40 and over mountain bikers.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
40 and over mountain bikers.
Posted: May 19, 2015 at 23:07 Quote
ajjrsons wrote:
Best thing I've done is dragged my boys into mtb. We have 3 nice bikes now and go at least every other weekend. 52, 21 and 17yrs old. They are almost catching me in skills. So cool!
I started my oldest son ridin/racing mtb at 11 and at 16 he was faster than me at DH. My youngest daughter started riding/racing mtb at 13. They are 25 & 21 now and have their own things going on, but those years when we rode together were priceless.

Posted: May 20, 2015 at 6:56 Quote
ajjrsons wrote:
Best thing I've done is dragged my boys into mtb. We have 3 nice bikes now and go at least every other weekend. 52, 21 and 17yrs old. They are almost catching me in skills. So cool!

That's awesome!

My daughter is 11 and I am working on getting her out on the trails too! She's already set her sites on Mommy's bike (that doesnt' get ridden much anymore)!

Posted: May 20, 2015 at 7:25 Quote
ajjrsons wrote:

Yep, very cool.

I'm 45 and my little guys are 8 and 10. We've been riding light xc trails the last couple years.

Took them to crankworx last summer for their first taste of proper DH (I was fortunate to grow up on the North Shore). I may have created a "monster", but loving every minute of it.

I'm still faster, but that won't last long. :-)

Posted: May 20, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
NolanD wrote:
ajjrsons wrote:

Yep, very cool.

I'm 45 and my little guys are 8 and 10. We've been riding light xc trails the last couple years.

Took them to crankworx last summer for their first taste of proper DH (I was fortunate to grow up on the North Shore). I may have created a "monster", but loving every minute of it.

I'm still faster, but that won't last long. :-)
Yup, that faster thing won't last long, about the time he hits 16 or so.
Speaking of creating a monster, my son scares the daylights out of me these days with the tricks and how big he can go now, DAMN!

Posted: May 21, 2015 at 4:53 Quote
I've got 3 girls (7 / 9 / 12) to show off to, all progressing well, just need to get the boy (4) of his damn balance bike and onto his new BMX then we can get some more adventurous riding in.

Makes me remember my first BMX ....a 'Simon' bike won on a raffle, then when it was trashed onto a Raleigh mag burner - unbreakable and made of gold.

Posted: May 21, 2015 at 5:17 Quote
I'm 48 and my son is 9 and have been taking him to our Pleasanton bike park on his BMX bike, dirt jumps and a nice little pump track. Now I'm looking at a 24" mountain bike for him. Just got to talk the wife into it.

Posted: May 21, 2015 at 20:40 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
I'm 48 and my son is 9 and have been taking him to our Pleasanton bike park on his BMX bike, dirt jumps and a nice little pump track. Now I'm looking at a 24" mountain bike for him. Just got to talk the wife into it.
at 9 I would just pull the trigger on a 26" kids bike. Trek just made a sweet one then all the stuff can move into a larger frame when needed.

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 23:06 Quote
I am 56 , ride most weekends . Mostly XC STUFF with the odd trail centre thrown in . Just wondering is there anybody out there local ish , around my age , who would like to meet up for a ride , I ride LLANDEGLA , macc forest , horse shoe pass , Marin , Penmachno , I do like to push it sometimes

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 21:27 Quote
Has anyone had a hip replacement or no a rider who had one. I am 3 months post surgery and my Dr cleared me to ride on even surfaces not not on trails, at least yet. I can't find much info on what I can expect. I used to ride about 50 miles a week on mostly intermediate and Simi advanced trails. I would like to hear from and share experiences with someone who has been down that path.

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 17:39 Quote
Assuming you all have kids, you'll appreciate this...

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 13:10 Quote
So this is my buddy after today's ride....
He hasn't been out as much as he should.
I'm 42, he's 47.
He hates me....lol lol

Annihilated
[PI= size=l0 align=c][/PI]
Destroyed

He almost needed to be carried out.
Some lunch and 2 beers later, and he was fine.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 11:48 Quote
fredro wrote:
So this is my buddy after today's ride....
He hasn't been out as much as he should.
I'm 42, he's 47.
He hates me....lol lol

Annihilated
[PI= size=l0 align=c][/PI]
Destroyed

He almost needed to be carried out.
Some lunch and 2 beers later, and he was fine.

I can relate!! back in May of this year when I decided to get back into mtb and get back in shape, I litterally passed out on my first ride ~ 3 miles in, I was on the edge anyway fitness wise but I had a bad pedal strike on my knee and that sent me over the edge to euphoria for 30 seconds ROFL! I have been eating right and training ever since that day! I'm 46 so I know what your buddy is feeling for sure!!

So far, since May 3rd of this year I have lost 32 lbs. and gotten in pretty decent shape. The weight loss has been great but I have been eating a real strict clean diet and haven't let up!

ride on!

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 6:28 Quote
Lifes a bitch, just turned 40! Im in the club now!
I love charging it with my 7yr old son.
Been taking a MTB trip to Ellijay GA for the last 5yrs, .....and this Oct. we are adding a day at Bailey MT. So at 40, finnaly getting to try some real gravity riding. Im so freaking stoked!

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 10:17 Quote
jason475 wrote:
Been taking a MTB trip to Ellijay GA for the last 5yrs, .....and this Oct. we are adding a day at Bailey MT. So at 40, finnaly getting to try some real gravity riding. Im so freaking stoked!

awesome!! enjoy!

my daugher is 11 and I have been bringing her now that she is capable, nothing better than passing it on to the next generation!

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 13:40 Quote
jason475 wrote:

That's awesome mate. Im 43 and just got my first DH rig - Whistler only an hour away!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017083
Mobile Version of Website