How to get your girlfriend to agree to your favorite sport?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
How to get your girlfriend to agree to your favorite sport?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 10:57 Quote
Before there was a large gap but he took time to teach me how to ride better. This is super important if you want her to ride well and fast someday. However, I always let him have his time with the guys. Like spend and hour with her and then an hour with the guys. I can't go as fast as him but I certainly do not tail behind very far and can ride many of the same trails. I stick to mostly blue trails for comfort (still learning) but I always let him get runs on the gnarly black trails with his guys. I just start drinking earlier! Plus, I think it makes him feel really good that he basically taught a girl to ride a DH bike.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 12:35 Quote
I personnally do not advise you to ride with your girlfriend. Especially if you're in dirt jumps or DH. For me, it's a good way to enjoy our sports and push my self with a bunch of buddies. It's like going to the bar, i like it with my mates, not with my gf. My girlfriend have no place with me in a trail, even if she could follow us, wich she couldn't in anyway.

One of my friends tried it, huge mistake... He was always waiting on her and no one wanted to go ride with him when his girlfriend was there. She also hated it so they sold the bike back and tried road bike together, didn't work either for them...

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 16:56 Quote
This is what I'm afraid of, my slow gear is still faster than wide open for a lot of people and I don't see anyone having a super awesome time.

I mainly ride dh however I picked up a trail bike and feel it's worth a shot getting her out for some easy trail rides.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 20:39 Quote
nicojryan wrote:
Before there was a large gap but he took time to teach me how to ride better. This is super important if you want her to ride well and fast someday. However, I always let him have his time with the guys. Like spend and hour with her and then an hour with the guys. I can't go as fast as him but I certainly do not tail behind very far and can ride many of the same trails. I stick to mostly blue trails for comfort (still learning) but I always let him get runs on the gnarly black trails with his guys. I just start drinking earlier! Plus, I think it makes him feel really good that he basically taught a girl to ride a DH bike.

bottle that S#%T

Posted: Jun 25, 2013 at 15:36 Quote
DO take her biking, but get her a beach cruiser and pick a day of the week to take her riding on some very easy trails. I did this for my wife and now she looks forward to cruise night, and wishes me lots of fun when I head out with the guys after work - no more b!tching about the bruises I come home with. I would stop taking her to your practice sessions as it is very clear she is extremely uncomfortable watching you - try to find a happy medium somewhere.

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 10:33 Quote
Tell your [wife/family/boss] to look at the emergency room statistics for people who fall in the shower / walk out their front door.

Have them watch the TV show "1000 ways to die" and it illustrates all of the stupid ways people get killed from every day activities.

Getting injured while riding is much better than getting Diabetes from sitting on the couch eating Cheetos!!!

Posted: Aug 30, 2013 at 15:04 Quote
My wife does not ride and I actually picked up riding after we got married, so it's not like I can say, "You knew this about me when we got married". I made the mistake once of showing her some of my goPro footage and I guess she just assumed I was slowly moving along paved paths in spandex or something because she was horrified. My wife has realized though that if I don't get my rides in I start to go crazy and everyone is better off when I get "me time" or "bro time" on my bike. If your significant other cares about you and understands you, understanding of your need to get loose should come on its own. If not, you guys probably are not compatible. Moral of the story, if riding is important to you, she should understand that.

Posted: Sep 16, 2013 at 8:30 Quote
Great reply from ms1trailbender

I would like to add that driving a car every day is one of the most dangerous activities anyone can do. There are probably plenty of things you do everyday which is more dangerous than your riding. But we cant live in a box and have no life based on fear either. given this is almost 1 year old, How is it all going right now?

Posted: Sep 16, 2013 at 11:42 Quote
Well we actually broke up (for several reasons). But I plan on making it clear to any new interests that I'm going to get hurt biking at some point, and it's just inevitable. And if they can't accept that then gtfo.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016956
Mobile Version of Website