Night Photo tips

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Night Photo tips
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2013 at 13:31 Quote
Hey guys I want to take better night photos. I've played around a bit with it and have gotten one semi decent night sky shot, but i'm looking for more advice.

so i've done some digging and what i've found is tripod,~15-30 shutter, f/high# (crisp and in focus landscapes), low ISO (because grain sucks and have tripod anyways), everything manual mode makes for a good shot. Also shoot in RAW but idk why?
what kind of advice would you give if you wanted to take this kind of picture? http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17500000/Winter-forest-at-night-snowflake-pack-17564495-1680-1050.jpg

I shoot with an olympus EPL1 but also interested if its possible to do semi good on a gopro sd (the very fisrt model? just for fun)

thank you for any advice you can give

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 17:22 Quote
Rangemaster, how is your night photography going?
Send a link to an example and i'll give you some help if i can.

from you list, important things you're missing include
- a v cheap shutter release cable, or simply use the timer on your camera if your exposure is under 30sec. It's important to keep your camera absolutely shake free. Also use mirror lock-up or live view to prevent unnecessary shutter vibrations.
- if your camera can shoot in raw, make sure you do. Shooting in raw gives you the maximum possible file size/information in each photograph. You will need a program such as Adobe Lightroom to preview, process and export your raw files to photographs (e.g., jpegs). Raw files are not really photographs, more like data files.
- generally keep your iso as low as possible. It's worth investigating at what ISO your camera will start to produce very noisey images. For example, my camera can shoot pretty well up to 6400 ISO, then it rapidly deteriorates. So i never bother to shoot above 6400 because i know my images will start to become very noisy and recovery in Lightroom will be difficult.
- f-stop/aperture. this is a difficult one. if you want to get your whole scene in acceptably sharp focus, you need to shoot with a smaller aperture (e.g., f11). however, this will increase your exposure time. This is a bit of a mammoth issue so i'll wait and see if my comments are read....
good luck

Posted: Nov 12, 2013 at 21:29 Quote
The link you had given is extremely good. The photo shot was absolutely amazing.

vente appartement

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 14:27 Quote
Thanks for the tips, sorry its a month late. I have some examples, but haven't persued night photography too much. here is an example though. https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10344737/ yeah i'm finding out that raw is a better format to work in... as for a remote shutter, epl1 is like the only olympus camera without a remote shutter. but i have done these with like a 2s timer and tripod

I don't trust ISO so I just keep it at 200. i could safely go to 1000 but after it makes significantly noticeable noise.

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 at 20:19 Quote
Basically what you want is a long shutter speed 30-60 seconds, iso around 800-1600 even 400 sometimes and a low f stop like as low at your lens will go, I use around 3.5. Shooting in raw doesn't matter all that much unless you plan on doing a bunch of editing after. try and keep pointed away from the moonlight or any other light that could invade in the picture. here is a picture I took with my rebel t2i, completely un-edited. Hope this helps!
Turned out pretty cool

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011416
Mobile Version of Website