The Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO thread

PB Forum :: Specialized
The Specialized Stumpjumper FSR EVO thread
O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2016 at 12:34 Quote
Greetings all. I have a 2014 Stumpjumper Alloy 29er with a 130mm Revelation and a Fox Float. I'm considering some upgrades. I'd likely put a Monarch Plus on the back but for the front has anyone put a 150mm Pike on this model?

It's a NON EVO model but since this thread is active I thought I would post here. The turns are earned on this bike and I'm curious as to how raising the suspension by 2 cm's would effect handling. My other bike is a full-tilt Enduro Carbon 650b so used to a slack headangle. My theory is that it would be nice to raise the BB and slacken things out. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 19, 2016 at 19:38 Quote
ajh4446 wrote:
craig8two wrote:
ajh4446 wrote:
Hi Guys. Just re-cabled my INTERNALLY routed seatpost on my 2013 Stumpjumper Evo Carbon and noted all these external cables. Why? Its a really easy fix to a design flaw that shouldn't have been allowed originally and thought this group might be interested to see. Old photo but you can get the idea

Internally routed Thomson covert seatpost on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo Carbon 26

Thats really awesome, did you just drill a hole?

Yes and no. The hole is the lowest cable guide mount with the bolt removed, so already there. I did however get rid of the threads for a bit of extra clearance and to stop snagging then a bit of ingenuity.

Got a hoover (other home suction cleaning devices are available) and placed that at the seatpost end, with some string through the bolt hole. Threaded that through and out it pops, tied that to the cable and reversed the process, attaching the seatpost as you pull through.

Done. Without the hoover it can be an all day job with many swearwords and bloody fingers. With the hoover, 10 min job max.

Genius move, now I will get an IR dropper for my 2010 enduro comp. Kudos man. Just smart pulling that screw.

Posted: Jul 19, 2016 at 19:43 Quote
angel13 wrote:
Granto405 wrote:
It's the evo, that was the shock i was looking at, i assume i go with the 195 x 46 (going by what chain reaction say and a couple other shops). I did have a look at the bike yoke kit which makes it bit harder to chose now since i can get a wider choice of shocks.

195x46 is right. I was looking at a newer model before with the 195x51.

The bikeyoke would certainly give you a wider option.

Problem iunno about stumpjumper but enduro yoke makes a loss of .4 inches of travel... not alot, but is only.1 off 1/2 inch.

Posted: Aug 27, 2016 at 18:15 Quote
My 2014 stumpy with two upgrades: monarch plus debonair and rockshox pike 150mm. Even better bike now!!
My 2014 stumpy with two upgrades monarch plus debonair and rockshox pike 150mm. Even better bike now

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 16:27 Quote
photo

2014 Stumpjumper Comp Evo 29 (bare metalled with just a head tube badge)
Fox Factory 34 150mm
Fox Factory CTD (mojo custom tune to ramp up, pre evol can)
Hope pro3 on stans flows
Hope E4 brakes with floating rotors
Race Face Atlas 50mm stem and flat bar
XT 11speed drivetrain
Hope cranks and 30t direct mount ring
MRP AMG
KS LEV post
Charge Knife saddle
Maxxis Shorty F Maxxis High Roller 2 R
Shimano DX SPS's

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 14:01 Quote
This is revving an older thread but. Because of this thread I bought a 150mm pike and a 2016 monarch plus autosag (i wanted the db but that can be changed) anyways. It has worked great until yesterday, it has developed a strange clunk at the first 1/4 of the stroke. Only on open setting. It goes away on pedal or lock.

Has the happened to anyone else ?

I mean the shock maybe has 15 hrs of ride time on it

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 at 2:35 Quote
Swizbee42 wrote:
This is revving an older thread but. Because of this thread I bought a 150mm pike and a 2016 monarch plus autosag (i wanted the db but that can be changed) anyways. It has worked great until yesterday, it has developed a strange clunk at the first 1/4 of the stroke. Only on open setting. It goes away on pedal or lock.

I'd take it straight back to where i bought it from, that can't be good, better make use of the warranty while you can.

Posted: Oct 23, 2016 at 20:37 Quote
Swizbee42 wrote:

DB doesn't fit but. Dvo Topaz does.... Drive home to find out if they make one with a Clevis or a bike yoke is needed.... Does anyone have an idea what the best way to go for rear shock for 230lbs man for a rear shock... Bike has a monarch debonair at the moment and seem to have to put the pressure too high.... Ie over 300psi.... wondering if putting the old Ste air can or back to a ctd... But that seeMy to be going backwards... It is a 2012 stumpjumper evo carbon. Thanks

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 14:50 Quote
@stinkbat the Monarch+ does seem to need high pressure, but if you're not unhappy with the performance why not stick to it..

photo

This then is my faithful one. Parts are:

Rock Shox Lyrik RC2DH
Rock Shox Monarch+ RCT3
Drivetrain sram X0 (except front derailleur)
Shimano Saint Brakes 203/180
Pacenti DL28 rims (23mm inner width) on switch evo hubs 1700g
Maxxis Minion 42a 2.5 up front, 60a 2.5 in the rear
45 stem Superstar Components
Truvativ Boobar 780/30

Newest addition are Saint brakes which sort of completes my project. Thinking of selling it and maybe switching to an Enduro..

Posted: Nov 5, 2016 at 19:50 Quote
Just love my '16 Stunt Jumper.. Had to do a few changes already. Didn't want it to look like anyone else!!
rocky ridge York PA

Protaper bars
50mm Renthal stem
Jagwire cables
Hope seat clamp
ODI grips
1x Race Face Turbine cranks
32t chain ring
X9 med cage rear derailleur(do to the fact I ripped the org off)
Upgraded dropper remote
--Wheels, 11x, Zee brakes to come..

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 20:35 Quote
DB doesn't fit but. Dvo Topaz does.... Drive home to find out if they make one with a Clevis or a bike yoke is needed.... Does anyone have an idea what the best way to go for rear shock for 230lbs man for a rear shock... Bike has a monarch debonair at the moment and seem to have to put the pressure too high.... Ie over 300psi.... wondering if putting the old Ste air can or back to a ctd... But that seeMy to be going backwards... It is a 2012 stumpjumper evo carbon. Thanks[/Quote]

I'll share my thoughts on this.....

I ride a 2014 Evo Expert Carbon 29er that came with a Fox Float CTD Factory shock, with the auto sag feature. I weigh 140lbs and with the stock Fox air sleeve I ran the base pressure at about 155psi, and didn't use the auto sag (It was way too soft if I did use it). I still had problems with bottoming out and crappy mid stroke wallow, while loosing small bump compliance (not much sag either). I rode it that way for a season.
I then read about, and ordered a Vorsprung Corset air sleeve. This has much more air volume than the Fox sleeve, and after playing with settings for another season, I've settled at 250psi base pressure. It's design has kept 25% sag, awesome small bump compliance, mid stroke support and great bottom out resistance.

So what I've learnt from this is:
The air piston has a fixed amount of surface area, that does not change with different volume air sleeves.
This means that depending on a person's weight, and bike's suspension linkage leverage, it will always take 'X' amount of peak air pressure (shock fully compressed) to resist bottoming. That number may be way up over 500 psi for me, I have no way of measuring it.
Therefore a small volume air sleeve at 155psi fully compressed, must have the same peak pressure as a large volume air sleeve fully compressed, to have the same bottom out resistance. This is because the surface area of the air piston that all this pressure is acting on, has not changed.
The difference between the two air sleeve designs and volumes, will change the mid stoke support too. The small volume 155psi sleeve at mid stroke may have risen to 300psi, while the large volume 250psi sleeve at mid stroke may have risen to 350psi.
Depending on your air sleeve design, you may have to add volume reducing spacers to obtain the needed peak pressure to resist bottoming out, while allowing you to have low enough base pressure to obtain sag and small bump compliance. Mid stroke probably won't improve.

Here's a link that explains it properly.
https://vorsprung-suspension.myshopify.com/blogs/news/17163160-vorsprung-corset-air-sleeves-the-how-and-the-why

I hope this helps Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 21:26 Quote
Here's mine...
photo
2014 Evo Expert Carbon 29er medium
Changes from stock:
30t chain ring down from 32t
Specialized mini top chain guide
Giant 125mm dropper post with Specialized dropper lever on left, modified cable
203mm front rotor, 180mm rear rotor
45mm cheap stem
NOBL TR33 carbon rims, Hope Pro4 hubs, DT spokes
Vorsprung Corset air sleeve
4 volume spacers in the Pike fork, up from 0

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 11:49 Quote
CanmoreAussie wrote:
DB doesn't fit but. Dvo Topaz does.... Drive home to find out if they make one with a Clevis or a bike yoke is needed.... Does anyone have an idea what the best way to go for rear shock for 230lbs man for a rear shock... Bike has a monarch debonair at the moment and seem to have to put the pressure too high.... Ie over 300psi.... wondering if putting the old Ste air can or back to a ctd... But that seeMy to be going backwards... It is a 2012 stumpjumper evo carbon. Thanks

I'll share my thoughts on this.....

I ride a 2014 Evo Expert Carbon 29er that came with a Fox Float CTD Factory shock, with the auto sag feature. I weigh 140lbs and with the stock Fox air sleeve I ran the base pressure at about 155psi, and didn't use the auto sag (It was way too soft if I did use it). I still had problems with bottoming out and crappy mid stroke wallow, while loosing small bump compliance (not much sag either). I rode it that way for a season.
I then read about, and ordered a Vorsprung Corset air sleeve. This has much more air volume than the Fox sleeve, and after playing with settings for another season, I've settled at 250psi base pressure. It's design has kept 25% sag, awesome small bump compliance, mid stroke support and great bottom out resistance.

So what I've learnt from this is:
The air piston has a fixed amount of surface area, that does not change with different volume air sleeves.
This means that depending on a person's weight, and bike's suspension linkage leverage, it will always take 'X' amount of peak air pressure (shock fully compressed) to resist bottoming. That number may be way up over 500 psi for me, I have no way of measuring it.
Therefore a small volume air sleeve at 155psi fully compressed, must have the same peak pressure as a large volume air sleeve fully compressed, to have the same bottom out resistance. This is because the surface area of the air piston that all this pressure is acting on, has not changed.
The difference between the two air sleeve designs and volumes, will change the mid stoke support too. The small volume 155psi sleeve at mid stroke may have risen to 300psi, while the large volume 250psi sleeve at mid stroke may have risen to 350psi.
Depending on your air sleeve design, you may have to add volume reducing spacers to obtain the needed peak pressure to resist bottoming out, while allowing you to have low enough base pressure to obtain sag and small bump compliance. Mid stroke probably won't improve.

Here's a link that explains it properly.
https://vorsprung-suspension.myshopify.com/blogs/news/17163160-vorsprung-corset-air-sleeves-the-how-and-the-why

I hope this helps Smile [/Quote]

Im around 210lbs and I have a 2013 Stupmy and had the CTD which was ok. The corset sleeve helped a lot for the small bump sensitivity. As for pressure I had to run 300PSI in he corset, but Vorsprung told me that they test the sleeves to 350psi without any issues. All of that being said, I switched to DVO Topaz and OMG! This shock is sooooooo goood. I have 3 volume spacers in it and its just brilliant.

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2016 at 21:39 Quote
[
Im around 210lbs and I have a 2013 Stupmy and had the CTD which was ok. The corset sleeve helped a lot for the small bump sensitivity. As for pressure I had to run 300PSI in he corset, but Vorsprung told me that they test the sleeves to 350psi without any issues. All of that being said, I switched to DVO Topaz and OMG! This shock is sooooooo goood. I have 3 volume spacers in it and its just brilliant.[/Quote]

Yep, that's my experience with the Corset too. Good to know the DVO works so well, I'll keep that in mind!
Timing is everything.....VorsprungSuspension has just uploaded a video here that explains things really well.

Views: 13,550    Faves: 82    Comments: 7

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 3:03 Quote
Dont suppose anyone has a spare shock yoke/clavicle going spare to fit a 2013 model Stumpy Evo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023293
Mobile Version of Website