How to get your girlfriend to agree to your favorite sport?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
How to get your girlfriend to agree to your favorite sport?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 26, 2012 at 23:23 Quote
Not sure if this is the right board, didn't know where to put it. I'm so sorry.

I absolutely love biking, I live for it, and I would die for it. My girlfriend despises that last part. I have severely injured myself several times, but I have always made a full recovery. My girlfriend comes with me literally everywhere, which includes my training sessions at the jumps. Once I threw a huge tailwhip and she screamed so loud that I bailed. She just absolutely hates the fact that I'm willing to push myself to do bigger and harder things every day. How do I get her to cope with this?

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 20:44 Quote
to be honest man, i would let her know as little as possible...well thats what i do

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 11:37 Quote
skennedy29 wrote:
to be honest man, i would let her know as little as possible...well thats what i do

Yeah dude, some things are just better left in the dark.

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 at 9:09 Quote
Dude, you are 16, get rid of the girl or tell her to man up, you don't need some girlfriend being like that when you are 16.

My girlfriend is totally cool with my riding, when we started dating I told her straight up that I'm pretty much gone every single weekend to ride bikes and I get out at least twice a week for an evening ride, take it or leave it. She's not stoked on the injuries but she givese the "be careful" and thats it.

No sense living your life for a girl when you are 16, go ride your bike.

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 at 9:50 Quote
Lol yeah don't try and justify yourself to other people, plus you don't have to understand someone or their hobbies to like them. But people get used to seeing mountain biker life after a while I think

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 at 20:57 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Dude, you are 16, get rid of the girl or tell her to man up, you don't need some girlfriend being like that when you are 16.

My girlfriend is totally cool with my riding, when we started dating I told her straight up that I'm pretty much gone every single weekend to ride bikes and I get out at least twice a week for an evening ride, take it or leave it. She's not stoked on the injuries but she givese the "be careful" and thats it.

Hmm, I suppose that makes sense.

FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2013 at 5:05 Quote
durza11 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

Hmm, I suppose that makes sense.

It completely does - My wife hates the sport tbh but she stands by me no matter what as she understands its my passion. You just got to remember this is your one shot on this planet and you gotta be happy while your here and if riding and pushing yourself makes you be that then do it. Im 34 got a mortgage and a daughter and even though Im a little more careful now im still rippin it up and doin my first dh race in 3 weeks, tbh last year I pushed myself further than ever before hitting bigger gaps / drops and speeds and you know what? she stood by me and said just be as careful as you can be!! Thats the person you want mate - not someone who will turn you off your one thing you love. I know I have been that side also when I was your age, jsut enjoy it and hang with ya mates and the bikes for as long as you can because soon enough that job is gonna come along and take away from you all pretty much all your riding time and you will only be able to ride two - three times a week max bro!!! If she dont like it tell her to lump it

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 at 4:21 Quote
You are young, don't dump her because of that but don't stop riding because of her either. the fact she is going with you is supportive, man I don't know many girls who would even bother going to watch, unfortunately girls have that tendency to scream or get scared for guys more so when they like them. its just a girl thing.
Just tell her that it can put you off so if she can practice not screaming it would be safer, however at races there are people screaming and making tonnes of noise so maybe its some good distraction training for ya.

don't break up, don't stop riding.

does she disagree with your riding or is she just scared for you, there is a big difference.

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 at 4:54 Quote
I was biking a long time before i met my wife. I made it clear from the beginning about my passion with bikes and she started riding with me. Once she realised how hard/stupid i ride she gave up riding with me and now she just rides with her girlfriends. She doesn't like how i ride but supports me all the way. Even when i broke my neck last year she never once told me to stop riding. (Even if she fought about it).

If your girlfriend wants to stop you doing something you love so much what is she going to be like with anything else you enjoy but she doesn't like? Is she going to stop you doing that too? At your age you don't need that chain around your neck. You have your whole life ahead of you, don't throw away something you love for a girl like that.

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 at 9:28 Quote
Also don't forget that this probably wont be the gal you marry, as much as it may or may not seem like it now. I dated a girl for nearly 5 years starting in highschool, since then I've dated a few more and wound up with the amazing woman I'm with now.

So perhaps just dumping her is wrong, but step back and take a good look at the situation mate.

Posted: Jan 29, 2013 at 11:25 Quote
jonbikes wrote:

This.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 9:10 Quote
Mine is not too scared about the injuries, she just doesn't like how expensive the sport is and how i leave every weekend to ride my bike. Anyway, she just knows i will go ride my bike and there's nothing she can do about it so she complains from time to time but it's not too bad. She also complain about snowboard, she just complain about anything that drags me away from her...

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 9:16 Quote
Only way to fix that is with a new girlfriend. Nuff said.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 9:44 Quote
My husband fixed this by getting me into biking. Now we can take care of each other when injured. Your girl really likes you and doesn't want to see you hurt. This is a good thing. I hate seeing my husband in pain or all full of blood. But tell her you are tough and can handle it, no complaining (in front of her) or she will say "that is why I told you to stop, dummy." Girls will be impressed how macho you are. My husband teaching me how to bike was probably the best thing that happened to our relationship. It took some time and effort but we both share the same passion and pretty much spend a good portion of our time and money on it.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 10:03 Quote
When you go ride together do you keep together or just kind of do your own thing? Is there a large gap in skill level between you?

I'd love for my girlfriend to start riding however I fear that I would get frustrated going at her pace and it would frustrate her to know that I'm missing out on riding with the guys to hang back with her. She has no complaints with my riding habbits, but it would be cool if she could join in; just not sure how it would work out.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.171848
Mobile Version of Website