Shoulder Impact

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 at 11:26 Quote
Hey All. I hit a tree, shoulder first, about 3 years ago now. I've been battling with Doctors ever since who basically have said "what do you want us to do about it?"

I still get a lot of pain in my side after riding (possibly Latissimus Dorsi or Serratus Anterior) to the extent that I can't sleep on my right side, and also Trapezius stiffness.

I've tried self massage, anti-inflammatory gels and pills, Yoga, stretching. Have had Physio for Rhomboid Minor insertion tendinitis which seems to have sorted that out, but have now run out of cash for treatment.

If anyone out there has any more ideas I'd be really grateful.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 18, 2013 at 2:08 Quote
Cheers Darkstar. Have had neck MRI'd but not shoulder - as I was getting numbness/ pain in right hand. Also had nerve test in right arm for the same reason (all was okay).

Will pressure them further though. They seem to be concentrating on symptoms rather than what I think is the cause. Physio thought it was tendon damage causing the pain in hand.

Will keep you posted.

Posted: Feb 18, 2013 at 3:56 Quote
i dislocated my collar bone and have had issues with it to....
I tried heaps of things but the one thing that helped was Acupunture!
and and excursise i made my self!
Get a piece of rope about 120cm in lenth and an old broom handle or some thing similar, put a dive weight etc on the end of the rope and the other end to the broom handle.
start with the weight at the bottom with your arms out in front of you, at shoulder height.
twist the rope up alternating your hands until it reaches the top then reverse your motion until to weight goes all the way down then back up. this is not only excellent for helping with arm pump but is great to build strenght up in you shoulders.
It will make you work hard as it not as easy as it sounds
Start small and work your way up to some thing heavier!
i hope this works as good as it has for me...
Good luck and let me know if it works
Cheers

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 4:52 Quote
Thanks Drop-bear. Will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 at 4:46 Quote
drop-bear wrote:
i dislocated my collar bone and have had issues with it to....
I tried heaps of things but the one thing that helped was Acupunture!
and and excursise i made my self!
Get a piece of rope about 120cm in lenth and an old broom handle or some thing similar, put a dive weight etc on the end of the rope and the other end to the broom handle.
start with the weight at the bottom with your arms out in front of you, at shoulder height.
twist the rope up alternating your hands until it reaches the top then reverse your motion until to weight goes all the way down then back up. this is not only excellent for helping with arm pump but is great to build strenght up in you shoulders.
It will make you work hard as it not as easy as it sounds
Start small and work your way up to some thing heavier!
i hope this works as good as it has for me...
Good luck and let me know if it works
Cheers
Dropbear thanks for your post. That sounds worth a try. Charged the ground with my shoulder a few months ago, nothing broken but shit did it hurt. Didn't sleep well for a couple weeks. Still has a spot that is being stubborn. Tried a few exercises including small kettle bells but no luck. Interesting you had good results from acupuncture. I had this years ago for different injury and it worked great. I had forgotten until I read your post so might have to find someone.

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 at 8:37 Quote
All good... i hope that it will help you get some results!
I reckon that a dislocation is far worse then a break and iam still having trouble with my shoulder, but it is getting stronger all the time.
Happy trailsSmile

Posted: Apr 27, 2013 at 13:03 Quote
Have been dealing with shoulder problems since a dislocation years ago. My left shoulder is now loose and the rotator cuff shot. Im hesistant to have surgery as im not up for a season off the bike. So i have resorsted to shoulder excersises like previously mentioned and a shoulder brace. The brace seems to help a lot. Both EVS and TLD have a good brace similar in design. Im currently using the EVS one. It snugs your arm up into the socket and provides extra support. I honestly cant ride without it or my arm pops out of socket. Might want to give it a look.

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 3:33 Quote
9 years ago I smashed my shoulder real bad dislocated mu collar bone and broke it in 2 places. Had a opp the day after and had a rode put in. After time off my bike I got back rideing again but after a while the rode in my shoulder moved and I did nothing about it after 8 years the rode had moved that much it was sticking out by my neck. So I finely went to the hospital . I was told stop bikeing now and we mean now and was told if I was to fall on my shoulder it could kill me. 2 weeks latter I had the rode removed . Now I get pain a lot with a clicking sound to I've not got much feeling in my shoulder in fact it feel numb as it has nerve damge. Now I've been useing a rowing machin for a week and a half and I have to say I did get pain at the start but now nothing . It seems to have really opened up the shoulder where as mtb doesn't becouse your in one static stance . I say get to a gym and give it a go . It really did help me

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 5:44 Quote
Good advise guys!
iam waiting for crc to get the evs brace in so i can get one. Are the size charts about right?
And i wish i had a rowing machine but iam heading back to Oz from europe in a few months and it is not on my prioity list at the moment but i will look into it when i get back.

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 5:48 Quote
drop-bear wrote:
Good advise guys!
iam waiting for crc to get the evs brace in so i can get one. Are the size charts about right?
And i wish i had a rowing machine but iam heading back to Oz from europe in a few months and it is not on my prioity list at the moment but i will look into it when i get back.
not shore on the sizing on those I did look into getting one. One really good thing about crc is if it don't fit it's easy to send back and exchange

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 18:12 Quote
To get a proper fit with the evs brace I had to go with a medium despite being 6'5". I am a skinny mofo though. It takes a bit to get used to and it does pinch a bit but it will hold your shoulder in place. Only complaint is that it has started to rip a bit. Think I will spring for the TLD one when this one goes to crap. Design looks the same and TLDs stuff is alwasy top notch. The evs one works well but the quality isnt the greatest just like anything evs.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012460
Mobile Version of Website