PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Re-lacing my mavic deemax 2005 model
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Sep 26, 2012 at 5:59 Quote
ok, can anyone offer sound advice here.

background -

i have just destroyed 2 deemax rear wheels, the first took about 3 years and too many to count spokes being popped out of the hub, it did this basically from the day i got them from mavic, the problem seeemed to only happen at fort william DH track but then it is a particularly brutal trail. eventually spokes started threading out of the rim (threads in the rim sheared) until the point when my wheel was so badly out of true due to missing spokes it was unusable

i bought another full wheel off of ebay for much cheapness. Wheel looked like it had never been ridden, i had one day at fort bill and spokes kept popping out of hub until the last run when 3 spokes came free in one area and the wheel flatspotted massively including cracking the rim 80% of the way round in the cross section.

bugger.

i now have 2 new rims gained by favour from mavic UK which i am rebuilding onto the the still working hubs.

heres my query -

the original wheels are built 3 cross but with no spokes tucked under each other, basically all are free standing between the hub and the rim. This, to me, is fundamentally flawed - they have to be 3 cross, 2 over 1 under. i want to rebuild the wheel in the traditional way just described........will there be any issues with this such as the hub flanges/slots snapping

secondly i also think the way the wheel flexes guarantees a spoke or 2 popping out of the slots (the whole crux of the problem) , so i was gonna araldite the spoke heads in place.....a bit permanent i know, but, will this work or will it transfer loads somewhere else and will i still be able to true the wheel if the spokes are fixed at the hub end....or will the spokes just pop the araldite off

cheers for any advice

mike clyne

Posted: Sep 27, 2012 at 14:32 Quote
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Altering the intended cross and lacing pattern will definitely stress the hub flanges more and I would not change a thing.

A wheel needs to flex and the spoke interfaces at the hub and at the rim help in this process. I'm not quite sure what araldite is but assuming it's some sort of epoxy/metal filler I would not use it. The best thing you can do is to make sure you build the new wheels with very even spoke tension and keep them that way.

Another thing to consider would be a hub that uses traditional flanges and spokes laced to the new rims. This would eliminate the spokes popping out of the hub flanges.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 1, 2012 at 1:49 Quote
cheers buddy. yes araldite is a metal filler. I am lucky in that the position i am in is that i have 2 rims and 2 hubs with said spokes to rebuild. i think i am going to experiment and have one built as it should be and the other built in the way i want it to be and see over the years which one works best. am pretty fed up with the deemax and dont really care much for them. great as a race day wheel but thats about it, totally un managaeable for a heavy/hard rider to use daily, which for the cost is pretty rank. i spoke to some guys from mavic at an event and they told me not to go for the ultimate rims as the material is slightly different and is designed as a sacrificial rim to get you down the hill without a puncture, that is to say the rim walls will fail/fold in the event of hitting a rock that would normally cause a puncture. but instead of a puncture you just get a trashed rim, great for your championship winning run but not great for the privateer. its the older model i have which is definately stronger and have had many runs without air in the tyre and no visual damage to the rim.

unfortunately using a different hub + spokes with the rims is a no go as the spokes are proprietry with inbuilt splined nipples that thread directly in to the rim (this is different to the mavic 823 where there is an insert screwed in to the rim then a normal spoke nipple + spokes can be used)

in normal J bend spoke and flanged hub i would have thought the spoke couldnt move any way as there is nowhere for it to move to other than flex, which i'm hoping the the metal epoxy idea will replicate. thanks for your thoughts, they pretty much back up my own, but like i say i dont care for the wheels much anynmore and will try experimenting with them

Posted: Dec 30, 2013 at 9:49 Quote
hi there just read your post about your mavic deemax 2005 issues. im just enquiring if you managed to get them sorted as i have just sent mine off for a full rebuild and he said my hubs are knackered and getting replacement hubs are impossible due to the design changes from 2006 onwards. im asing this to see if you still have the rear hub in working order and would be interested in sellling it to me as i cant justify the cost of a whole new back wheel.

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 at 6:19 Quote
I know this post is old but...
I have a 2005 set of Deemax with broken spokes. I called almost every BS in the city and none have replacement spokes. I even been told that Mavic (Canada) doesn't provide stuff more then 5 years old, which sucks. Where did you found your spokes ? If you still have them, can you confirm that the first number of the serial number is a 6 (meaning it's a 2005 model, according to what a mech in a BS told me)...

thanks in advance for your response

Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 11:34 Quote
thank u, all needed info is in there Beer

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010776
Mobile Version of Website