To old to start :/

PB Forum :: Beginners
To old to start :/
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 3, 2013 at 8:39 Quote
hi all im a dad of 4 sons just strarted getting back in to bikes at 31 lol ,went out and bought a cheap hardtail mountin bike (apollo) to go for rides with kids im loving it i can still go downhill allmost as good as when i was 18 lol did 4th ride today 14mile Smile just want a better bike now im looking at spending around £300 second hand hardtail Smile

so how old was you when you got back in to bikes Smile

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 11:57 Quote
51, last time I had a bike it was transport to and from school not a hobby! Needed something safe and gentle as I get older

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 8:41 Quote
williamz wrote:
hi all im a dad of 4 sons just strarted getting back in to bikes at 31 lol ,went out and bought a cheap hardtail mountin bike (apollo) to go for rides with kids im loving it i can still go downhill allmost as good as when i was 18 lol did 4th ride today 14mile Smile just want a better bike now im looking at spending around £300 second hand hardtail Smile

so how old was you when you got back in to bikes Smile

From the title I assumed you think you are to old - well, you really are not.

Personally, I think you are never to old to start riding a bike. Even if you never learned it.

A friend of mine started at 32. Two years later, and he is riding almost like a pro Smile ) and a couple of his friends too - same story. And ther are not riding like sissys either. A few of them are DH riders.

I really can't say much because I was riding bikes since... I can remember Smile )

If you enjoy it - just go for it!

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 13:31 Quote
Never too old to start!

I'm a 33 year old father of 2. All i used to ride for was to get to work occasionally and family bike rides.

I've got a custom built 4x bike i bought on a whim and just got a cheapo bmx. Hadn't ridden in anger for about 10years until getting the 4x bike. It all makes sense when the winds rushing through the full face and you've got it pinned! I'm never going to be going massive like the kids but i'm enjoying it and thats all that matters.......we have to get up for work the next day and pay the bills too

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 13:54 Quote
Seriously I was 51 when I started mountain biking, last time I rode was on a road bike to and from school. At 16 the bike got nicked do I bought a moped instead.

I also race 4x4's off road, I bought the bike to get fitter and to make it easier to check out the course before the race. 4 days after buying a s/h bike I had a viral infection in my inner ear and completely lost my sense of balance. I started riding after 3 months but really struggled (if I looked behind I fell off) 2 years later I am much better and I am starting to rebuild my bike as I want it.
I am fortunate to live in mid Wales, forest trails within 1/2 mile of my house so I get out at weekends in the winter and 4-5 days a week in the summer.
I also have a form of arthritis and a serious shoulder injury that stopped me rock climbing. If I can start in my early 50's you youngsters in your thirties should have no problems!
I have lost a stone in weight and feel a lot better than I did 5 years ago, it has been hugely beneficial. Only problem has been the cost as I have ended up buying bikes for my wife and 3 children!

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 14:30 Quote
Got divorced at 33. It was either spend thousands on therapy or a Devinci Frantik.

I chose correctly.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 14:34 Quote
black-mantra wrote:
Seriously I was 51 when I started mountain biking, last time I rode was on a road bike to and from school. At 16 the bike got nicked do I bought a moped instead.

I also race 4x4's off road, I bought the bike to get fitter and to make it easier to check out the course before the race. 4 days after buying a s/h bike I had a viral infection in my inner ear and completely lost my sense of balance. I started riding after 3 months but really struggled (if I looked behind I fell off) 2 years later I am much better and I am starting to rebuild my bike as I want it.
I am fortunate to live in mid Wales, forest trails within 1/2 mile of my house so I get out at weekends in the winter and 4-5 days a week in the summer.
I also have a form of arthritis and a serious shoulder injury that stopped me rock climbing. If I can start in my early 50's you youngsters in your thirties should have no problems!
I have lost a stone in weight **which was a good thing since my stones are so f'ing big that it was hard to pedal** and feel a lot better than I did 5 years ago, it has been hugely beneficial. Only problem has been the cost as I have ended up buying bikes for my wife and 3 children!

Fixed your post.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2013 at 4:36 Quote
I bought my first proper mtb at 35 Xmas just gone I bought a dh bike and so far have done cwmcarrn forest of dean and heading to UK bike park next weekend. I also live within easy reach of Aston hill. Granted between kids misses and work I don't get out as much as I would like. To old? Never!!!!

FL
Posted: Feb 24, 2013 at 5:15 Quote
started back mtbing at 41 last year after being out of the scene for 18 years, started on a xc hard tail then went to a full susser and decided that i was going to go to morzine as i had some time to kill.........

just about survived, 2 cracked ribs, dislocated shoulder and some serious bruises, BUT absolutely loved it, going back this year with a better bike, better protection and my son.

age does not matter, do what you want to do biking wise, i may not be the one with the most skill, most speed or most air when i ride, but i can guarantee i will be the one with the biggest smile at the bottom!!!

as for bike go for the best that you can afford, look at reviews etc ask opinions, you really do get what you pay for.

have fun!!

Posted: Mar 7, 2013 at 2:06 Quote
Hey,
I'm just getting back into it & I'm 39, married with 3 kids. The boys love my bikes but the ladies of the house aren't bothered (lazy Wink )

The club I belong to have a lot of different aged members.

I'm a bit chicken at the mo to try DH, but just loving getting out there and tearing it around the local trail or nice easy rides with the kids.

Never too old tup

Posted: May 8, 2013 at 15:12 Quote
I'm 72 yrs young.
Been riding bikes since my teens. Basically never really stopped riding.
Now I am a trail rider; no jumps, no downhills, just trails.
Riding abandoned railway line trails (easy), some conservation areas (more difficult) and gravel concession roads.
I ride my Giant Iguana with goodies in a front handlebar bag + a backpack + lots of water - ready for anything, I think.
I can go for 2+ hours.
Keeps me young, both physically and attitudeSmile
Just Ride Man!!!

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 1:32 Quote
I started riding in 1990, and took a huge break. Just getting back into it, I'm 36 this year, hugely fat and wheezy, but loving it. Feel better that I have in years, and the weight is melting away. As you get older your psyche changes slightly and are less inclined to do the extreme stuff, but that too goes with more practice and confidence... Go for it, as WalterPump says "Just Ride Man"!! Big Grin

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 3:12 Quote
alphadynamic wrote:
I started riding in 1990, and took a huge break. Just getting back into it, I'm 36 this year, hugely fat and wheezy, but loving it. Feel better that I have in years, and the weight is melting away. As you get older your psyche changes slightly and are less inclined to do the extreme stuff, but that too goes with more practice and confidence... Go for it, as WalterPump says "Just Ride Man"!! Big Grin

I found the opposite. As i got older i found myself getting bored with the usual XC and am slowly getting more and more extreme/stupid. Once you get back into it proper you might find your inclination changes Smile

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 4:20 Quote
I'm 41 and really getting into 4x. Looking at DH soonish as well, cant get enough of the gravity type riding. I also suck at riding up hills Smile

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 5:53 Quote
And here I was worries 25 was too old to start.... Razz

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021516
Mobile Version of Website