whats with all the swearing

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
whats with all the swearing
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:25 Quote
why do people swear so much on pinkbike its not like the people reading arent going to get your point i think that its gay to do and theres no reason for it i just read a forum about nwd8 and theres probaly about 10000000 swear words in it

Mod
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:33 Quote
It just reflects how many of these people talk in real life. That being said, excessive swearing gets dealt with if we find it.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:43 Quote
That, and there are a few people that I have noticed lately that truly do not know how to speak English.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:44 Quote
its a way of expressing your self or getting your point across...

Mod
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:45 Quote
We try and do the best that we can with the resources we have. That being said, there are more threads than mods. If there is something that needs to be dealt with immediately, private message a mod and they will be more than willing to deal with it. The mods try to “weed out” the posts that go against the rules or are just irrelevant and stupid but we can’t do it without your help. That is why the site developers created the “report post” button.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:55 Quote
frankly, swearing doesn't really mean too much to me any more. maybe in years to come we'll see it as bad.

think anyone saw much wrong with the word n*gger until 50 or so years ago? on the other hand, the bar on swearing is always getting raised (for obvious reasons, if you think about it)

you could blame it on pop culture or whatever, but pop culture doesn't cause social change; rather it reflects it.
so sit tight, in 10 years you'll wonder why this thread needed to happen

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:57 Quote
freerideaddictscott wrote:
why do people swear so much on pinkbike its not like the people reading arent going to get your point i think that its gay to do and theres no reason for it i just read a forum about nwd8 and theres probaly about 10000000 swear words in it

if u have a problem with it TO BAD

it is just a way to express how u fell

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 18:58 Quote
freerideaddictscott wrote:

i find it ironic enough that you use the word gay to criticize people's language.

Mod
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:00 Quote
well, if it gets to be more than a couple swears in a post...(like ______ that ______ or it F*ing sucks) stuff like that tends to get deleted, as it really does nothing for a thread.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:02 Quote
to terriflow (or whatever other mod) :

is it like, say f*ck 4 times, mod removes it, or context?

i would say intent is so much more important to post deleting than actual language. does it matter to you guys too, or what?

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:05 Quote
nwd26 wrote:
to terriflow (or whatever other mod) :

is it like, say f*ck 4 times, mod removes it, or context?

i would say intent is so much more important to post deleting than actual language. does it matter to you guys too, or what?

tell you the truth if the content of what being said is good i can read through the swearing...i dont get offended by swearing...

Mod
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:06 Quote
well.. if you said f* four times in one post, it likely would get deleted, unless it had good content or it was incredibly long. Yes content makes a big difference, but still there is no reason to use excessive language.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:07 Quote
depends on the thread too, like if your telling a story about crashing or whatever it would be different if you were suggesting parts...

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:15 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:
but still there is no reason to use excessive language.

This here is really all that needs to be said on the matter in my books. An educated person never has to swear, they choose to do so. Take out a thesaurus and there are 1000s of words to convey emotion a lot better than the f word ever could.

That being said, sure in real life I swear a ton. When it comes to a site that is heavily populated with younger members, I personally think it has no place if people would just slow down for a minute and think of alternate words. Like I said though, swearing is a want not a need.

Posted: Dec 29, 2007 at 19:21 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
That being said, sure in real life I swear a ton. When it comes to a site that is heavily populated with younger members, I personally think it has no place if people would just slow down for a minute and think of alternate words. Like I said though, swearing is a want not a need.

thin line though. sure i could get my point across without making like the u.s. and dropping mad (f-) bombs, but are these younger (mind and body) members going to get what the hell i'm saying? look no further than the "does anyone pay attention" thread in you want proof. so you have a choice, really - make sure the immature kids get you, and look immature and crude yourself, or take the chance they'll skim over your post because they don't get it, but take the moral high road.

have to admit, a good 70% of the time, i do NOT take the high road. and there's not much as satisfying as trotting out the f-word in times of need.

i'm really curious to see how this thread plays out, especially considering how other intellectual/language threads have turned out.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010173
Mobile Version of Website