Broken neck

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 3, 2012 at 23:02 Quote
Hi Guys,

After suffering for 2 months with a pain in my shoulder and arm my wife eventually persuaded me to go to the hospital. I just had an MRI scan and now i have to have 2 discs in my neck replaced. Anyone else had this? If so, how was the recovery? My operation is booked for monday and I'm shitting my pants.

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 20:07 Quote
Dibs on your bike if the operation doesn't work.

In al seriousness, that sounds bad but modern medicine can do all sorts of wonders. My boss broke his back vertibrea and try "superglued" it back (for lack of a better term). It was walking once the anesthesia wore off. He couldn't stand up straight before the surgery. You should recover well.

Posted: Oct 7, 2012 at 15:03 Quote
Sounds like an upgrade... Big Grin hope to see you on the bike again soon!!Salute

Posted: Oct 7, 2012 at 20:34 Quote
iffoverload wrote:
Sounds like an upgrade... Big Grin hope to see you on the bike again soon!!Salute

I guess it is an upgrade, i'll be almost bionic! My operation is in 6 hours. Just a little bit scared right now.

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 at 21:46 Quote
Head over to MTBR.. they have a pretty good "broken riders" forum and I am sure you will find someone who has had something similar over there..

Good luck and heal up fast..

Happy Trails..

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 4:35 Quote
I ended up with 2 plastic discs and 4 titanium plates that look like split chain links. No "real" riding for at least 2 months and a huge insurance bill.
I think a leatt brace is going to be needed from now on too.

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 5:42 Quote
Eek

heal up well and fast Salute

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 9:25 Quote
[Qunidgeslash9"]I ended up with 2 plastic discs and 4 titanium plates that look like split chain links. No "real" riding for at least 2 months and a huge insurance bill.
I think a leatt brace is going to be needed from now on too.[/Quote]

I can't ride with a full face and not wear my leatt. I have gotten so used to it that I feel exposed if I don't have it on. I bought mine back when they were like 400 and I still think it was a great investment. I have had 3 crashes that could have been ugly if I am hadnt mine on.

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 at 11:17 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
I ended up with 2 plastic discs and 4 titanium plates that look like split chain links. No "real" riding for at least 2 months and a huge insurance bill.
I think a leatt brace is going to be needed from now on too.

you got lucky , my old riding partner was told by his doctor that he had to give up the sport as one more decent crash and he could be paralyzed from mid chest down , he was gutted with that news . he,s had 4 or 5 back and neck procedures done over the yrs , the 1st couple where in his lower back just above the tail bone and the last few where in his neck area , not sure what discs but they went in thru the throat close to the collar bone .

take you time recovering you,ve been given a 2nd chance with the ability to continue riding , and yes definitely invest in a some proper equipment such as a Leatt brace and good body armor , i,m wishing i had both last week when i crashed i got lucky and ended up with only some badly bruised ribs and pectoral muscle after going over the bars onto some roots .

Posted: Oct 20, 2012 at 20:17 Quote
I managed a 20 km ride on flat dirt roads yesterday. When I finished it felt like I had completed an enduro race. But now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel Smile

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 at 22:10 Quote
I missed my first ever DH race last weekend but got a get well message from Steve Peat as a consolation. Pretty cuffed with that. Smile
Get well soon shirt from Steve peat

Posted: Nov 2, 2012 at 22:32 Quote
You will be right. Broke mine 12 years ago today. Broke atlas into 3 pieces fractured c2 and c3 and base of my skull. I had 5 months off work and did take a year of riding. I didn't even want to ride at that time. Since the accident i have raced bmx, 4x, dh and enduro on the dirt bike. Even raced my first xc in over 12 years last weekend. I. Think it depends a lot on how bad you want to ride. The only things I really suffer from are reduced movement and occasional migraines.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016413
Mobile Version of Website