What are these things called?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
What are these things called?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 18:27 Quote
What are the things that make the super loud clicking noise on some people's bikes?! I don't know what they're called, but I want mine to be louder! :-) Mine is louder than average, BUT WHAT ARE THEY CALLED?! I can't figure it out!!! Haha(:

Thanks(:

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:04 Quote
The buzzing or clicking noise you are asking about is coming from inside the drive hubs and are the pawls clicking as they dis-engage and re-engage on the contact points pretty much simplified. Ones that have more pawls and engagement points are going to be louder. If want yours louder than you will need to take the hub apart and take some of the lube out of the pawl and contact area so they can be louder. I never usually recommend doing this, as it will wear down the pawls faster than if it they were lubed good..

The more pawls and engagement points in a drive hub, the more instant engagement you will have. Hope this helps...cheers..Beer

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:05 Quote
lol. some hubs are really loud.

profile and hope hubs are quite loud I believe.

personally I hate that noise, I prefer silent ones Big Grin

and if your a huge hack some people take their hub apart and degrease everything, and bend some metal tabs so that they " hit" harder making more noise

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:07 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
lol. some hubs are really loud.

profile and hope hubs are quite loud I believe.

personally I hate that noise, I prefer silent ones Big Grin

and if your a huge hack some people take their hub apart and degrease everything, and bend some metal tabs so that they " hit" harder making more noise

Yeah, Profile, Industrial Nine "I-9" (what I have), Chris Kings, Hope Pro, and a few more are pretty loud. The I-9's are the ones they call the..."angry buzzing bees"

Personally I love to hear the sound of the I-9's "angry buzzing bee's sound. It is awesome, but the others like the Profil and Chris Kings are too mechanical sounding and loud...lol

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:13 Quote
I had Hope hubs a long time ago and loved the loud noise. Last week i bought some Easton Havoc and i can't hear the hub at all. I think i like this better.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:16 Quote
ya, my DJ bike is "angry bees" haha
my freeride is silent, I like it Big Grin

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:19 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
I had Hope hubs a long time ago and loved the loud noise. Last week i bought some Easton Havoc and i can't hear the hub at all. I think i like this better.

Those Havics are really nice, but if you ever get a chance to fly with or even try a Industrial Nine Hub, jump on it and you will love it bro. They are 120 point, 3 degree engagement, 6 pawl mechanism that give you very instant engagement and are not loud like all the others, but make a very sweet sounding "angry buzzing bee's" sound that grab attention fast...lol

I have run many different hubs and they are tip top.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:26 Quote
ChiliPepper1 wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:

Those Havics are really nice, but if you ever get a chance to fly with or even try a Industrial Nine Hub, jump on it and you will love it bro. They are 120 point, 3 degree engagement, 6 pawl mechanism that give you very instant engagement and are not loud like all the others, but make a very sweet sounding "angry buzzing bee's" sound that grab attention fast...lol

I have run many different hubs and they are tip top.

I've spent so much money on bikes the last 12 months, i don't think the wife would be too impressed if i bought another wheeelset!
Maybe one day someone below pension age will move house near to me and i'll have a buddy to ride with and try other bikes.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:29 Quote
Views: 46,894    Faves: 415    Comments: 36

http://www.turbospoke.com/

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:31 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
I've spent so much money on bikes the last 12 months, i don't think the wife would be too impressed if i bought another wheeelset!
Maybe one day someone below pension age will move house near to me and i'll have a buddy to ride with and try other bikes.

I feel ya brother, I truly feel ya. We are not getting any younger (body for me....lol), and the wife's are not so forgiving when we spend a lot of money on the bikes...lol

I am so glad my wife rides as well, and my 14 year old son has become an solid ripper. tup

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:32 Quote
Damned that wheel is soooo loud....lol Awesome video though...thanks for sharing.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:36 Quote
ya that was great. I actually want one to just for messing about lol

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:41 Quote
I used to put playing cards on my bike to make that noise when i was 12 years old. Sorry to be a killjoy but adults doing that is LAMEFacepalm Facepalm Facepalm

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:43 Quote
you know that was one of last years April fools right?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014923
Mobile Version of Website