Mavic EX721 vs EX729 - Cornering

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mavic EX721 vs EX729 - Cornering
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 10, 2012 at 20:01 Quote
I just bought myself a 2013 Status II and am going to put a new wheel set on it.

Can someone break down for me the pros and cons of a wider rim versus the 721? Wider rims will be more "stable" and more durable...but how do the two compare when it comes to cornering?

Wider makes for a squarer tire profile, while skinnier makes for a rounder tire.....how does this effect cornering and handling?

I have a 729 Front already on a different bike (which I would move to my status if I decide to buy a 729 rear). That's the only reason why I am trying to understand whether I am doing myself a disservice by running 729s? If I was starting from scratch I would probably just buy the 721's as they seem to be the more popular choice (I know...blindly following the masses).

I ride aggressively on all FR/DH trails (telonics/five oaks/car wreck/silver surfer/mentally sensitive for those who know Aliso Woods in Laguna Beach, CA)

I am 6'3 180lbs (without gear).

Posted: Dec 11, 2012 at 10:06 Quote
nvranka wrote:
I just bought myself a 2013 Status II and am going to put a new wheel set on it.

Can someone break down for me the pros and cons of a wider rim versus the 721? Wider rims will be more "stable" and more durable...but how do the two compare when it comes to cornering?

Wider makes for a squarer tire profile, while skinnier makes for a rounder tire.....how does this effect cornering and handling?

I have a 729 Front already on a different bike (which I would move to my status if I decide to buy a 729 rear). That's the only reason why I am trying to understand whether I am doing myself a disservice by running 729s? If I was starting from scratch I would probably just buy the 721's as they seem to be the more popular choice (I know...blindly following the masses).

I ride aggressively on all FR/DH trails (telonics/five oaks/car wreck/silver surfer/mentally sensitive for those who know Aliso Woods in Laguna Beach, CA)

I am 6'3 180lbs (without gear).

A wider rim will give you a bigger contact with the ground improving grip.

Whether it's noticable or not , not really sure but the benefit will be there.

Posted: Dec 11, 2012 at 12:31 Quote
I went from 6.1ds to 729s, and noticed an improvement in grip (particularly on the front) running the same 2.5 Minions.
I noticed an even bigger improvement in grip converting my 729s to tubeless (Stan's) and running 10+ psi less pressure. that dropped a noticeable amount of rotational mass and I had far more grip - especially off-camber rocks/roots in the rain. I obvs didn't roll as well, but the increase in control was more than worth it. I also stopped pinch-flatting entirely after converting to tubeless (haven't had a single flat on that wheelset in 3 years), even at super low pressures.

IMO, you should also look into 823s if you're going with 2 new rims. they're lighter than 729s, a bit wider than 721s, tubeless-capable, yet still quite strong.

Posted: Dec 11, 2012 at 16:47 Quote
Thanks for the input.

Are there any dissadvantages running 729's vs a narrower rim? Other than weight.

Posted: Dec 12, 2012 at 9:08 Quote
none that I can think of
with wider rims you'll have less sidewall flex while cornering, and you will be considerably less likely to pinch flat if you run tubes

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 6:37 Quote
Good thing with wider rims is that you are less likely to blow tyres off the rim at lower pressures when hitting hard turns

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011243
Mobile Version of Website