit to wait for those parts -and pay their price-, but I want everything working OK.

Greetings to everyone.

Its not the end of the world, but your headset wont be as well sealed as it was. I'd try and get the shop that damaged it to replace it, but if you leave it as it is you wont really do any damage. If you ride in the wet a lot your headset will need more regular servicing. Thats about it.

Look at the photo.

It's the ugly part, ask to the mechanic to replace it, because they will say "It's not the end of the world", well, it's not, but it sucks.... Thanks.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 9:08 Quote
They may say "its not the end of the world" at which point you say "This is true, but I paid you to do it properly" If they say it was already damaged when it came in or something you may have a fight on your hands.

The way I see it, if you pay me to do a job, and I f*ck that job up, I ought to replace the part for free.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 11:33 Quote
elkinfa19 wrote:
Hello. I have a question about headsets, specifically about crown races. I got a new bike and send it to the mechanic to be built because I don't have all the tools nor the agility/knowledge. The bike is ok, but when I saw the headset and fork crown, I noticed that a little blue thing sticked out over the fork crown, I tought that it was grease or something like that, but unfortunately I realised that it was the blue rubber of the crown race (Cane Creek), which in some part was splitted, looks like it was very stretch and damaged during the installation. Should I change it? Would it allow water get into and damage the bearing? or is it harmless?

Greetings to everyone.

EDITION NOTE: The rubber piece that seems to be broken or out of place it's not big, and it "can" be put in its proper place but when I turn the head to the left it goes out again....
photo

Looks like the mechanic has damaged the outer seal upon installation , or not located it properly , get it back to them to sort it out.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 11:37 Quote
How do you even manage that?

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 12:00 Quote
Anyone routed a stealth dropper on a 2014 Dartmoor Hornet? I can see it has the routing on the seat tube but not sure where it goes after that as all the routings for cables and hoses are on the top tube?

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 12:44 Quote
bigburd wrote:
elkinfa19 wrote:
Hello. I have a question about headsets, specifically about crown races. I got a new bike and send it to the mechanic to be built because I don't have all the tools nor the agility/knowledge. The bike is ok, but when I saw the headset and fork crown, I noticed that a little blue thing sticked out over the fork crown, I tought that it was grease or something like that, but unfortunately I realised that it was the blue rubber of the crown race (Cane Creek), which in some part was splitted, looks like it was very stretch and damaged during the installation. Should I change it? Would it allow water get into and damage the bearing? or is it harmless?

Greetings to everyone.

EDITION NOTE: The rubber piece that seems to be broken or out of place it's not big, and it "can" be put in its proper place but when I turn the head to the left it goes out again....
photo

Looks like the mechanic has damaged the outer seal upon installation , or not located it properly , get it back to them to sort it out.

Hang on a second , I think i see the problem,

Looks like the lower cup has a dent just above the blue bit of seal , that would force the seal out when turning

And yes your bearings will suffer much quicker with out it there , lower bearings take all the mud and dirt flicking up from the front wheel.

The bike shop probably has a drawer that got old headsets and seals in , probably have one that will fit.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 12:45 Quote
Hi
I started to do a full service on my 2012 demo 8 today. I opened up all the pivots from the rear, however i could not get the "Dropout/Horst pivot" open. Does it open cw or ccw?
I did try carefully both ways, but im afraid i might break it.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 13:17 Quote
Well, I will leave it just like it's, with the damage. My mechanic will not pay it, but he will make some free services as a compensation. Next month I will change the crown race because in the long term it will be a f***ing headache, and this headset is the "highest end" piece of my new bike. Here comes the new question:

THe headset is an Cane Creek EC44/40 ZS44 (Allows a tapered fork get into a traditional oversized head tube) . I've been looking for the crown race and I'm getting crazy with the measures.... Which Crown Race size does it come with my headset? In the Cane Creek web the only information is "Crown Race Seat Dia. 39.79mm" and it matches with this item http://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-Crownrace-1-5-Steel/dp/B005DUUW2S/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1419109981&sr=1-4&keywords=crown+race+cane+creek .... but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 13:20 Quote
Killa-bee wrote:
Hi
I started to do a full service on my 2012 demo 8 today. I opened up all the pivots from the rear, however i could not get the "Dropout/Horst pivot" open. Does it open cw or ccw?
I did try carefully both ways, but im afraid i might break it.

I cant direct you to cw or ccw but guess ccw to remove ... Spec is notorious fir green thread lock and things can get dicey tight

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 13:26 Quote
Yeah my mate thought he was gonna f*ck the bolt on his Demo but is turned out to be green loctite, felt like a right mug when paid someone to do it! That was a 2012 as well.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 15:09 Quote
Ok, thanks for the tip guys. I will try again tomorrow with a bit of more force.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 17:34 Quote
bigburd wrote:
bigburd wrote:
elkinfa19 wrote:

Greetings to everyone.

photo

Hang on a second , I think i see the problem,

Looks like the lower cup has a dent just above the blue bit of seal , that would force the seal out when turning

And yes your bearings will suffer much quicker with out it there , lower bearings take all the mud and dirt flicking up from the front wheel.

The bike shop probably has a drawer that got old headsets and seals in , probably have one that will fit.
it looks like they used a hammer to seat the cup instead of using a press....

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 17:35 Quote
and not even a wood block

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.045451
Mobile Version of Website