SNOWBOARDERS, general discussion

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
SNOWBOARDERS, general discussion
O+
Posted: Dec 26, 2015 at 20:47 Quote
[Quote="obee1"]
onemanarmy wrote:
That's bitchin dude. Better dad than me. My 5 year old hasn't had a legit lesson yet.

Don't sweat it. When the time is right, it's the right time.
We look out the window and see the Rockies every day, and we both have lots of holiday time. So we are lucky. Very.
In truth, I'm guilty of starting my kids too early in biking and skiing. My son was on the hill at 3, and hated it. Scared shitless, and I spent much cash on bunny hill lessons that taught him nothing more then how to make snow angels. Parenting. Nothing like they said it would be like, and no functional templates to work from.

My wife is starting snowboarding at 27 and she is scared shitless on the bunny hill. Doesn't matter what age they start! Lol. You're an awesome dad. I wish my dad supported me when I was younger like you do.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 2:13 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Thunder_Chunk/20151226_204012_zpswehkw2eq.jpg
My new bindings. Salomon quantum. My ride CAD bindings were still tearing up my boots. Couldn't figure out why so I just bought new bindings. About time anyways. My rides were 7 years old and beat up. I was deciding between these and Rome Katana but went with salomon for the shadow fit technology. So damn comfy and almost as stiff as my heavy ride aluminum bindings. The heel cup is soft and moldable but when strapped in it becomes rigid and conforms to the boot. Can't wait try them out tomorrow. It feels like a downgrade though. My ride bindings had better tech and more adjustability. Better quality too.

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 18:03 Quote
Any opinions on goggles? I'm between the electric eg3, vonzipper jetpack, oakley flight decks, or spy bravo's.

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 19:10 Quote
skunkape wrote:
Any opinions on goggles? I'm between the electric eg3, vonzipper jetpack, oakley flight decks, or spy bravo's.
why not anon?

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 19:28 Quote
I tried the Bravo's and flight deck's. Both are nice. I prefer the Doom's over the Bravo's just due to their bigger size. I like the design of the flight deck a bit better than the Doom and Bravo. I considered buying the flight deck with prize rose lens but I found it to not be any better for visibility compared to the yellow lens for my Doom's.

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 19:29 Quote
The MIG would be a decent amount more due to sales pricing (only 20% off, the rest are 40%) and I just didn't like them as much. I am pretty sure on the vz, I like them best aesthetically and they are the cheapest.

edit- I don't remember seeing the doom at either store I was at for some reason. Oakley's are currently at the bottom of the list because I don't like that you don't have an extra lense and they're $40 more than the spy's/vz

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 20:50 Quote
skunkape wrote:

Giro onset or contact.

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 20:54 Quote
What's the best place to get lenses for onsets? They seem hard to find.

Posted: Dec 28, 2015 at 10:45 Quote
http://www.giro.com/us_en/snow/accessories/replacement-goggle-lenses/onset-replacement-lens.html

Posted: Dec 28, 2015 at 18:20 Quote
My wife is starting snowboarding at 27 and she is scared shitless on the bunny hill. Doesn't matter what age they start! Lol. You're an awesome dad. I wish my dad supported me when I was younger like you do.[/Quote]

kind words, and cheers to it. but its only sensible to my wife and i that we immerse our kids in the sports we love. speaking of which, we're just back from a few days of riding fernie. the snow was falling, the stoke was rising, and my kids were having a hoot. gotta love when the kidlets want to finish their hot chocolate so they can get back on the hill- at five years old.
fwiw i rode my splitboard the entire time and it really performs flawlessly. mind you, the snow was deep and awesome, so i could have been riding a coupla hockey sticks taped together and woulda been "pig in shit" happy.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2015 at 23:20 Quote
obee1 wrote:
My wife is starting snowboarding at 27 and she is scared shitless on the bunny hill. Doesn't matter what age they start! Lol. You're an awesome dad. I wish my dad supported me when I was younger like you do.

kind words, and cheers to it. but its only sensible to my wife and i that we immerse our kids in the sports we love. speaking of which, we're just back from a few days of riding fernie. the snow was falling, the stoke was rising, and my kids were having a hoot. gotta love when the kidlets want to finish their hot chocolate so they can get back on the hill- at five years old.
fwiw i rode my splitboard the entire time and it really performs flawlessly. mind you, the snow was deep and awesome, so i could have been riding a coupla hockey sticks taped together and woulda been "pig in shit" happy.[/Quote]

Good to hear the family had fun! That's great your kids are enjoying themselves. I went up to cypress and seymour on the weekend. Snow was pretty amazing out here in vancouver as well. Nice dry powder. 65 cm in one day. My new salomon quantum bindings are unbelievable. Super soft, flexible and comfortable but have the same responsiveness as my old ride aluminum bindings. My riding improved right away. I also decided it's now time to replace my 12 year old elan board. I just ordered a K2 carve air. Pretty excited for it to arrive.

Do any of you use biking goggles for snowboarding? I'm having a hard time finding a clear lens for my goggles or any clear goggles. Thought about using my downhill goggles instead. I do a lot of night riding. Not sure if they would fog up.

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 7:27 Quote
What do you need clear for? You can find them but the only time I've ever really seen a purpose for them is if you were prescription glasses. My dad will wear his glasses under his goggles and he uses goggles with fans in them to keep everything clear.

You might be better off just buying a new goggle set up with a clear lens? Or just ordering a lens for your goggles direct from whoever makes them. They pretty much all offer replacement parts. Worst case scenario... call them. But I'd bet you can find the information on their website or on-line help chat or something like that. I found replacement lenses for a few different ones spending literally 15 seconds looking.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 8:28 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
What do you need clear for? You can find them but the only time I've ever really seen a purpose for them is if you were prescription glasses. My dad will wear his glasses under his goggles and he uses goggles with fans in them to keep everything clear.

You might be better off just buying a new goggle set up with a clear lens? Or just ordering a lens for your goggles direct from whoever makes them. They pretty much all offer replacement parts. Worst case scenario... call them. But I'd bet you can find the information on their website or on-line help chat or something like that. I found replacement lenses for a few different ones spending literally 15 seconds looking.

I like clear for riding at night. I have yellow lenses but they are scratched to shit. My amber lenses are too dark. I have is eyewear goggles. I have no idea if they are out of business. No web site anymore and I tried to contact them but no luck. No one seems to carry yellow or clear goggles.

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 10:35 Quote
Oh man that sucks. Yeah I can see wanting clear in that case. I haven't ridden at night in quite a while. I do have a pair of clear goggles but they're just sitting there unused. LOL! I have 2 actually. One for MTB.

Yeah I doubt you're gonna find lenses for those. I'd just get another pair.

Most companies offer yellow or clear options on most of their goggles. A lot of shops don't carry them because they don't sell very many but buying direct you can have your pick of the litter.

You may have to just buy yourself a new set up and special order the clear lens. Have a 2 lens set up.

This is a mid-range goggle. I have a pair of the larger ones... the BLOK. I like them a lot. I run them for my low light set up.
http://www.giro.com/us_en/snow/mens/goggles/semi.html

Here's clear lenses
http://www.giro.com/us_en/snow/accessories/replacement-goggle-lenses/semi-replacement-lens.html

You could order both for like $85. That's less than a pair of BLOK's with one lens and it's a super solid goggle.

Or just pony up for the contact. They come with 2 lenses that pop on/off super easy and you can get a clear one. You'd have one pair of goggles for low light, no light, sun light. It's probably the set up I'll be in by the end of the season.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2016 at 14:50 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Oh man that sucks. Yeah I can see wanting clear in that case. I haven't ridden at night in quite a while. I do have a pair of clear goggles but they're just sitting there unused. LOL! I have 2 actually. One for MTB.

Yeah I doubt you're gonna find lenses for those. I'd just get another pair.

Most companies offer yellow or clear options on most of their goggles. A lot of shops don't carry them because they don't sell very many but buying direct you can have your pick of the litter.

You may have to just buy yourself a new set up and special order the clear lens. Have a 2 lens set up.

This is a mid-range goggle. I have a pair of the larger ones... the BLOK. I like them a lot. I run them for my low light set up.
http://www.giro.com/us_en/snow/mens/goggles/semi.html

Here's clear lenses
http://www.giro.com/us_en/snow/accessories/replacement-goggle-lenses/semi-replacement-lens.html

You could order both for like $85. That's less than a pair of BLOK's with one lens and it's a super solid goggle.

Or just pony up for the contact. They come with 2 lenses that pop on/off super easy and you can get a clear one. You'd have one pair of goggles for low light, no light, sun light. It's probably the set up I'll be in by the end of the season.

Thanks for the info. I went to check out a few shops yesterday looking for the giro goggles. No one has them. But after about 3 hours of searching I ended up buying a pair of smith IOS goggles. Came with a dark lens and clearish yellow lens for night riding. I spent more than I wanted to but it seems worth it for quality goggles. I didn't realize until I got home that they are women's goggles lol. But oh well. They fit perfectly with my helmet and the only difference between them and the mens IO goggles is that they are slightly smaller. I saw a pair of smith recon goggles. Unbelievable! But for $600 no thanks.

Anyone ride a lib tech board? I was checking them out and they have a pretty odd design. The side cut is wavy with a camber/flat base. Never seen anything like it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023635
Mobile Version of Website