40 and over mountain bikers.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
40 and over mountain bikers.
Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 10:43 Quote
bigredride wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Bummin, lower back is not happy this year.. PT.. chiropractor. . Still not coming around..

Check out YouTUbe - "Foundation Training". It has saved my low back - gone from chiro 4x/month to twice in last 6 months! Big help.

I will thank you..

I was doing really good, wasnt going to the chiropractor nearly as much as I had been. I had surgery back in the fall that kept me from skiing the first half of winter, I think I made up for most of it and then spring hit.. couple of rides and it all goes to shit..

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 10:44 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
Too much sitting and the lost hip hinge/weak posterior chain....

This is quite likely, see the above reply..

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 10:53 Quote
USMC wrote:
boneybradley wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Bummin, lower back is not happy this year.. PT.. chiropractor. . Still not coming around..

Same as what fredro said from me, were not as flexible as we used to be! (I sound like a true old man saying things like that!!)
I've had 10+ years away from mountain bikes and I am taking it steady building back up to a decent fitness level and apart from a few aches (mainly from a frozen shoulder I've had for a few years!) all is going well and I've now got a new riding buddy who's a few years ahead of me in the 40's range although I'm sure she wont like me saying that!!
do stuff off the bike to help with the bike. Do exercises that work your stabilization muscles. Movements that make challenge your balance. Instead of just doing a bicep curl do it standing on one leg. Switch every other rep. Weights don't need to heavy. Light weight with lots of reps increases muscle endurance. I also do plyometrics and medicine ball throws. It increase power delivery. Changes in work off the bike help greatly. Burpees as much as they suck work great for over building. Strengthen you core muscles to help with the lower back pain. Like said the muscles are weakened in that area.what do you mean frozen shoulders?

Im working on all (some) of.that now, the problem is is everything is moving and im bone sore, if that makes sense, the muscles don't hurt as much but its feeling like bone on bone at times

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 10:55 Quote
yogegoy wrote:
I use this to help out straighten my back, use it for 10mins twice a week.

photo

Tried one for a while, borrowed it from my chiropractor in fact.. pulled my ankles apart to the point I couldn't relax enough to gain any benifit, and I was hardly at a 45° angle..

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 10:57 Quote
Sorry guys don't know how to multi-quote here..

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 12:15 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Sorry guys don't know how to multi-quote here..
Then it wasn't set up to your liking (height), the first day this thing arrived at my door it took me at least 5 tries till it hit the sweet spot. Every time I use it after a minute, I would hear my spine snap straight to the correct position and I would feel a sensation which is indescribable. This is similar to someone carrying you from behind and snapping your spine, this does it naturally with no one helping you. If you live in the US they have a 4 part payment plan making it your own. I'm never parting ways with this machine, it simply works for me.

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 16:07 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
inverted180 wrote:

are you referring to foudation training? I actually bought his "workout" and he is got the right idea. For me though its too basic, but my lower back was never in that bad of shape. I much prefer some vinyasa/power yoga. Look up Eoin Finn. That shit will keep you young. I still tie it in with traditional workouts.

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 18:15 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
inverted180 wrote:

are you referring to foudation training? I actually bought his "workout" and he is got the right idea. For me though its too basic, but my lower back was never in that bad of shape. I much prefer some vinyasa/power yoga. Look up Eoin Finn. That shit will keep you young. I still tie it in with traditional workouts.

No I was referring to sitting around too much and losing hip hinge/posterior chain thing..

But its all relevant, thank you

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 20:03 Quote
Today's romp in the woods. Small roller to small drop. (Small, but very technical)

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 23:41 Quote
gearhead69 wrote:
Just thought it would be nice to have a spot that us seasoned (old guys) could talk about bikes and training ideas.

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 1:22 Quote
Hello fellow 40+ers

quick question- I used to ride with no gloves and skinny grips now because of age and injuries I ride with thick cushioned grips and cushioned gloves (downhill). Just wondering how other people have changed how they ride?

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 1:38 Quote
I drive with a set riding gloves since 19 yrs old, it separates the gunk from your palms, anything involving motion except sex always calls for gloves.

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 2:29 Quote
Just turned 40 Frown

Riding with gloves since the first day : I was 16 yo.

I like my gloves with a thin palm, not too much padding. I usually sport XC gloves for DH purposes.

Ride safe fellows 40+ers!

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 4:21 Quote
i never used them much until the last two or three years(41 now).....took a heap of skin off had time off work...not good

grips i used fairly thin grips but i found the fat lizard skin grips to be my preference these days....lots of years of welding and motorcycling have taken there toll.

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 at 8:32 Quote
Tribute Drop
photo
photo

R.I.P. Stevie!!!

Race Run. New Chainsaw Sign.

Action shots...

Flight Deck Drop
Flight Deck Drop
Tribute Drop
Tribute Trail
Crazy Horse Trail

R.I.P. Ali. Greatest of ALL TIME!

1972 Muhammad Ali during training for his fight with Al Blue Lewis held in Dublin Republic of Ireland in 1972. Photo by Getty Images
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024134
Mobile Version of Website